• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
win4_06.jpg
win4_02.jpg

win4_07.jpg

• The new model has an AMD Ryzen 7 6800U processor with RDNA 2 graphics, which should bring a significant boost in CPU and GPU performance over the Intel Tiger Lake processor with Iris Xe graphics featured in the Win 3.
  • Analog sticks now have hall sensors. They're also now adjustable: users can switch out parts for high-profile or low-profile joysticks.
  • The device is said to have a more ergonomic design with a rounder body and the right analog stick below the action buttons instead of above them.
  • The keyboard will have physical keys rather than the capacitive touch keys on the Win 3. This should make typing much more comfortable.

no date or price yet
liliputing.com

GPD Win 4 handheld gaming PC will feature Ryzen 7 6800U and a 6 inch display that slides up - Liliputing

GPD Win 4 handheld gaming PC will feature Ryzen 7 6800U and a 6 inch display that slides up

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
VITA MEANS LIFE VITA MEANS LIFE VITA MEANS LIFE

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
finally, what I have been waiting my whole life for.

THE PSP2.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Looks nice in the promo shots. Less so in the photo.

How do the specs compare to, say, a Steam Deck?

Going by the pattern of these sorts of devices: like 1.5 to 2x the price, modestly better performance in high wattage scenarios, no real gains at lower or optimal wattages, potentially less optimizations for that power range as well. Probably higher capacity battery to compensate. More storage perhaps. No Steam OS out of the box and all those features (though can be added back with holoiso). Probably worse customer support and RMA processes (going by Ayn, and what I've heard of GPD). Potentially worse ergonomics (though this varies by device and this looks like a significant improvement over something like the Aya Neo Pro 2 or whatever it is). Potentially a higher resolution display, which has it's own set of tradeoffs.

If you can get a steam deck these imo aren't that appealing unless you want to get some (modest) gains in high end emulation tbh, or want a slight boost to framerate, or want a smallerish form factor. Even in the high end emulation space it won't be a slam dunk, and will depend heavily on the game, though some titles that would be unplayable on van gogh might be playable on the 6800u. I'd guess mostly Switch titles.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Better than the Steam Deck
To early to say for sure. The CPU might be better, but it depends on how its clocked in the final hardware. The GPU will be more interesting, but all we know from the article is the architecture, RDNA2, which is the same as the Deck. If the screen is 1080p, it might actually be weaker overall, if you want to run stuff on native res.

I wonder if GPD will try to get SteamOS on this thing.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, that looks really nice. I doubt it will be stronger than the Deck, though.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Handheld PC makers pls...make something ergonomic rather then just stealing the switch and psp designs lol.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Damn, that looks really nice. I doubt it will be stronger than the Deck, though.

It's a 6800u so unless they've put crazy tdp limits on it it will probably be more performant at higher TDP than the deck. At lower TDP it will probably be negligible. And even then the performance increase will likely be like, the difference between 45 fps and 60fps in most use cases, not anything crazy or life changing. Depending on the resolution native res gaming might also be worse.

Handheld PC makers pls...make something ergonomic rather then just stealing the switch and psp designs lol.

No. Now please engage the claw maneuver and stretch your thumbs directly down several centimeters to use the dpad.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
After using a Steam deck I'm convinced symmetrical sticks are the way to go with these things

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If it has a 1080p screen this is automatically dumb. The best part about the Steam Deck is the fact that it has a 720p screen, which means you can actually run games at native resolution without awful upscaling artifacts.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
After using a Steam deck I'm convinced symmetrical sticks are the way to go with these things

Steam deck symmetrical sticks work so well because the layout is fantastic with the buttons on the outside rather then above/below though, which is nor possible when they keep copying switch and psp formats.

Really hoping we see big changes next year with the newer revisions for these devices, Aya and GPD are years behind Valve on ergonomics right now.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
What is it going to take to get them to wake up and copy the Steam Deck?

I'm really hoping the unprecedented sales for the format will wake them the fuck up soon lol.

I woud LOVE to check out a more powerful Aya or GPD model in the next year or two, but until they can match the decks comfort and control options (dual track pads are a must going forward) it's a deal breaker.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
not having the sticks both up top like the win 3 sucks, that works best in these cramped configurations. looks good overall though. might be in if its smaller and if i can sell my win 3. hoping for a gyro too.

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
I'm really hoping the unprecedented sales for the format will wake them the fuck up soon lol.

I woud LOVE to check out a more powerful Aya or GPD model in the next year or two, but until they can match the decks comfort and control options (dual track pads are a must going forward) it's a deal breaker.

The Aya Neo Next II might be what you're looking for. I am pretty excited for it.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
To early to say for sure. The CPU might be better, but it depends on how its clocked in the final hardware. The GPU will be more interesting, but all we know from the article is the architecture, RDNA2, which is the same as the Deck. If the screen is 1080p, it might actually be weaker overall, if you want to run stuff on native res.

I wonder if GPD will try to get SteamOS on this thing.
It has double the cpu cores and 1.5x the gpu cores on a smaller process node, so the specs are clearly better.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It has double the cpu cores and 1.5x the gpu cores on a smaller process node, so the specs are clearly better.
Can you link to the official specs? Really interested in this.
I think when it comes to a battery powered device with a strong focus on efficiency, it's a bit more complicated than just having more cores and getting better performance. After all, battery live is a major thing to consider. It would be very interesting if it does manage to get both better perf and similar or better battery live than the Deck.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017
The Aya Neo Next II might be what you're looking for. I am pretty excited for it.

It's a start, but those trackpads are just...in an unusable spot lol, it's already like a squished xbox layout in the mock ups, then the pads are slapped even farther down lol.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
SteamOS or bust with it, because ain't no way I'd run Windows on a portable (or, well, at all, really).

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

My going theory is the Steam Deck APU is so good because of less cores and lower clock speeds compared to the 6800u.
I wonder what the max TPD that the GPD Win 4 will reach is. The Steam Deck bounds it at 15 Watts. This APU seems to support up to 28W, which should give you more raw power, but will butcher the battery. That's actually the other interesting spec that we don't now yet (?), how big the battery will be. I could see it being smaller than the 40Wh that the Deck has, as it's a smaller device than the Deck.

That's actually another thing I love about the Deck, the fine-grained control over TPD and clocks it gives you via SteamOS. If GPD is smart, they'll work with Valve to make it easy to run SteamOS on this thing too.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I can't wait for all these handheld gaming PCs to run Steam OS. We need to reach some critical mass so major OEMs like Samsung, Sony, Asus, Alienware, etc enter the space.

Sirhc

Oct 27, 2017

It's really about the whole package though, the 6800U is definitely better at higher TDP, although lower TDP the deck is a monster.

The real wildcard with these is that most of these aya and gpd handhelds run 1080p screens, which is going to tank performance unless you run subnative which will kill image quality.

If these run a 800p or 720p screen and the thermals and power draw are good it should be a nice boost in performance.