• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
https://twitter.com/GravRushCentral/status/1019810261463719936

There was a thread about it shutting down today that's been getting bumped for a good while now, but I figured it was worth posting a new thread now that the servers have finally been brought offline.

It's infuriating Sony shut it down so soon. Really makes me less inclined to pay for PS+, especially since I've been migrating back to PC gaming as of late.

EDIT: Should stress the game can still be played, and all trophies unlocked. Online challenges and Dusty Tokens are no longer available.

Oct 27, 2017
A good reminder that it's a fantastic and unique game that needs to be bought more. Online was never necessary to enjoy the Kat attitude and live the dream :3

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
If Uncharted 4 sold this poorly, would they have nixed that game's multiplayer, too? Or Bloodborne? Let's say those games sold poorly in a world where Uncharted isn't well-regarded and From Software is a studio nobody's familiar with. Do they nix the servers now?

This sets an ugly precedent. Niche titles from Sony apparently don't get to stick around for long. Gravity Rush 2 had barely a year before it lost such a great component of its gameplay.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
PS+ wasn't required to use it, but that doesn't make how little Sony cared about the game less lamentable.

Becks'

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Do you need online to play the game? I played the first one and I've been planning to play second one.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you need online to play the game? I played the first one and I've been planning to play second one.

You don't, and you can 100% the game and everything without it. But it was fun as hell, and a really unique way to implement online in a game. Sony fucked up here IMO.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. There was some side content that involved hunting for hidden treasure chests using player taken photos, as well as competing against player made ghosts in races and combat challenges. These rewarded tokens for in-game cosmetics, and neither the asynchronous multiplayer or the rewards are available anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Already got all of the token rewards back in April but this news makes me sad.

I had a lot of fun doing treasure hunts (not gonna miss the ones on the settlement w/ samey buildings) and beating someone's challenge record. A portion of that PS+ cash should go towards keeping the servers up.

Is it safe to say that the franchise is dead? I remember the devs said that they're waiting on PS5 to do a third one.

I really hope fan servers are possible in the future (probably won't happen though)

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A year and a half after the game released. Still mind boggling how weird of a decision this was. And based on the rankings the game has around 500K Unique users. Not a crazy number, but doesn't seem like the game even bombed, so this is crazy to me.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If Uncharted 4 sold this poorly, would they have nixed that game's multiplayer, too? Or Bloodborne? Let's say those games sold poorly in a world where Uncharted isn't well-regarded and From Software is a studio nobody's familiar with. Do they nix the servers now?

This sets an ugly precedent. Niche titles from Sony apparently don't get to stick around for long. Gravity Rush 2 had barely a year before it lost such a great component of its gameplay.
ND would have quite a lot more than online servers to worry about if one of their titles sold as poorly as Gravity Rush 2.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I got all of the dusty rewards and most of the gestures, but I only got a couple of the decorations :/
I should've played more earlier.

You can still find the apples, right? It's just waaaaaaaay harder now without the challenges?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Never got around to coming back to it. It'll feel a little lonelier without the small extras.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Already got all of the token rewards back in April but this news makes me sad.

I had a lot of fun doing treasure hunts (not gonna miss the ones on the settlement w/ samey buildings) and beating someone's challenge record. A portion of that PS+ cash should go towards keeping the servers up.

Is it safe to say that the franchise is dead? I remember the devs said that they're waiting on PS5 to do a third one.

I really hope fan servers are possible in the future (probably won't happen though)

Gravity Rush 2 was said to be the last in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I just got back home after being away and had hoped to do a few more treasure hunts before it went offline.

I already got the dusty token rewards, but treasure hunts were one of my favourite additions to 2.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I bought both Gravity Rush games a month or so ago during the sale they had; I'm some two-thirds of the way done with 2. I was fortunate enough to get all the Dusty Token items, and all the treasure hunt items as well, but not being able to see photos or leaderboards or the other little online things will be sad. What's weird is that the Gravity Rush Remastered leaderboards were still functioning; I guess turning off the online is an all or nothing deal, so they can't keep 2's boards up. It's a shame I didn't know about the series till this last summer; I wish I had, so I could've supported it earlier. I think the games have a great amount of charm and personality, and shifting gravity to fly around the world is really fun. I hope if the developers ever feel like making Gravity Rush 3, it isn't something that's impossible because of the sales, and if that time comes, this kind of thing doesn't happen. I guess I'll go tweet at Sony to let them know I'm a fan or something.

Also, props to the PSN community for getting Dusty Tokens; that really helped out people like me.

Nov 12, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 is one of my favorite games of last year. I made sure to get all my Dusty Tokens before it shut down... but I do wish the devs would or could at least give those unlockables to everyone who can't access them now.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game has been very polarizing for me. I got it a couple weeks ago when I heard about the servers shutting down, and rushed my way through to chapter 20, getting all the rewards on the way. I love the game and sort of dislike it. Rushing it is definitely not a good idea (and no need to do this now). I just realized I've been saying "rush" without thinking of the name of the game.

Anyway, it's a beautiful game with wonderful characters and music, and the gravity shifting is fun, but the combat is so dull and the objectives can be really repetitive and boring. The world itself is lovely, but there isn't that much to do. The online component added a little more, and it was very welcome, but between doing those and trying to get through a lot of the story it soured me on the game a little. At least now I can take my time and enjoy it (and play the first game as well).

