• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Fantastic game. I'm really glad we wrapped up Kat's story. I can always dream of a Gravity Rush 3, but I'm honestly still shocked we got a sequel to begin with.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot about the server thing... How important is the online functionality? Like, will I miss out on a big part of the game if I play it later?

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
How long does it take to earn that many tokens? I haven't started the game yet.
I wouldn't know exactly... I didn't care about tokens, trophies, or challenges until I finished the game. So I don't know if it's because I finished it or it's like this normally, but for me there was a lot of stuff to do to get them. Sending challenges to random people on the internet and receiving (and actually doing them) gives you tokens (obviusly more tokens if you win the challenge). People rating photos you upload also give you tokens (tip: Upload them next to your home. or on your home)

Maybe other people can give you an estimate, but for me it felt like a few days (playing like <30 minutes a day on stuff related to tokens)

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
How long does it take to earn that many tokens? I haven't started the game yet.
I've been playing for three days and i have 1770 tokens so far:

- Rating pictures from other people gives you 30 tokens.
- Sending treasure related pictures gives you 80 tokens.
- Winning a challenge you send gives you 180? tokens.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
I have upwards of 800 shots saved from the photo mode, plus a ton of share button screens - the most by far I've ever been compelled to take in any game before. Get this gorgeous game while it's $20, it's more than worth it.

Oct 26, 2017
How hard are these Dusty tokens to get? The original was one of the only things I enjoyed on Vita but never got around to picking up the sequel. Servers going down and locking out content is the only thing keeping me from jumping in on the current sale

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Literally just finished the main campaign (80 hour playthrough including all side missions, challenges and enough dusty tokens to earn anything which will be lost on the servers).

The game will mostly be fine once the online functionality is gone, though I've found doing the treasure hunts useful for collecting all the furniture, gems and tokens ( not to mention that I just find them fun to do).

You need 6000 dusty tokens to get everything, which I'm estimating took me around 15 hours or so here or there; competing in the challenges will be a lot quicker way of doing it though, and the activity has certainly grown over the last few days (I've gone from receiving about three hunts a day to around 12 recently).

Last edited:

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Oh hey surprise GR OT!

Gotta say I ended up a bit disappointed in this. I think the low parts, including the
Jupiter power chapter and the second half of the game (going back to Herkseville)
, are low. I understand and appreciate the fact that they probably knew this was going to be the final GR game, so they wanted to finish every storyline but it was just too much.

That and they didn't really improve a whole lot on the sidequest front, although they were cool because you got to see Kat being "Kat", a nice and down to earth girl whose willing to help out almost anyone.

Still, the flying is so good and the first half of the game is beautiful and new. I liked it and it's currently fitting into my GOTY list. I think it's got some of the best traversal stuff around and that alone is worth the price of admission. I'm glad I took a chance on the Vita all those years ago just to get a chance to play this.

Oh, and does anyone have a link to that artwork down at the bottom? It;s good stuff.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Fantastic game. I'm really glad we wrapped up Kat's story. I can always dream of a Gravity Rush 3, but I'm honestly still shocked we got a sequel to begin with.

Pretty much this.

One of my favorite games ever and I'd be lying if a didn't get a little giddy when I saw the OT pop up. Excellent work OP.

Game is $20 on PSN. Go buy that shit.

Gravity Rush Remastered is far better and is fun.

Gravity Rush 2 is a borefest.

Fake news

Oct 29, 2017
I just walked past this in a store today, made me sad thinking they were going to shut off the servers again. I really think this and the first game were truly special, just charming and fun games. I still have the soundtrack with me all the time. Such amazing work, one of the best soundtracks of the year

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely adored this game. The new Gravity Styles, and the absolutely ridiculous scale and spectacle of the game had me totally marking out all the way through. It's the only game that's ever reminded me of the insanity of The Wonderful 101. I wish the devs would have cooled it on the stealth missions, and what annoys me even more is the ones where they take away your gravity powers, but it never got bad enough to spoil the game.

Good to hear you can still get the Platinum once the servers go down. I'm going to get some time in to unlock some costumes anyway, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to rush through anything under a time limit.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017

I'd like there to be a third instalment, though by the end of 2 it really did feel like they'd compressed another three game's worth of story in there to wrap everything up. It was almost as if the team knew this was the last one they'd be allowed to make.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Oh hey surprise GR OT!

Gotta say I ended up a bit disappointed in this. I think the low parts, including the
Jupiter power chapter and the second half of the game (going back to Herkseville)
, are low. I understand and appreciate the fact that they probably knew this was going to be the final GR game, so they wanted to finish every storyline but it was just too much.

