• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which SJRPG series reigns supreme?

• Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle

Votes: 112 13.5%
  • Shining Force

Votes: 63 7.6%
  • Final Fantasy Tactics

Votes: 192 23.2%
  • Valkyria Chronicles

Votes: 40 4.8%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 348 42.1%
  • Disgaea

Votes: 50 6.0%
  • Front Mission

Votes: 22 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With all the new SJRPGs released in recent years, I thought it'd be fun to have one of these threads.

So, Era, which SJRPG series rules the battlefield of your heart? Which franchise deserves to be crowned as The One True King™ of this beloved genre?

Note: I did my best to include the best and/or most important series in the genre. As you know, polls can only have 7 options, so I realize that not everyone will be happy with the selection. If you feel strongly about a specific series, don't hesitate to drop a mention.

Series presented in chronological order:

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

Fire Emblem

PkPCFP8.png

Debut Year: 1990

A strategy RPG franchise developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo. It is known for its emphasis on character development and concept of permanent character death.

Notable Entries:
  • Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Shining Force

gSrgun4.png

Debut Year: 1992

Sega's long running series of tactical action RPGs which are centered around a young hero's quest to lead a band of adventurers, the titular 'Shining Force', against the forces of darkness

Notable Entries:
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force II
  • Shining Force III
  • Shining Force CD
  • Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon

Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre

1cGKYnV.png

Debut Year: 1993

A series of tactical role-playing and real-time strategy video games developed by Quest Corporation and currently owned by Square-Enix. The second game in the series, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, was a turn-based tactical role-playing game making use of isometric graphics, and is largely considered to be "exceptionally influential" to the genre.

Notable Entries:
  • Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
  • Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
  • Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
  • Legend of Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia
  • Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis

Front Mission

VWDkb6c.png

Debut Year: 1995

A collection of video games created by Toshiro Tsuchida and produced by Square-Enix. The series has seen numerous releases across multiple platforms over the years. It's best known for its serialized storytelling approach and the presentation of realistic mecha known as "wanzers".

Notable Entries:
  • Front Mission
  • Front Mission 2
  • Front Mission 3
  • Front Mission 4
  • Front Mission 5: Scars of the War

Final Fantasy Tactics

9wha346.png

Debut Year: 1997

Final Fantasy Tactics is a spiritual successor to the Tactics Ogre games in the Ogre Battle franchise. The first iteration maintains the same tone as its spiritual predecessors, however the later iterations have a much lighter tone.

Notable Entries:
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
  • Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
  • Crystal Defenders
  • Final Fantasy Tactics S

Disgaea

FCLpPLd.png

Debut Year: 2003

One of Nippon Ichi's most popular franchises, Disgaea is a series of tactical role-playing games that take place in a fictional universe called the Netherworld. The series is known for elements such as complex gameplay, extremely high maximum stats, and humorous dialogue.

Notable Entries:
  • Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
  • Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  • Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
  • Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness
  • Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance

Valkyria Chronicles

w42wE8f.png

Debut Year: 2008

A military tactical RPG franchise from Sega, the spiritual successor to their Sakura Wars series. The main line of games uses a turn based system known as the BLiTZ (Battle of Live Tactical Zones). The setting for these games take place in alternate universe versions of the Earth, during war times of the 20th century

Notable Entries:
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Valkyria Chronicles 2
  • Valkyria Chronicles 3
  • Valkyria Revolution
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Fire Emblem > FFT >TO >VC >Disgaea

Haven't played SF or FM so I won't comment on those.

EDIT: WHERE IS ADVANCE WARS?

EDIT2: Oh, SRPG only. Sorry for yellin' at you OP :D

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
In terms of consistent quality it has to be Fire Emblem. That could be changed if a solid FF Tactics gets released for Switch.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I really miss Shining Force. Are there any spiritual successor games that anyone made?

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure FE will win this going away, but it's at best third on this list. Tactics/Ogre Battle is definitely first.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre and FFT have always been my favorites. FE in particular is probably one of my all time favorite series due to leaning a bit more on the S rather than the RPG. The run from Thracia to Radiant Dawn was just killer.

But FE has definitely been much weaker in recent years.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Shining Force for it's grand story line with ties to the entire Shining universe and absolutely endearing/unique characters. Still to this day Shining Force 3 has what i feel are the best designed maps in the genre as well.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Definitely Fire Emblem for the longevity and consistency. To have so many entries across so many years and almost all of them being high quality puts it on a completely different tier as the rest.

For individual games though, Final Fantasy Tactics and Shining Force 2 can certainly go toe-to-toe with the best of Fire Emblem.

