fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I assume this is normally a formality to ask the Queen where she should say yes since they don't want royalty with power? So if she says no... that would be hilarious.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
were-in-the-endgame-now.gif

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Go
Pretty sure forcing her to abdicate would require some kind of threat from parliament , and I don't think they will be cooperative if Boris tried.

Yeah, you would probably need a good majority to pull that move off, not that she's going to even think about doing anything.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when the EU was supposed to be the undemocratic negotiator in this negotiation?

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
People are looking at this the wrong way. Labour yesterday essentially took an early VONC off the table, this is Johnson and Cummings baiting them to vote down the Queens speech or amend it so they can have their People vs Politicians "tell them again" election. That's what they want, that may or may not happen after a no deal, but you need at least 25 days by law to hold an election so on the 14th of October as a starting point, that takes it well into November so I doubt they'd want to hold the election with no deal actually hitting.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Wait so I don't understand this. The ruling party literally says, "no we don't want you to argue with us about Brexit deal so we are just going to close shop until the deal is done." Am I getting this right?

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very slim i think.

IIRC suspending parliament for a queens speech isn't unusual for a new goverment. It just fucks everything brexit over this time.

Doing it tactically like this is new ....or very old. It's a constitutional crises. Not far removed from a coup. If you can have a coup run by the government. It's literally an attempt to sidestep the democratic process and remove the power of parliament.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
The women who took the U.K. to court last time allready said that she would seek a high court judgement if Boris tried to suspend parliament.
That doesn't mean anything to brexit tho.

Unless there is a VONC it will be the deal on the table or no deal. Parliament can vote for sunny weather and it wouldn't matter as only the PM can ask for a extension or revoke art. 50.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like how so many people are making a huge thing out of nothing - it was pretty obvious for a long time now that from the British side a no-deal was going to happen (too much difference between parties). The only hope was that the EU would meet them half-way and make a deal - but the EU is quite arrogant too.

This is just like all that 'doom hype' back when the vote to leave EU happened. Life will go on, there will be a few tough months whilst things get sorted out, but ultimately things will go back to how they were. London isn't going to lose it's Financial hub of the world status just because it's leaving the EU, and anyone who says so just plain doesn't understand how the world works tbh.

I left in 2015 and even back then there were a lot of people not happy with the EU (though I was in the Midlands, not London).

Edit: Not a British citizen, I could be wrong - can't believe I have to state it implicitly, but these are my personal views only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garfield

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I also think the speaker has also forced the Gov hand, he is very pro parliament so was always going to allow whatever measures he could to allow parliament to get involved

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how so many people are making a huge thing out of nothing - it was pretty obvious for a long time now that from the British side a no-deal was going to happen (too much difference between parties). The only hope was that the EU would meet them half-way and make a deal - but the EU is quite arrogant too.

This is just like all that 'doom hype' back when the vote to leave EU happened. Life will go on, there will be a few tough months whilst things get sorted out, but ultimately things will go back to how they were. London isn't going to lose it's Financial hub of the world status just because it's leaving the EU, and anyone who says so just plain doesn't understand how the world works tbh.

I left in 2015 and even back then there were a lot of people not happy with the EU (though I was in the Midlands, not London).

Ugh. I suggest that you have no understanding of what is happening.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty clueless on UK politics, but...

It seems like she could at least delay and force political suicide on anyone who pressed the issue.

(Not that I would expect her to actually do anything.)

I can see at most a delay but never her seeing no and the delay will be enough likely for the opposition to do something.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
btw this where all those royalist "the Queen is a harmless tourist trap" nonsense falls down. In the absence of any explicit personal mandate or properly codified constitution the head of state may implicitly have the power to intervene but they never will.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

EU provided a deal...

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This is just like all that 'doom hype' back when the vote to leave EU happened. Life will go on, there will be a few tough months whilst things get sorted out, but ultimately things will go back to how they were. London isn't going to lose it's Financial hub of the world status just because it's leaving the EU, and anyone who says so just plain doesn't understand how the world works.
Everything looks great if you overlook research funding and grants,medicinal import and export pricing , farming support....etc.Yep just doom talk all around, all I know is m'lords Boris and Trump have a plan for wee folk effected by this.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh. I suggest that you have no understanding of what is happening.
Could be, or maybe you're the one who is hell-bent on a certain scenario and are ignoring the realities of what's happening?

Clearly the current govt plans to push through their version of the 'no-deal', but there are 2 parts to it - either they legit plan no-deal, or they want to force the EU to come back to the table for tweaked deal. But I'm not a British citizen so I could also be in the wrong.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

We've found him.

We found the Leaver on ResetEra.