That and they didn't really improve a whole lot on the sidequest front, although they were cool because you got to see Kat being "Kat", a nice and down to earth girl whose willing to help out almost anyone.

Still, the flying is so good and the first half of the game is beautiful and new. I liked it and it's currently fitting into my GOTY list. I think it's got some of the best traversal stuff around and that alone is worth the price of admission. I'm glad I took a chance on the Vita all those years ago just to get a chance to play this.

Oh, and does anyone have a link to that artwork down at the bottom? It;s good stuff.

Oh shit, that reminds me: I found a game breaking bug at that point that I should mention in case anyone gets stuck:

one of the walls simply refused to break no matter how much I tried to use the Jupiter power kick on it, it's the last one in the section where the walls are closing in on you. I played the level twice to get around it and was close to giving up the game completely, until I realised that the problem was that I had the unlimited potential talisman equipped. I tried removing it and hey presto! The wall smashed as planned on the first try

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Kat and Raven were really adorable, but boy was I glad when I was done with the game. Controls were infuriating and the side quests among the worst I've done. The fact that they farmed out the quests really showed. Very disappointed.

Preferred the first one (remastered) by far, which was a tight and novel experience. There were highlights and sparkles, but this one's just too bloated and not very fun at all. Still completed it, as Kat was just amazing but really wished I waited for a lower price before I bought it.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Kat and Raven were really adorable,
I really liked that they seemed to be best buds in the sequel. They go together pretty well and their friendship was portrayed allllllright.
Oh shit, that reminds me: I found a game breaking bug at that point that I should mention in case anyone gets stuck:

one of the walls simply refused to break no matter how much I tried to use the Jupiter power kick on it, it's the last one in the section where the walls are closing in on you. I played the level twice to get around it and was close to giving up the game completely, until I realised that the problem was that I had the unlimited potential talisman equipped. I tried removing it and hey presto! The wall smashed as planned on the first try
Huh, that is an interesting bug. Good to share in case anyone stops by in the future.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Great work on the OT!

Gravity Rush 2 is definitely a flawed gem but overall a fantastic experience if you can get through some of the issues.

Here is my thoughts on some of the issues. The main one is pacing. The game starts off very slow. You regain your powers and have some mining stuff to do. I understand that this is a tutorial of sorts but coming over from the highs of Gravity Rush into the slow start of 2 is definitely a bit of a killjoy. The introduction segment to the new city is also somewhat slow. To be honest this is sort of necessary to build Kat's development with the townfolk from scratch. The stealth missions are a chore but you can actually get through it relatively quickly if you are careful and pick the correct routes. Veterans who has played the first game will find very little at the beginning that will impress other than the visuals and having a new place to explore. The core gameplay remains the same and Kat is just being herself, which is to say she gets picked on and everyone has her doing odd jobs or challenges her to races.

The game picks up a bit as you begin to get your additional gravity styles. This is where I felt the game became a bit more fun and different. The constant underlying evil or corruption in the town is another interesting point that keeps you wanting a little more but overall I would say it doesn't have the same WOW factor of Gravity Rush 1. Collecting Pink Crystals felt a little bit like a chore in the city. Taking photos and treasure hunts was certainly fun though and some of the missions was a good challenge.

Then the story takes you out of the city for a bit and you
return to Herskeville. I was a little amazed that the entirety of Heskeville was in GR2 and it was a joy to run through the places again. It was a joy to meet up with old NPC friends and find out how they have been doing.

The story's pace I think hits a pretty good rhythm here and isn't too bad. It keeps you wanting more but is also not too obvious on what is happening entirely. Those who hasn't played GR1 might be a little confused on characters and plot but otherwise I think the build up is pretty great here as characters converge and meet up, some plot points come to an end.

There is a sort of two endings thing going on. The first wraps up the story and plot of GR2 while the second sort of wraps up the series as a whole. The first one is actually quite tragic and the second one begins with a somewhat slow section of Kat's past. Then we come to the finale with multiple show downs and what I consider one of the best closing to a game series I've played in a long time. This is it, this is what the build up of games have been leading to and it was glorious. The ending was incredible and it is a little sad to see fans of the first game fail to reach the ending due to the issues in the earlier parts of the game.

I think the game would have benefit from having a different approach to combat. Particularly some basic attacks and shift powers early on to keep those of us who has spent considerable time in regular gravity mode in the first game fighting in the same way already.

Last edited:

Voxels

Oct 27, 2017
On close inspection the game appears to be the typical convoluted Japanese title but the game's first act follows closely to the hindu religion. Do not watch if you haven't played or completed the game but the following video sheds light on the oddities of the imagery and thus makes the game much more enjoyable.

https://youtu.be/ssNK_fakf9o

I am overly critical of the gamev and that's cause i love it. Almost like a child that has potential but keeps fucking up. It's my other GOTY.