Valkyria Chronicles is not really an RPG.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem > FFT >TO >VC >Disgaea

Haven't played SF or FM so I won't comment on those.

EDIT: WHERE IS ADVANCE WARS?
Advance Wars really isn't an srpg. It's just a turn based strategy game.

Also I know the answer is probably Fire Emblem but I voted Front Mission because it's the instant truth

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I would love to see a new Front Mission game.

Seriously though WSRPGs have far surpassed their Japanese counterparts. Give me Xcom and Battletech over any JSRPG.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Fire Emblem followed very closely by Shining Force. Tactics Ogre is probably my fave SRPG ever but I don't consider that a series since Ogre Battle plays so differently.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Poll needs Devil Survivor.
Haven't played enough games in the poll to make an informed decision.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hard choice for me. One of my favourite sub genres around. Played a lot.

Shout out to Growlanser and Langrisser/Warsong (same team who would later make Devil Survivor!) Those were some great SRPGs too.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Of that list....Final Fantasy Tactics.

Those I'd throw in the Devil Survivor games, but I'm an SMT fanboy so take it as such lol

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Tactics Ogre definitely takes this. So sad how dead the series has been for so long despite being so amazing and beloved.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
After re-reading the poll. If we're talking about "series" I have to agree, Fire Emblem hands down. Much more consistent than the rest of the series in the list.

Still FFT is my fave SJRPG. (The original for PS1, not the PSP remaster).

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
For me, it's FF Tactics. I still can't believe S-E hasn't done more with that IP.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Fire Emblem it is. I've played all the localized FE games, VC games and Disgaea games, and even if I love the 3 franchises, FE is the one that offers better games and more gameplay progression between entries.

I didn't play any Front Mission or Shining force games TBH, and never finished FFT or Let us cling together (the latter one is great though, I need to replay it soon).

FE has tons of games, most of them are good, and they know how to keep the series fresh while keeping the defining elements.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
It's Growlanser for me. Basically the best map design, a battle system that never gets over-complicated but still feels strategic, a difficulty level that feels just right, and a story with a lot of ambition in it.

Out of the ones on the list, I voted for Fire Emblem. Most of its entries aren't really anything special and several are outright bad, but Conquest's best maps are actually better than Growlanser's. It's just a shame that it also has a lot of pretty sucky ones mixed in.

I can't decide if I'd put Devil Survivor above Fire Emblem. It only has two games so it's hard to really call it a series, but both of them are excellent. Which is to be expected given that they're made by the same team that made Growlanser.

Dept. Heaven is pretty good too if you can even count that as a series. Knights in the Nightmare is a super good genre mashup of a bullet hell shmup with a SRPG that deserves credit for merging two seemingly incompatible genres while also having a pretty unique approach to storytelling. Then Yggdra Union is a pretty interesting take on a traditional SRPG, and Gungnir is a perfectly acceptable Final Fantasy clone.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I admit I'm not familiar with the series, but it came up frequently enough while I was doing research that I ended up including it.
I think its trappings and tropes are very reminiscent of JRPGs, but in actual gameplay it's pretty much a straight forward strategy/tactics game. Plays closer to X-COM than anything else on the list.

I'm mostly just being pedantic though.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
If enough of us vote for Ogre Battle maybe it will encourage someone to actually use the IP.

But I doubt it.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tactics Ogre or FFT. Disgaea if I'm feeling weird.

FE is great as a game, and I'm loving 3H, but far behind as an SRPG.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
It might be Fire Emblem now, because 3H is too good.

However, if you are only comparing within generations then it has to be Shining Force. The battle scenarios and flow of combat are still fun to this day. It had ambitious JRPG elements where you could visit towns, find secrets and explore a wide world.

Final Fantasy Tactics has the greatest SRPG combat system though. You could approach battles in so many ways, it is unreal. The Tactics Advance games were weaker, but the OG game is a masterpiece.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
My avatar will show off my bias. As far as series go it has to be Fire Emblem, since half of those series are either dead, or haven't had a release in like a decade. I've always heard people speak highly of Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle, but never heard about them until the last several years. Honorable mention for me goes to FFT as a result.

OP
OP

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If enough of us vote for Ogre Battle maybe it will encourage someone to actually use the IP.

But I doubt it.
lol since my pick (Fire Emblem) is winning atm, I switched my vote to Ogre Battle to show support. Let Us Cling Together on PSP is so gooood. I still have the tarot cards (preorder bonus) and all.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked Fire Emblem, but only because Shining Force doesn't have enough games in the series and died ages ago, while Fire Emblem continues to be fucking great.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Let us cling together. Tactics ogre of course.