When all is said and done, I will miss the online features a lot, as it's often better than the main game - even though I got a bit tired of grinding tokens and treasures.

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
It would be really cool if games had a way of setting the server and open source the server code once it's no longer being used. You don't even need a listserv for the names of available servers unless you're really nice. People could find the IP for the server online.
You could have a big warning that Sony isn't responsible for anything that goes on in unofficial servers. Then the community could run their own servers.

Now there would probably be tons of security issues which is why it'll never happen but it'd be pretty cool to have these games live on like old PC games do.

Oct 27, 2017
It's really tragic how poorly manged this series arrival on the PS4 was:
  • Gravity Rush Remastered releasing physically to a very low number of copies.
  • Gravity Rush 2 barely having any marketing behind it.
  • The mission structures in 2 being really unappealing in terms of what works with the gameplay.
  • And now this.
Gravity Rush is probably the most magical new IP Sony has come up with in over a decade and it's a shame that they never get it the proper attention. Here's to hoping it gets a third entry on PS5 and they actually handle it well this time.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
J7VgCUO.gif

Oct 27, 2017
This game has been very polarizing for me. I got it a couple weeks ago when I heard about the servers shutting down, and rushed my way through to chapter 20, getting all the rewards on the way. I love the game and sort of dislike it. Rushing it is definitely not a good idea (and no need to do this now). I just realized I've been saying "rush" without thinking of the name of the game.

Anyway, it's a beautiful game with wonderful characters and music, and the gravity shifting is fun, but the combat is so dull and the objectives can be really repetitive and boring. The world itself is lovely, but there isn't that much to do. The online component added a little more, and it was very welcome, but between doing those and trying to get through a lot of the story it soured me on the game a little. At least now I can take my time and enjoy it (and play the first game as well).

When all is said and done, I will miss the online features a lot, as it's often better than the main game - even though I got a bit tired of grinding tokens and treasures.

This was another annoyance I had with the game, while the new gravity styles and ways to explore, the combat feels virtually unchanged from it's predecessor, an area that could've even then used more depth.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crazy that in this day and age you need to shut down a service while we have technology to allow for scalable systems being run on demand.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Unfortunately, it's not a precedent, Sony has been doing it quite a lot. I don't think that this was even a Sony game with the least time between the release, and the servers being shut down either.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the 1st gravity rush but did not like part 2 at all. Played 10 hours and quit it then. Very unusual for me not to stick with a game.

Obviously Sony doesn't cease support for no reason and while I sympathize with those unhappy with this, you guys must be a very very insignificant number in the grand scheme of things

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I can't really put my disappointment into words. Gravity Rush was never given a real chance to succeed past the first entry.

The game is still very playable, but it's going to feel a lot more empty from now on, and the fact that content is now inaccessible completely blows.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the 1st gravity rush but did not like part 2 at all. Played 10 hours and quit it then. Very unusual for me not to stick with a game.

Obviously Sony doesn't cease support for no reason and while I sympathize with those unhappy with this, you guys must be a very very insignificant number in the grand scheme of things
These statements are at odds.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
The most fun and interesting asynchronous photo mode yet devised. Good night, sweet princesses o7

Even without online capabilities, still well worth playing - second best game of last year, actually!

Mike Double U

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Fantastic decision by Sony, Gravity Rush 2's servers and server maintenance was really cutting into the bottom line. It is in the players best interest to not waste PS+ dollars on games this.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Next Gravity Rush 3 should not lock content behind online features in case they gonna do he same and shut down servers. In fact Sony should not lock any trophy or ingame content behind online features for games they are going to shut down very soon like what they did before for many games. Why even offer online components for them to start with?

Last edited:

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's never a good reason. Xbox games (360 on) don't lose their online functionality, you'd think by now Sony would learn how to do it.

Thats cool. But I don't jump on Sony because they make economic decisions. Microsoft is pretty far off competition wise. Of course they are on the track to improve their services. When Sony struggled they started PS+ with insane games.
It is always a back and forth between those companies in terms of services.

Not played? You should have seen the community that gathered behind it to unlock the stuff and those who didn't want it to be shut down. Not that small to ignore.

So? Every time people jump on companies because they shut down servers and when they release numbers it is absolutely clear why they do that.
It is not a mystery that GR2 didn't sell too well. There are older games than GR2 that are still online. They wouldn't do it if the number was greater.

Still sucks to lose an online component to a game. But hey - we are talking about companies that have to make economic decisions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
So? Every time people jump on companies because they shut down servers and when they release numbers it is absolutely clear why they do that.
It is not a mystery that GR2 didn't sell too well. There are older games than GR2 that are still online. They wouldn't do it if the number was greater.

Still sucks to lose an online component to a game. But hey - we are talking about companies that have to make economic decisions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's perfectly reasonable for people to be mad when there's content locked away forever now and they offered no alternative.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I have the feeling of having seen more threads and posts about gravity rush 2 servers than gravity rush 2 - the game- itself.

I still haven't found the time to play the game that I bought more than a year ago, but even then I'm not really worried about missing some optional sidestuff.