Jun 5, 2018
Finally got around to this and have to say it felt good, in generation 2 Pokemon shininess is decided by the values of the Pokemon's stats, stats which can also be passed onto others by breeding, if anyone wants the specifics I can go into them but essentially it went like this,

I caught the red Gyarados (Male is easier for this) and bred it with a female ekans a Pokemon in both Gyarados and eevee'a egg group, in gen 2 the opposite gender interest the stats of that parent. The female ekans breeds with a Male ekans giving me a Male ekans that whole not shiny has the stats needed to pass that quality on, breeding the ekans with a female Eevee eventually gave me a female eevee with the needed starts and then finally breeding that female eevee with a random Male one gave me my shiny Eevee (odds were 1/64)

Only other thing to mention is you can't breed two Pokemon with the same stats together so you can't interbreed to do this.

Sorry if all of that was unclear, here's a much more cohesive guide.

Hatching Shiny Pokémon in Gold/Silver/Crystal // Nose Club

A guide for hatching Shiny Pokemon in Gold, Silver and Crystal, featuring an interactive egg group chart.

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I don't know if it's possible with the 3DS/VC versions, but in the Game Boy era you could transfer the red Gyarados to RBY and, after a few steps, you could get a shiny Ditto. Then, just transfer it to GSC and you had a 1/64 chance of getting any shiny Pokémon that could be hatched from an egg (Ditto + the Pokémon that you wanted a shiny version).

Video that I Googled with it:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I had SO MANY shinies on my copy of Gold back in the day from doing this. Send the red Gyarados back to Yellow, use it to catch a Ditto, bring the Ditto forward and it becomes shiny, then breed it with everything.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I don't know if it's possible with the 3DS/VC versions, but in the Game Boy era you could transfer the red Gyarados to RBY and, after a few steps, you could get a shiny Ditto. Then, just transfer it to GSC and you had a 1/64 chance of getting any shiny Pokémon that could be hatched from an egg (Ditto + the Pokémon that you wanted a shiny version).

I did this, I have like 8 shiny ditto in Pokemon home now thanks to it.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

I have said shiny ready to use in Yellow, but I always fail to catch the ditto since it can't be damaged due to the mimic setup. Any advice on how to use ultra balls? would be cool to stock up on shiny dittos and such via this

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I have said shiny ready to use in Yellow, but I always fail to catch the ditto since it can't be damaged due to the mimic setup. Any advice on how to use ultra balls? would be cool to stock up on shiny dittos and such via this
It's a kind of RNG-dependent strategy, since it means the Ditto can damage you, but I had pretty good success with great balls by just leaving the Gyarados's initial moveset mostly intact and Dragon Raging the Ditto into a much easier catch range on turn 2, then just stalling with the Pokéflute until it used Transform the second time. I managed to catch 2 of them in like 4 or 5 attempts with that strategy*. Though, I should mention I did that on Route 15 in Red, where the Ditto are level 26, so you might have to adjust a bit because I think all the Ditto in Yellow are either higher or lower than that.

*Well, calling it a strategy is kind of generous. Was basically just too lazy to min-max the setup so I kinda just winged it a bit.