• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzutcTsKI1E

Because I know how you all love Zack lol

khurdqegzgrfzcp0dgis.gif

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I re-watched Sucker Punch just the other month I'm doing my part in keeping this rich legacy alive

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
300 and Watchmen is a fucking treasure.

I wish this dude could go back to his aesthetic there.

Feb 16, 2022
Yeah he's definitely not suited as a DoP. I was curious back in Army of the Dead, and while it wasn't good, I thought maybe he could still improve. Clearly it's just not his strength.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
The Man of Steel part where he talked about Tornado scene has some pretty good reasoning, but I don't think he understood how much he botched the execution.

Last edited:

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I'll never get the hate for this guy, he has made some good movies and seem pretty passionate about the medium. Also watching this video, the logic behind his choices makes sense. He needs a good script to make a good movie since his own scripts are very bad but he isn't a bad director and people always seem to forget that he had to give up on Justice League because his daughter fuckin died .

Derbel McDillet

ā–² Legend ā–²
Nov 23, 2022
I'll never get the hate for this guy, he has made some good movies and seem pretty passionate about the medium. Also watching this video, the logic behind his choices makes sense. He needs a good script to make a good movie since his own scripts are very bad but he isn't a bad director and people always seem to forget that he had to give up on Justice League because his daughter fuckin died .
Yeah, I'm not a fan, but the dogpiling almost every other day here just feels so excessive. Normally, I'd just chalk it up to people being their feelings about their IP being "ruined", but he's not really working with any. But it's like can we save this energy for someone that actually causes harm and still works in the industry.

Hell, there are aspects of his filmmaking that people could stand to criticize more, to this day I can't believe Sucker Punch was greenlight, but it's clearly not about those aspects and just this petty shit.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I like 300 more than Troy tbh.

Also Watchmen aged like fine wine. Which can't be said about most CBMs these days.

Oct 25, 2017

He also seems a really nice guy. It's telling that an actor like Michael Shannon speaks so highly of him.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
For a second I (legitimately) thought the video will only be about Rebel Moon 1 and 2, since he seems to be riding so high on his new franchise as of late.

But looking at his filmography, I'm a big fan of quite a few of his films: 300, Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead remake, Man of Steel.

His obsession with sexual violence/abuse is just so strange and off-putting.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Watchmen is pretty great, not a fan of some bits but I loved it, hell, I like Snyder's ending more than the book's original ending. Plus, by all accounts, Snyder is just a fantastic dude. I think his problem is that he's not a great writer, Dawn of the Dead is a great movie but he didn't write it, and on 300/Watchmen he stuck pretty darn close to the original scripts, but he sure has a hell of a visual flair

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
As I said in another thread he works best if he is not writing himself and isn't doing his own cinematography.

Then his movies look good and are fun enough. Army of the Dead and Rebel Moons are just meh to straight up bad.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked 300, Watchmen and Dawn of the Dead especially. Like most creatives, once you give them too much power and influence they go to far and stop collaborating properly but I cant fault the guy, hes doing what hes passionate about and given amazing chances to make dream projects so while I definitely dont align with his ā€¦ vision of things, I am glad we can still have things made due to a very strong creative voice (I just wish it was a better one lol)

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed some of his films.

300 was & still entertaining & visually beautiful in some parts, in my opinion + great scenes too.

Amazingly, his Justice League also entertaining for me to watch, even with that length.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Watchmen is pretty great, not a fan of some bits but I loved it, hell, I like Snyder's ending more than the book's original ending. Plus, by all accounts, Snyder is just a fantastic dude. I think his problem is that he's not a great writer, Dawn of the Dead is a great movie but he didn't write it, and on 300/Watchmen he stuck pretty darn close to the original scripts, but he sure has a hell of a visual flair
He didn't write Watchmen either. It's not directed to you specifically, but it's telling that when a movie is good, it's despite of him. And when a movie is bad, it's on him even if he didn't write the screenplay and decide on the runtime etc. It's hard to get full creative freedom when working on blockbusters, unless your name happens to be James Cameron or Chris Nolan.

What is on him is that when you have trouble converting the screenplay onto film in a time frame that is suitable for a theatrical release, it's probably wise to be more economical on the slow mo among other things. For Rebel Moon, he probably thought: "Fuck it, it's on Netflix. Let's have all the slow mo."

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
He didn't write Watchmen either. It's not directed to you specifically, but it's telling that when a movie is good, it's despite of him. And when a movie is bad, it's on him even if he didn't write the screenplay and decide on the runtime etc. It's hard to get full creative freedom when working on blockbusters, unless your name happens to be James Cameron or Chris Nolan.

What is on him is that when you have trouble converting the screenplay into film in a time frame that is suitable for a theatrical release, it's probably wise to be more economical on the slow mo among other things. For Rebel Moon, he probably thought: "Fuck it, it's on Netflix. Let's have all the slow mo."

Oh, yeah, I agree that his writing is a huge huge problem, I think he has a good eye, and that's the one thing I'm giving him credit for. And I agree 100%, he could really use an editor telling him no/tone it down on certain things, like slo-mo.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Iconic is correct in a way, in that his films tend to be constructed entirely out of iconography stitched together.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
He doesn't even "have a good eye". He worked with people who had good eyes. It's no coincidence that as he takes over other roles those facets of the films get markedly worse.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
He is a pretty great director but he falls into the hole where he does too many things he isn't good at so the thing he is amazing at suffers as a result. He is an amazing director I feel, and just needs to focus on that. Especially let someone else do the DP. Writing, at least have some sort of legitimate writing collaborator that can refine his stories/ideas.

you can kind of see his filmography getting worse as time went on as he took on more and more jobs himself on his films. Lol

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Dude's just following that Rob Liefeld trajectory.
  1. Oh man, this is pretty cool!
  2. Wait, is this all you can do?
  3. Come to think of it, there are a lot of problems with this.
  4. Do you honestly have no intention of improving?
  5. Wait, why are you taking on more roles?
  6. This is just something else. You're just transparently stealing other things.