• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Edn5ui9XkAAt-Ou
Screen_Shot_2020-07-23_at_12.34.47_PM.png
380f3c60-cd03-11ea-a9b6-03f96269c7c7
gunkthumb-1595517435559.jpg

State of Decay 3, Everwild, As Dusk Falls, & The Gunk respectively

The diversity they showed today should certainly be commended. To Microsoft & all of the developers attached to these games, good shit. Representation matters, & to see them deliver on that is worthy of praise. Granted, State of Decay 3 is probably gonna let you play as any survivor if the first two games are any indication. But to have a black woman as the poster woman for the game still deserves props.

Between Microsoft & Sony having more diverse leads lately, I'm liking where the industry is going with regards to gender & ethnic diversity in games. We still have a ways to go, but progress is progress.

Last edited:

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
Yup. I loved the show and all the games they showed, but this, to me, was really important and made the show much more special.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, that was pretty cool. Looking forward to more black women in gaming!
Same here, man. A shame Nintendo (the one I most actively follow) is lagging behind. But to see the others start to pick up the pace is reassuring for the future of the industry.

Yup. I loved the show and all the games they showed, but this, to me, was really important and made the show much more special.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
yup i love that there are more and more diversity of characters this gen.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same here, man. A shame Nintendo (the one I most actively follow) is lagging behind. But to see the others start to pick up the pace is reassuring for the future of the industry.
Yup, Nintendo needs to start branching out more. I mean, I'm glad we can change our skin color in Animal Crossing but it's honestly the bare minimum. I want to see more.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Yeah, gamepass is looking great. Shame it's not available here.

EDIT: My bad, I thought this was the gamepass thread

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yup, Nintendo needs to start branching out more. I mean, I'm glad we can change our skin color in Animal Crossing but it's honestly the bare minimum. I want to see more.
Japan as a whole needs to step it up with regards to diversity in their games. But I highlight Nintendo since they're one of the Big 3 console makers, & the other two are already picking up the pace.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Love to see it.

Face of Gears atm: Kait Diaz

Senua

and possibly Joanna Dark in the future.

Three big IPs with women front and center.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Where is Tell Me Why? It is the first title to feature a trans-man as one of the protagonists.

Also, do you play as a set character in State of Decay?

Edit: While not PoC, a definite minority nonetheless

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. State of Decay 3 - Game reveal of the show. I loved every second of that trailer!

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is necessary and important.

The industry needs to majorly increase the speed it's moving when it comes to telling stories about a more diverse range of people and not relying on so much straight white male derivative garbage. Great to see quite a bit of it in the Xbox showcase.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Where is Tell Me Why? It is the first title to feature a trans-man as one of the protagonists.

Oh yeah, Tell Me Why's trans-male lead (Tyler) also deserves props.

191114180752-tell-me-why-transgender-video-game-tyler-1.jpg

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Probabyl just meant for the other thread about gamepasses value.
I'm just saying, what Gamepass gotta do with this thread, fam?
Yes but this is not the thread for that though.
I think you're in the wrong thread.

Whoops. Yeah, I swear I had that thread open. Early morning stream must've fried my brain.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
This struck me as well.

Not only were we seeing diversity in main characters, we were also seeing less shoot-shoot / bang-bang adrenalized gaming that seems to completely dominate these events.

Super refreshing all around.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Black women were really lacking as far as main characters go, but outside of The Gunk, I'm waiting to see if they're actually main characters.

Unless they changed the formula you don't, and you don't really create a character or have a MC either. Everyone can die so you just switch characters back and forth.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I noticed that too! Definetely a step in the right direction, the whole presentation had a decent amount of representation (specially Tell Me Why, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that there's finally a game with a trans protagonist).

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's been playing video games since the '80s I wholeheartedly agree. Having more diverse protagonists at least changes things up it's a good thing.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Super cool showing in this regard, more diversity in the characters you play as only brings positives, hopefully we also start seeing more of it on the teams behind these works.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could do more though.

Yeah if only they cared about its black employees , Remember what they did to the black employee at Mixer, he brought up the issues to higher ups but was ignored when he called out the racism