Do you engage in salutations in the elevator?

• Yes

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • No

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • This does not happen and OP is confusing dreams with reality

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Something I've noticed throughout my life is that people on elevators either greet as they enter, or bid farewell as they exit.
Could be something as subtle as a tip of their hat/nod as they enter, or more commonly saying "have a good day" when they're getting off. Is that just a vestige of the olden days when people wore suits and shit?

What's up with that? Is it just because it's like "Hey, I acknowledge I'm stepping into this moving closet with you" or "thanks, I know that was awkward"?

It just seems so quaint in todays society. I should mention I'm in the US. Maybe it's more/less common in other countries.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I do the little nod but I don't usually talk to people in the elevator the majority of the time unless I know them or they did me a favor by holding the door for me.

I just feel like it's a way of acknowledging the inherent awkwardness of being stuck in a tiny box for a short time with a total stranger. Like "yeah, I know that was weird, but we did it".

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Fart on the ride, so that they run out when the doors open. Problem solved

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I basically never initiate interactions with strangers like this, but I'll reciprocate if they do

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
If you're in the elevator with multiple people, no need to greet. If you're in there with just one other person, you greet and bid farewell. Those are the unwritten rules.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I do it when I'm rounding in the hospital

Days can be rough for both family members and staff members alike, and sometimes even a small greeting or well wishes can make someone feel slightly better in the moment at least

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's just being polite. I almost always say hello/goodbye and whatever variation therein.

Also the elevators at my job are frightening in how they wiggle and in how often they break down so I would rather be kind to the people who I might get stuck with.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Im almost always looking at my phone or just a nod. I will only say something if they greet first. If another person joins, thats automatically means I dont have to say or do anything,

CardsFall

Jul 31, 2021
I find this largely revolves around whether somebody does the "what floor do you need" thing. I try to be friendly more often than not.