• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to hear your take on the album.

I love it but I think it's a little all over the place compared to the others(not that that's a bad thing)
I think it's brilliant, lots of thematic weight about the decline of moral decency and the human condition. The album feels like a slide into depravity and fear, giving into hatred. The album ends with a peppy little call to arms but it's limp and intentionally so - We've GOT the power, but we probably won't use it.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is a brand new album. No, it's not B-Sides. Albarn and Hewlett pointed out that they didn't want to wait a bunch of more years for a new album because they're getting old, they're getting back on the same page and they'd rather ride the high while they still can.

This seems like a conscious effort on part of the both of them to get back to some of the simplicity of the Gorillaz. Back when the only regular collaborator they really had was Del, when it was just a cartoon band making some good music. Putting together an album the likes of Plastic Beach and Humanz is a monumental effort of hundreds of collaborators. They're a fantastic coalescence of talent but stuff like that only really comes together in a "right place / right time" kind of fashion and usually ends with way too many years between music.

If Albarn and Hewlett are in the mood right now where they want to just pump out some good music and build the world they have, I'm all for it.

Fuck yes to all of this. Plus the collab here is "my friend made a dope ass cartoon so tie that in too"

gorrilaz man. Even when Damon just throwing shit at the wall like a money it's artful

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Humanz was one of the bigger disappointments of 2017 so I'm excited to see them move on from it so quickly.

Coming off of something like Plastic Beach made it even more disappointing.
imo PB is relatively incredibly weak, some really great songs and still a good album but it's the only gorillaz album that feels overly bloated and several songs on it are just not good

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell a new main album this soon?

Anyway, I like Humanz more than most people and I think the songs on there are better than the singles they released afterwards.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Make it more like Plastic Beach and Demon Days, and I'll literally buy a vinyl of it.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Jamie takes a lot of liberty with character appearances. Seeing her like this in this photo doesn't mean she won't look older in another image.

Ace also appears different, I think that image might be an old photo or something from Phase 1 to tie Ace in with the band.

Humanz is the most narratively consistent and thematically dense gorillaz album tho

Humanz is growing more and more on me, but I'm still having problems picking apart a narrative and still see each song as individual units.

imo PB is relatively incredibly weak, some really great songs and still a good album but it's the only gorillaz album that feels overly bloated and several songs on it are just not good

I will stan for Plastic Beach, it hit me when I was graduating college and it was my study album my final semester (along with Dark Twisted Fantasy) and still resonates with me well to this day. I think the album holds up incredibly well. Diff strokes.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I keep thinking about this and just going:

VictoryDance.gif

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
It can't get any worse than Humanz. I've been a huge Gorillaz fan since the first album was released, but Humanz was a huge disappointment filled with boring songs and a lack of real instruments.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Yeah, whatever happened to that?
Well technically he was still there. He was just changed to the Boogieman. He was supposed to be a character either voiced or played by Mos Def if I remember correctly. But that was most likely scrapped due to budget reasons. Same with the Evangelist.
latest

.....Plastic Beach and Phase 3 in general is just unfinished in all honesty.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Well technically he was still there. He was just changed to the Boogieman. He was supposed to be a character either voiced or played by Mos Def if I remember correctly. But that was most likely scrapped due to budget reasons. Same with the Evangelist.
latest

.....Plastic Beach and Phase 3 in general is just unfinished in all honesty.

OH yeah the random Internet Explorer contest thing? So weird. Yeah Phase 3 had so much promise and it all fizzled away with The Fall/DoYaThang.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
After the wait from Plastic Beach to Humanz (The Fall doesn't count) I wasn't expecting a new album this soon. I'm in

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
I think it's brilliant, lots of thematic weight about the decline of moral decency and the human condition. The album feels like a slide into depravity and fear, giving into hatred. The album ends with a peppy little call to arms but it's limp and intentionally so - We've GOT the power, but we probably won't use it.
I think it isn't so much that we've got it and we won't use it, it's that we have the illusion of power when we have none. The alarm bells of decency and logic are ringing and asking to step up to the altar of reason. But people have mostly forsaken reason, and will not go.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge Gorrilaz fan but Humans didn't really land for me. I liked a few of the songs but I could never just listen to it end to end like I could any of their other stuff. Hopefully this one will hit the right spot for me.

Also Plastic Beach is the best concept album ever made come at me brehs.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood has symptoms of the weak production Humanz suffered from but Ode to Idaho is a win in my book, I'm in.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
the only bad song on PB is "sweepstakes" and i will accept no claims to the contrary
Sweepstakes is the best track on Plastic Beach tho...

Hollywood has symptoms of the weak production Humanz suffered from but Ode to Idaho is a win in my book, I'm in.
I was at the Seattle show where they debuted Idaho, messed it up, and played it a second time. I thought it was awful back then, so I'm curious to see what the album version ends up being like.

Last edited:

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to be sure for the hundredth time: is this truly a new album, or a The Fall album type of situation?

Afterimage

Oct 27, 2017
That's weird - I had She's My Collar in my head all day today and then I see this news!

I'm going to do my best and not listen to any new tracks until the album's out!