Milijango

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, we've got an OT for GOTY. Ok... more like #3 but this game is damn good.

I've said a lot about this game over the course of the year. I stand by its quality... though that free DLC ended up being really bad.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are the graphics? They look exactly like the remaster of the first one, which looked good.
Still, I expected more from a game built for the PS4 from the beginning.

Oct 25, 2017
How are the graphics? They look exactly like the remaster of the first one, which looked good.
Considering it is an open world game, I was satisfied with it. The textures can get very muddy at times as you're flying towards bigger constructs, but it still looks quite good thanks to art. The huge amount of color alone makes it great compared to the first one.

Last edited:

Voxels

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best looking games on the console. Parlax occlusion mapping for bricks and stuff, stylized A.O., high quality shading for the cell shading, volumetric fog, god rays. It's a real sight to behold. But the star of the show is the animations.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The sequel looks considerably better, I think it's pretty gorgeous, along with much bigger environments at the same time.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the best looking games on the console. Parlax occlusion mapping for bricks and stuff, stylized A.O., high quality shading for the cell shading, volumetric fog, god rays. It's a real sight to behold. But the star of the show is the animations.

After this last Guilty Gear game my expectations of cartoon-like games has been seriously elevated. I hope it's even a bit close to that.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread, I adored the first game and the negativity surrounding the sequel had me putting off a purchase. I'll pick it up first thing, now.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Massively flawed game, but disappointing Gravity Rush is still better than 99% of other games out there.

Shame that the first Gravity Rush (both Vita and Remastered versions) remains the better game though.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gravity Rzush 2 is one of my fav's this year. Incredibly jolly and just all around good times. There is one main mission that is literally atrocious, but aside from that I have few complains. The world is a big step up from the original, the combat is WAY improved and I didn't mind 99% of the mission types. The connectivity is an issue now, but a very fun and social addition, that prolonged the game post-story in a significant and memorable way.

I know a lot of people have issues with the game, but especially if you liked the first one, you should owe it to yourself to try this.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted this game to be so much more. I liked it a lot, to be sure, but they had no right having such mundane and boring mission design when the game has so much going for it.

It's got basically everything else that you expect from an outstanding game: Kat is a great, feel-good protagonist, the environmental and character design give the game a distinct visual identity, the music is lovely and the story is decent, the graphics are pretty good, and they've got one of the most interesting traversal systems in a game. One that I feel has immense potential.

So I was throurougly disappointed to discover that the missions were so basic and unimaginative in their design. I mean, I'm not even thinking of specific examples, but when you can control gravity, I feel like the game could've been so much more interesting and exciting.

It would've been interesting to see this designed by some of the people at Platinum.

shrug

Airan

Nov 6, 2017
I gotta agree with the negative sentiments - I absolutely adored the original on the Vita, but this one overstayed its welcome. I think the online challenges are partly to blame - they're fun the first few times but then it eventually became a grind just to get the tokens before the servers shut down. I was pretty hyped for the
Hekseville return
but the story missions and side-quests just didn't feel interesting to do. Then there's always a moment after a quest clear where you have to wait before you can access your map, which I found utterly infuriating.

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
I've jut recently gone back to this to after getting distracted from it by all the games in 2017. I love it just as much as the first one its great ^_^.

Are we also going to lose access to the furniture you unlock from the treasure hunts? And what about the mining events (I've still not got into them yet) do we lose access to any special tokens or anything? I just want to know what to prioritize over the short time we have left ;_;

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Does it take long to get all the costumes from the treasure hunts? I'm not interested in getting all these tokens everyone is talking about and I don't want it to feel like a grind to get everything done before they shut servers down.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
To elaborate on why I hated episode 12:
This level forces you to navigate very confined spaces for a pretty long stretch, I had such a janky experience it gave me headache. It's like they wanted to showcase how bad the camera can get in this game. To make it worse, while you're in there you need to complete a serious of challenges, like getting through a segment without getting hit, all this while getting used to a new gravity style. there are tons of nooks and crannies to get stuck in and I clipped through geometry several times. It's the antithesis of how you should design an environment for this franchise.

Anyway, the game is gorgeous and traversing this beautiful world is one of my favorite things in gaming.
Kat is just so awesome, it can't be said enough, easily one of the most likeable characters ever.
I'm still not done with the game but I hope the story gets a satisfying conclusion.
I'm so glad we got this sequel, I'm a big fan of the first game.
Anyone thinking about playing the first, please play the PS4 version, it's one of the best remasters out there, a night and day difference compared to the original.