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
The only hope was that the EU would meet them half-way and make a deal - but the EU is quite arrogant too.
What does meeting half-way mean in this case? Selling out Ireland? Since the backstop is the main issue, and the backstop cannot be removed or significantly reworked (it has to be a solution that can be guaranteed to work, so any fancy technical solutions are obviously not going to be acceptable as a backstop), what exactly is the EU supposed to do?

OP
OP
Garfield

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
btw this where all those royalist "the Queen is a harmless tourist trap" nonsense falls down. In the absence of any explicit personal mandate or properly codified constitution the head of state may implicitly have the power to intervene but they never will.

Reminds me of the Trump election. Where he could of been stopped

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He has loaded his gun against the EU, he believed as you will know that the EU think parliament won't allow a no deal, so he is taking the U.K. on a 'let's play chicken' who dares blink first

Boris is the guy who made up all the lies about the EU in the first place.

I don't believe for a second he is delusional about the EU.

He may sign a deal to rescue England from the vengeful kraut led eu, or bravely embrace no deal to deliver sovereignty for blighty, I'm not sure which he will choose but either won't come from a place of factual denial (on his part, internally)

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Actually sorry to disappoint I only studied there, so my time in England was 5 years over the course of my phd. But I edited my comment and made it clear that I could be wrong in which case I apologize beforehand.

No worries I'm sure the people in the middle of this are very reassured of your opinion it'll be fine but also you don't actually know and might be wrong

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could be, or maybe you're the one who is hell-bent on a certain scenario and are ignoring the realities of what's happening?

Clearly the current govt plans to push through their version of the 'no-deal', but there are 2 parts to it - either they legit plan no-deal, or they want to force the EU to come back to the table for tweaked deal. But I'm not a British citizen so I could also be in the wrong.

The reality is that they are trying to do that by shutting down the democratic process ie they are operating contrary to the will of parliament ie they are operating contrary to the democratic process. It's outrageous.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

The EU are basically prepared for No Deal already and as such they are prepared for it and will be fine.

The UK however arent ready at all and still have major issues to sort out such as the Iris backstop (which technically cant be solved without causing major issues either way).

The governments own report from this month listed all the ways in which a no deal brexit would cause huge amounts of problems for the country and this will result in 99% of people being poorer, less and more expensive food, reductions in medicine that will likely result in deaths, the army being deployed because of expected turmoil etc.

So essentially the EU has no reason to give in and gives us what we want, what we do want isnt possible and the results of No deal are going to be massively negative.

On top of this the best thing we potentially have to look forward to after all this is to get bent over a barrel for the US and other countries that will take us for everything they can get.

So maybe instead of just laughing off any worries that most of us have you should instead actually do some research and respect what a terrible situation this is.

OP
OP
Garfield

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Didn't Bercow specifically warn him not to do this?

Bercow has said lots of times he will not take kindly to any Gov trying to stop parliament having a say, it is all a game of chess, the opposition MP's will now have to go away to see if there is anything they can do to counter this move

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't wonder me if they call a election on october 14/15/16 and ensure boris can't be kicked out before brexit.

Election date should be after brexit then.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019

Edit: Not a British citizen, I could be wrong - can't believe I have to state it implicitly, but these are my personal views only.
The EU is arrogant?Man, gtfo with that shit.

OP
OP
Garfield

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Dominic Grieve has said he expects a vote of no confidence to be bought very quickly

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The 14th of October is a weird date. That would put any election post the 31st of October (even if you ignore all the parliamentary stuff which would have to happen to call an election it takes a minimum of 25 working days by law from the dissolution of parliament to the polling day), which makes me doubt they'd go for a no deal on the 31st if their Queen's speech is voted down (and it would be). You'd be looking at an election in the week of the 18th of November post a no-deal, almost certainly the 21st of November. It'd be chaos, it'd literally be the worst time Johnson could call an election in a no deal scenario, it's long enough for any disruption to overtake stockpiling. If you're going for a no deal election you'd want it immediately (within one or two days of no deal) where your mitigation have their maximum effect.

This is to set up a people vs the politicians "tell them again" election.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Dominic Grieve has said he expects a vote of no confidence to be bought very quickly

I think that would be a mistake. It's a game of chicken where they've told you they'll blink by the date they've chosen. Johnson isn't going to have a no deal election 3 weeks after no deal which is what having a Queens speech on the 14th of October sets up.

Oct 26, 2017
There will be plenty of tories that are against this... despite popular opinion they aren't all actual evil.

Aye hopefully some will step up, although they're not known for being vertebrates. I know they're not all evil, but most are callous, selfish and bad for the environment.
I don't think I'll ever forget auld Queenie sitting there giving an austerity speech, telling us we need to "live within out means" whilst wearing a hat full of fucking jewels.
Bring out the guillotines.