• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
EAuy5zyUwAEoyWk.0.jpeg

"My job is to stand here at this glorious entrance and leisurely watch the coming and goings of everyone,"
"Make folks smile, you know?"

There have been some famous NPC in Fire Emblem history like the 3-13 Archer in Radiant Dawn or Penta Axe General in Thracia (because he carries 5 axes)
If you are playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses then you may know what I'm talking about just by reading the title thread. For those in the dark, the line comes from a NPC called "Gatekeeper". He is just a generic NPC character that is mostly in the same place each month, always greeting you with "Greetings, Professor! Nothing to report!" following some other text regarding the events that happened the month before.

He has gain a MASSIVE following, and he is one of the most beloved characters in the game. He is cheerful, jolly and always rooting for you. What makes him more endearing though, is that the VA is Kyle McCarley, who voices Alm in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

He has make it to the frontpage on Reddit and of course the r/fireemblem and r/fireEmblemHeroes subreddits

Even media has noticed this trend in the past week.

ajxmk00oebe31.jpg

Credits: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/clp65f/love_is_stored_in_the_gatekeeper_oc/

I firmly believe this is the best example of the excellent characterization in Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and how it's such a huge step up in the right direction for Fire Emblem in general.

This thread is not exactly to talk about Gatekeeper but to ask ERA what other non-important NPC are the true heroes in their respective games/series?

Last edited:

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If my guard says "Nothing to report!" every time I talk to them, I am getting a new guard.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I love that on a certain playthrough in Three Houses Gatekeeper says that they have siblings, meaning that the one from that run is not the same as the idential keepers from the other runs.

Just the "Lovable Rando" type and he's fully voiced like everyone else.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Yeah, he's great. Legit one of the first characters I talked to every time I explored the monetsary. The fact that he's fully voiced (very well) throughout the whole game makes him stand out.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on chapter 6 and I have no idea who this is. Think my brain actively ignores all the generic characters.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He is the best. First person I chat with in every Explore session. He and Byleth are best buds.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I love this dude. His voice acting is so on point! As is the writing for the character!

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
I love how his "Nothing to report" dialogue is so cheery when a lot of shady stuff KEEPS happening inside the monastery...

I love him and the fact that he is fully voiced just add to the charm~

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
really shows how much voice acting can matter sometimes even for very minor characters

nobody would care about him otherwise but the voice for him is just so on point

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't be allowed to end exploration if you haven't checked in with Gate Keeper-sama.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
"Don't mind me, I'm just your friendly Inaba gas station attendant!" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oct 25, 2017
I like Gatekeeper way better than Rallyman and JavCav.
3-13 Archer's still a beast, though.

EDIT:
This thread is not exactly to talk about Gatekeeper but to ask ERA what other non-important NPC are the true heroes in their respective games/series?
Man, almost didn't catch this.

Anyway, Black Iron Tarkus from Dark Souls 1 is the real hero.
Solos a boss for you and would have made it past Anor Londo if he hadn't fallen to his death like an idiot.

Last edited:

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
he keeps the entire plot together. the most relevant NPC in ages
I like to use the church of seiros battalion and pretend he's in there fighting with me

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love this guy. If there was an award for "Best NPC of the Year", Gatekeeper gets my vote 100%.

I'm the kind of player who likes to talk to every character I can in an RPG, and talk to them again if they have something new to say, and I look forward to talking to him every in-game month.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
My favorite is that his voice actor sounded familiar and then Kyle McCarley, the voice of Alm in Echoes:Shadows of Valentia confirmed it was him. Best boy plays best guard. :D

I loved the first line about "no joy to be had here sir"

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love him because he sucks at his job.

Nothing to report on like the week after an invasion and millions of things happening. You had one job. But I love you anyways

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I love it when the internet latches onto some wholesome minor detail like this.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
There is even one point where Dorothea says the line while trying to do her best impression of the guard!

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't realized this was a thing, but I do know this guy lol I love it.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
There is even one point where Dorothea says the line while trying to do her best impression of the guard!
See this is why Dorothea is the best waifu

...is what I'd say if Bernadetta wasn't already the best waifu

...is what I'd say if Marianne wasn't already the best waifu

I just wanted to write the word waifu

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The game does a great job in general of making each detail grow on you over time. You're constantly crisscrossing the monastery, and touches like your growing rapport with the gatekeeper adds to the sense of familiarity and thus home.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Is there a thread that isn't the OT that we can use to just post all the fan stuff from the game? Between the voice actor for Claude doing propaganda to promote Golden Deer and the hilarious retort to Polygon's article and all the other stuff surrounding the game it'd be nice to have a thread to post. I guess there's the fanart thread but I feel that's kinda different.