• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do we know he isn't hiring asian chef/sous-chefs? He isn't personally cooking in these restaurants.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
If there's someone that I trust to do food right, no matter where it's from, it's probably Gordon Ramsay.

Jul 18, 2018
Forget giving that site any clicks.
So, is Ramsey going to be hiring Asian chefs and staff? Or are people jealous/envious because they can't break into the Asian scene so they are attacking him.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Not giving Fox News clicks.
some highlights:

The "revolutionary new venture and concept for the group…is set to be an authentic Asian Eating House and vibrant late-night lounge, inspired by the drinking dens of 1930s Tokyo and the Far East," according to a press release, per Eater.

"I can't wait to open the doors at Lucky Cat and bring a new flavor of Asian food and culture to Mayfair. I can honestly say there will not be a bad seat in the house — every table will have a unique view and each guest will come away having experienced something sensational — whether it be the phenomenal menu, the amazing service or the stunning look and feel," Ramsay said in a statement.

The name of the restaurant was inspired by Asian culture "where the 'lucky cat' is a talisman that is believed to attract good luck and fortune" to go along with the "authenticity of the concept."

"The new restaurant highlights Gordon Ramsay Restaurants' continued innovation and creativity and is set to become the go-to destination for exquisite, authentic Asian cuisine and culture in the heart of Mayfair, thriving on an ethos of respect and passion that is channeled into every dish."

"Leading the charge on the innovative menu" will be self-proclaimed "tofu-freak" Ben Orpwood who joined Ramsay's group last year.

The announcement emphasizes Orpwood's "extensive experience in the realm of Asian cuisine."

However, many on Twitter are firing back at the idea that a restaurant could be authentic without an Asian chef leading the charge. Others noted that "Asian" is not a specific type of cuisine.

and they have links to angry tweets about it at the bottom

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I was just in Japan a few months ago and every non-Japanese restaurant I went to, (Italian, American, Mediterranean, Indian, Chinese, Korean), were all owned and operated by Japanese people, as far as I can tell. Wondering why I didn't hear any outcry about that.

I really never felt like Western culture, or other asian cultures, were being appropriated, but maybe it has something to do with him being famous...like if he wasn't famous it wouldn't be appropriation? Or am I way off here? I will say he also owns a Burger restaurant in Las Vegas and he's British, so isn't that itself kind of appropriation of American cuisine? Or should maybe anyone be able to cook whatever they want?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As long as Ramsay is respecting the original cuisine and dishes, which he seems to be doing, what exactly is the problem here?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
How is the food supposed to be "authentic" Asian cuisine while also displaying this British guy's "innovation and creativity"?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
If the food is good, that's all that matters. I have been to authentic Asian restaurants I love to death and also ones I didn't like much. Color of skin doesn't determine quality of food.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
What's more important than someone from a cretain ethnicity is a taste pallate when it comes to food. if a white dude can make the best burrito then feed me!

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
I was just in Japan a few months ago and every non-Japanese restaurant I went to, (Italian, American, Mediterranean, Indian, Chinese, Korean), were all owned and operated by Japanese people, as far as I can tell. Wondering why I didn't hear any outcry about that.

I really never felt like Western culture, or other asian cultures, were being appropriated, but maybe it has something to do with him being famous...like if he wasn't famous it wouldn't be appropriation? Or am I way off here? I will say he also owns a Burger restaurant in Las Vegas and he's British, so isn't that itself kind of appropriation of American cuisine? Or should maybe anyone be able to cook whatever they want?
Yeah same. Kabob is hella popular in Japan after a night of drinking. I didn't feel like my culture was being appropriated at all. I thought it was dope that Japanese ppl like to party with mycultures food lol.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with him opening an Asian restaurant. Charging 3x the price though sounds scummy.

Baka Sempai

Oct 30, 2017
This is so incredibly stupid aside the point that I wont five foxnews any clicks, but really ? REALLY ?

I have been to so many restaurants which sell all kinds of food like italian, thai, greek, middle eastern and all I always see is hispanic chefs doing the prep and cooking, I guess I better go tell them they're doing cuisine appropriation.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Is he hiring an asian chef or someone trained extensively by one? Food is meant to be shared.
The person designing the menu isn't Asian but appears to have worked at several Asian restaurants. Dunno what kind of prestige they hold, but you know Ramsay isn't going to hire just any chef off the street.

There's nothing wrong with him opening an Asian restaurant. Charging 3x the price though sounds scummy.

That's the OP editorializing.

Jan 10, 2018
I know I'm supposed to be angry at libtards, but...

some highlights:

The "revolutionary new venture and concept for the group…is set to be an authentic Asian Eating House and vibrant late-night lounge, inspired by the drinking dens of 1930s Tokyo and the Far East," according to a press release, per Eater.

"I can't wait to open the doors at Lucky Cat and bring a new flavor of Asian food and culture to Mayfair. I can honestly say there will not be a bad seat in the house — every table will have a unique view and each guest will come away having experienced something sensational — whether it be the phenomenal menu, the amazing service or the stunning look and feel," Ramsay said in a statement.

The name of the restaurant was inspired by Asian culture "where the 'lucky cat' is a talisman that is believed to attract good luck and fortune" to go along with the "authenticity of the concept."

"The new restaurant highlights Gordon Ramsay Restaurants' continued innovation and creativity and is set to become the go-to destination for exquisite, authentic Asian cuisine and culture in the heart of Mayfair, thriving on an ethos of respect and passion that is channeled into every dish."

"Leading the charge on the innovative menu" will be self-proclaimed "tofu-freak" Ben Orpwood who joined Ramsay's group last year.

The announcement emphasizes Orpwood's "extensive experience in the realm of Asian cuisine."

However, many on Twitter are firing back at the idea that a restaurant could be authentic without an Asian chef leading the charge. Others noted that "Asian" is not a specific type of cuisine.

and they have links to angry tweets about it at the bottom

I cringed at the selfdescription

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
He fucked up Pad Thai tho

And judging by that, he probably doesn't know what good Asian food is.

One problem here is that he's purporting this as bringing this as 'bringing Asian cuisine to Mayfair' as if it was some new thing to be brought in, or that he's the right person to bring it into the area. He's clearly not.

The other problem is that there are so many examples of foreign food needing to be 'westernized' before it can be accepted by Caucasians. Prices, presentation, etc. The article states that prices are going to be higher, which isn't a surprise. Ugly Delicious pulls no punches when talking about this problem.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
So were are gate-keeping food now? I'm Mexican and one of my favorite taco places is run and owned by South Korean-American's and it's fucking delicious.

Oct 27, 2017
The discussion around cooking and the spirit of cooking as a culture is a subject that is still pretty early in becoming a full formed concept.

Like, what makes it "authentic"? Is it the technique? The ingredients? The people who make it? The location it's made? All of the above? Some of the above? It's complicated. Ramsey likely views cooking as a vacuum that can be done by anyone and separates it in that regard from the original culture. Not that the original culture is forgotten - but not restricting who can make it and who can learn from it.

Also after reading the article, nothing says he isn't hiring chefs from the original culture. I dunno why people are making that assumption.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I don't see how this is a problem. Food is something that is made to be enjoyed and shared. And coming from someone like Gordon Ramsay, there's not a chance in hell he's going to let himself or the people he hires disgrace the dishes themselves.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand. Isn't food meant to be eaten and shared? What's wrong with people cooking the food they like to eat?

Honestly, what's wrong with this?

It's more about passing off an inauthentic version of a dish as the real thing or representative of a culture. Especially for a profit.

This probably isn't a case of that. Though it'll get people offended about other people being offended.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
At least he wasn't like Andrew Zimmerman and say he was brining real asian food to cities with big Asian populations

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So you cant cook pizza unless you're italian?

i made this just the other day

0064144043420_CL_version_type_large.jpeg

it was meh

Status
Not open for further replies.