• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
While traditional GOP orthodoxy rejects regulation out of hand, not to mention that this Congress has been the most anti-regulation in recent memory, these lawmakers are flipping that script on its head when it comes to what they see as an assault on conservative talking heads.

You mean conservatives are hypocrites only interested in progressing an agenda of supremacy and consolidation of wealth?

No fucking shit.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"When I talk to leftists, they really just, some of them just do not have, even though they've got a lot of cognitive ability, they're wired so differently that they can't rationally put themselves in the mind-set of a conservative,"
That is correct.
I cannot understand the irrational hated they have towrads things they don't understand and don't affect them in the sligtest.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
unless companies like Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube can prove they're treating conservative—even the alt-right trolls—content the same as they treat liberal, progressive, and mainstream material.
They don't, but it's not in the direction these idiots think it is.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
By far one of the most frustrating and demoralizing aspects of our (American) society is that the people who control every branch of government and lever of power, who have a culture that caters to their desires and politicians that protect and promote their religion, will loudly insist that YOU are opressing THEM at any chance they get. Straight White Christians will take every element of society for themselves they can and not even allow you to feel solidarity with others over being a victim. They get to be the conquerors and the victims.

Facebook could make people register Republican to post and it will still be called left wing media created by elitist Hollywood liberals. The only thing left of the conservative identity at this point is that they are persecuted victims of the left and nothing will make them give that up. That's why it's so unfortunate to see websites like Reddit debase themselves to right white lunatics who are never going to be happy with what accomodations you make for them.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't surprising, conservatives are entirely based on the orthodoxy of maintaining control and certainty.That means that initially they will resist changes to the status quo, but again that's only because changes to the stays quo are the main way it comes up. Conservatism is about power, not tradition. Tradition is just the most obvious vector to ensure power and certainty.

Last edited:

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The party of free speech, free market and small government huh? Maybe my "leftist" lack of cognitive ability is not allowing me to see it.

Branu

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Not sure what the GOP is concerned about, since Silicon Valley is teeming with supporters who're more than willing to aid and abet the spread of alt-right agitprop. Don't think they'll need legislation to facilitate their desired progress on that front. This just illustrates how out of touch most of these lawmakers are about technology.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Literally all I see on most of my social media is insane "right-leaning" news/memes/images/comments. I'd appreciate it if they increased the less racist/bigoted/hate side of these "algorithms".

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess they missed the recent news about how facebook protects borderline illegal right-wing content.

Not to mention, some of the stuff on social media is already illegal by some European countries' laws, I wonder how they intent to handle basically promoting illegal content

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, as if SV wasn't already infected to the core by dipshit techno-libertarians.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They're scared of the internet because the internet distributes information. They don't like distribution of information because that causes people to identify the current republican party as shit.

The internet is also good for distributing Trump and Russian propaganda. If it wasn't for Twitter and Facebook, Trump might have lost.

The alt right was born on the internet.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I serioiusly doubt this is going much of anywhere atm given the shoddy state of House leadership, but that requires winning in November to kill it for good.

The lack of self-awareness is laughable

^^^

I laugh so bitterly when I hear chucklefucks like KKKing use "conservative" to justify deciding winners and losers. It's like, come out of the closet poltically already. You're a statist bigot.

As always they full well know this isn't about free speech and they don't believe in that or democracy. It's just about propaganda and power.

They're also fully trapped in the language and thinking of scientific racism, always framing everything as "biological differences" and "these people simply don't think the way we do because of Their Wiring".

And while theoretically holding internet companies more responsible might be good, I'd assume here it's being used merely as a scare tactic to keep companies from banning right wing propaganda. Companies know how much shit they'd be in if they were liable for the stuff they allow to be posted to drive clicks.

I'm worried this is trying to muddy the waters on slapping social media conglomerates around for 2016 cuz you know, IT HELPED THEM.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
source.gif

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Silicon Valley to GOP: Get fucked. Seriously though, I am not sure the GOP is going to win this one. The whole venture capital, Silicon Valley lifestyle seems to be a world removed from conservatism.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"When I talk to leftists, they really just, some of them just do not have, even though they've got a lot of cognitive ability, they're wired so differently that they can't rationally put themselves in the mind-set of a conservative," King lectured just off the House floor. "So, therefore, their reasoning ability just doesn't have the circuits to make an objective judgement."

This is amazing projection. An insane person wondering why everyone else doesn't see it his way and it not even crossing his mind that he is the irrational one. Or maybe we simply aren't wired for unreflective evil like Steve King.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
I agree, there's something wrong with the biased, illogical way media is being distributed over the web. For example, we're still treating Steve King like his opinion matters

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
it really is astonishing that social media companies can somehow make themselves hated by literally everybody on the political spectrum

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"When I talk to leftists, they really just, some of them just do not have, even though they've got a lot of cognitive ability, they're wired so differently that they can't rationally put themselves in the mind-set of a conservative," King lectured just off the House floor. "So, therefore, their reasoning ability just doesn't have the circuits to make an objective judgement."

Wh..at...?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't these platforms have the right to free speech? Isn't it their choice what to host and what to promote? How is it their responsibility to promote GOP messages?

Fuck this shit.