Is it sad that I own this on PSP physical and have never played it?! I see it's being recommended a lot in here.
Honestly, I've not much been into strategy RPGs ever despite buying a decent amount of them over the years. Then the new Fire Emblem released and I fell in love. Then I bought Fell Seal last week and fell in love.
I'm having a moment with this genre so maybe I should break out the PSP and try Tactics Ogre...

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
My favorite SJRPG is FF Tactics Advanced, but I enjoy more FE games so that's my vote. Valkyria is also great, even though I've played very little of it. The real interesting thing is that I didn't know Disgaea was a strategy series until now and, uh... I gotta go.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I voted Fire Emblem because this poll is about the best series, not the best individual game. Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and other strategy games can claim to be the best SRPG, but Fire Emblem not only has some of my favourite all-time SRPGs but the series crushes the competitors here in terms of quantity. There are 11 Fire Emblems I've played and enjoyed (and there's a good chance I'd like Fire Emblem 4 and 5, two games I haven't seriously tried yet), and there aren't even 11 Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle games combined, much less 11 games from those series that I like (for instance, there's only one game from Final Fantasy Tactics that I think is great). Moreover, Fire Emblem is the only series here for which I'll buy a new installment on Day 1; other series here have their best days long behind them (the original Final Fantasy Tactics came out over twenty years ago and the series has never been nearly as good since), but Fire Emblem is still going strong, with the latest entry being one of my favourites thus far.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
With all the new SJRPGs released in recent years, I thought it'd be fun to have one of these threads.

So, Era, which SJRPG series rules the battlefield of your heart? Which franchise deserves to be crowned as The One True King™ of this beloved genre?

Note: I did my best to include the best and/or most important series in the genre. As you know, polls can only have 7 options, so I realize that not everyone will be happy with the selection. If you feel strongly about a specific series, don't hesitate to drop a mention.

Series presented in chronological order:

Fire Emblem

PkPCFP8.png

Debut Year: 1990

A strategy RPG franchise developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo. It is known for its emphasis on character development and concept of permanent character death.

Notable Entries:
  • Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Shining Force

gSrgun4.png

Debut Year: 1992

Sega's long running series of tactical action RPGs which are centered around a young hero's quest to lead a band of adventurers, the titular 'Shining Force', against the forces of darkness

Notable Entries:
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force II
  • Shining Force III
  • Shining Force CD
  • Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon

Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre

1cGKYnV.png

Debut Year: 1993

A series of tactical role-playing and real-time strategy video games developed by Quest Corporation and currently owned by Square-Enix. The second game in the series, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, was a turn-based tactical role-playing game making use of isometric graphics, and is largely considered to be "exceptionally influential" to the genre.

Notable Entries:
  • Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
  • Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
  • Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
  • Legend of Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia
  • Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis

Front Mission

VWDkb6c.png

Debut Year: 1995

A collection of video games created by Toshiro Tsuchida and produced by Square-Enix. The series has seen numerous releases across multiple platforms over the years. It's best known for its serialized storytelling approach and the presentation of realistic mecha known as "wanzers".

Notable Entries:
  • Front Mission
  • Front Mission 2
  • Front Mission 3
  • Front Mission 4
  • Front Mission 5: Scars of the War

Final Fantasy Tactics

9wha346.png

Debut Year: 1997

Final Fantasy Tactics is a spiritual successor to the Tactics Ogre games in the Ogre Battle franchise. The first iteration maintains the same tone as its spiritual predecessors, however the later iterations have a much lighter tone.

Notable Entries:
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
  • Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
  • Crystal Defenders
  • Final Fantasy Tactics S

Disgaea

FCLpPLd.png

Debut Year: 2003

One of Nippon Ichi's most popular franchises, Disgaea is a series of tactical role-playing games that take place in a fictional universe called the Netherworld. The series is known for elements such as complex gameplay, extremely high maximum stats, and humorous dialogue.

Notable Entries:
  • Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
  • Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
  • Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
  • Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness
  • Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance

Valkyria Chronicles

w42wE8f.png

Debut Year: 2008

A military tactical RPG franchise from Sega, the spiritual successor to their Sakura Wars series. The main line of games uses a turn based system known as the BLiTZ (Battle of Live Tactical Zones). The setting for these games take place in alternate universe versions of the Earth, during war times of the 20th century

Notable Entries:
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Valkyria Chronicles 2
  • Valkyria Chronicles 3
  • Valkyria Revolution
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
Its criminal their is no modern system to play the tactics ogre games on

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Front Mission deserves better treatment from SQE. In stead of continuing the series, who got 2 spinoff turds in 9 years span. Wtf were they thinking?