riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Here's the bottom line:

Game streaming having all clients be in the same datacenter has some big advantages for multiplayer gaming.

However a racing game pulling off 40 cars per match isn't all that exciting because non-streamed racing games have been doing that for years.

Google will need a better example to convince people of the mutli-player advantages Stadia has; and it all comes with the * of "every player then has to contend with their individual amount of input latency". And I really don't know how that * is going to play out... with typical multiplayer gaming the server is aware of each player's latency.. and the client does prediction, and then clients/server agree to "what really happened." With streamed games the server thinks everyone is on a perfect LAN connection and has no ability to adjust for each player's latency.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
iRacing, Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, Raceroom Racing Experience, rFactor 1 and 2

I'm sure there are others I'm missing

Yep, and GTA V races modes with 32 players apparently isn't part of the conversation either. Let alone other genres that have been doing MMO for years and years, in the hundreds even.

EDIT: I also like how posters instantly forget about input latency and round trip back to the screen. Say Stadia go 250-1000 multiplayer games, that is still huge latency, round trips and will affect game experiences regardless of the in game/graphics processing of the cloud. They'll side step some of that with predictions, perhaps even AI, machine learning and digital avatars versions or even full blown replacing player inputs with server overrides as tick rates sync/resync etc.

At the end of the day Stadia is interesting tech but given current limits and lack of success in games that offer 40-250 players in one match Stadia will likely succeed with allowing a few months or mobile subscriptions to dive in for less cost up front. Oh and YT integration.

For core console I see them sticking with Sony/Xbox offerings over Stadia, perhaps PC players will complement their away from home activities but isn't Valve working on similar already too? I wonder who core PC players would prefer? To me, for now, it's a segment similar to mobile gaming. Long term if Internetworking tech allows Stadia could become huge.

EDIT 2: Some of the developer comments about one platform to develop for are misguided as well. Over time Stadia will have the same hardware/platform revisions to develop targets for. Just as PC and consoles have done and will continue to do.

Last edited: