• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
With a name like this I'm surprised it's not "Greetings, parental unit 01. I require sustenance for continued operation."

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
How's the baby's name pronounced again?
Directly from Claire:

bT2ggPt.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
That statement isn't that weird. It's pretty much gaining a new perspective which in turn can change how she approaches music.
When you put it that way, I can see it.

The thing that wierds me put however is that her "art" is affecting her kid. Feels less like a mother and more like someone doing weird shit to her kid for "artistic" reasons.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Whenever my my mother calls my name, there's a 5% random chance I'll yell her name out in response. She hates it.

This is weird and I don't understand. I had no idea her name was Claire.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
When you put it that way, I can see it.

The thing that wierds me put however is that her "art" is affecting her kid. Feels less like a mother and more like someone doing weird shit to her kid for "artistic" reasons.
She's an artist, there's nothing wrong with the experience of being a mother having an affect on her artistry. My wife draws, my daughter affected her artistically because without her realize a lot of her drawings ended up being reflections of her experience as a new mother.

Its only weird because that's the angle you're choosing to look at it from.

in general the reactions in this thread are gross.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
The kid will be just fine being raised by an army of nannies. I'm sure neither of them have changed a single diaper in their life.

Oct 27, 2017
She's an artist, there's nothing wrong with the experience of being a mother having an affect on her artistry. My wife draws, my daughter affected her artistically because without her realize a lot of her drawings ended up being reflections of her experience as a new mother.

Its only weird because that's the angle you're choosing to look at it from.

in general the reactions in this thread are gross.
I mean there is a difference between using her experience as a mother and parenting her kid as an art project. I mean come on, are you expecting me to believe naming your kid a name that is basically a code, that is going to get them bullied, is a good thing?

There is a big difference between your wife's art and whatever Grimes is doing.

Oct 27, 2017
The kid will be just fine being raised by an army of nannies. I'm sure neither of them have changed a single diaper in their life.
But how does he have any time to spend with his children, given his insane work schedule?

"Well, babies are just eating and pooping machines, you know?" he said. "Right now there's not much I can do. Grimes has a much bigger role than me right now. When the kid gets older, there will be more of a role for me. I think just doing what I've done with my other kids. If I have a trip for Tesla to China, for example, I'll bring the kids with me and we'll go see the Great Wall or we took the bullet train from Beijing to Xian and saw the Terracotta Warriors."
www.nytimes.com

Elon Musk, Blasting Off in Domestic Bliss (Published 2020)

The billionaire space oddity on life with Grimes and Baby X, Trump, Tesla, tunnels, short shorts, stock surges, Facebook fumbles and everything else under the sun.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there is a difference between using her experience as a mother and parenting her kid as an art project. I mean come on, are you expecting me to believe naming your kid a name that is basically a code, that is going to get them bullied, is a good thing?

There is a big difference between your wife's art and whatever Grimes is doing.
Not really, there's no basis to claim she's parenting her kid as an art project and frankly I don't see how that's your takeaway. There's no evidence Grimes is being anything else but a mother to her child. She is an artist and being interviewed predominantly because she's an artist so she spoke with that in mind. It's not controversial beyond wanting to project negativity on Grimes and her child because you think the kids name is stupid.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up calling my parents by their name. The only one I call by their title is my mom. My dad gets referred to by his name.

Mar 18, 2020
The first name thing is whatever, lots of white kids do that.

The kid will probably just change his name to Xavier or something when he grows up

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
While there's no way that this kid is having a normal childhood and Grimes not being able to identify with being a mother is definitely weird, you guys need to relax about the whole mom/Claire thing.

Going by some of the posts in this thread I'm either a psychopath or destined to become one, because I grew up calling my dad by his first name. Ffs. It's not that weird.

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, there's no basis to claim she's parenting her kid as an art project and frankly I don't see how that's your takeaway. There's no evidence Grimes is being anything else but a mother to her child. She is an artist and being interviewed predominantly because she's an artist so she spoke with that in mind. It's not controversial beyond wanting to project negativity on Grimes and her child because you think the kids name is stupid.
Perhaps you are right and the kid will grow up right (I certainly would love to be wrong. For his sake.) but everything I see when it comes to the kid and the way she is treating him, is bizarre to say the least.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, who cares. I think I'm more of a parent to my mom than she has ever been with me and I still call her "mom," so that title doesn't mean jack. It's the relationship that matters. I don't see the big deal.

Oct 27, 2017
The kid is 16 month old, Now I'm not saying a 16 month old can't form basic words but It's got zero possibility of saying that it thinks "moma" is strange and claire is okay and it's just mirroring what gets her attention.

Exactly. She seems to be presenting the kid not saying Mama or similar variant as some sort of advanced level of reasoning but kids just call you what you teach them to call you at that age. She doesn't refer to herself as Mama/Mum/Mom/Mother and presumably no one around her does either, so neither does the kid.

Different strokes I suppose. I find it odd to call parents by their first names and I also find it odd that poster uses Ma'am and Sir when referring to their parents, but really it's the relationship that matters and what you call your guardian isn't an accurate barometer of their levels of engagement and affection.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I grew up calling my parents by their name. The only one I call by their title is my mom. My dad gets referred to by his name.
Sorry but now I have to ask, we're both parents involved when you were growing up? It would seem a little strange to me if you all lived together and mom is called mom, but dad is called Chuck

Edit: sorry if this is too personal

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If you dont mind me asking, any reason?
They referred to themselves by their names when around us kids growing up. Wasn't until we started school and heard other kids/teachers refer to them as mom/dad did we realize that that was something people said to their parents instead of calling them by their names.

Acclimation got Mom to stick, but not dad.

Sorry but now I have to ask, we're both parents involved when you were growing up? It would seem a little strange to me if you all lived together and mom is called mom, but dad is called Chuck

Edit: sorry if this is too personal
See above.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a dude so I definitely can't comment on the not identifying with mother stuff, but this seems pretty understandable tbh

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was once high on anaesthetics and called my mom her name when I was in a state of delirium. She got so mad.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Eh, not that strange really. My cousin has always called his dad by his first name as well and they're pretty close.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Well Grimes, you might not identify with the word 'mother', but I hope you at least identify with being a mother. Cause that's what kids need. And since you knowingly brought one into the world...

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, not that strange really. My cousin has always called his dad by his first name as well and they're pretty close.
Sure that doesn't have to mean anything negative. It's something people aren't familiar with so they're xenophobic about it. As long as she's a loving, responsible parent. Of course, i have no idea how those two people are as parents.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If that is his choice then whatever, I know several people that do this, sometimes it just works like that if its the name the baby hears associated with the person the most. Im more worried about the "doesnt identify as a mom" bit, especially after naming her son THAT.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
She's doesn't even pronounce her kid's name correctly. ä or Æ is not pronounce as "A and then I" or "ash" or whatever the fuck. Both these letters in German and Danish are "ae". I can't believe her and Musk also thinks the *name* (ash) in English for the letter Æ is how you pronounce the letter lol

Why use letters from other languages if you not even going to use them correctly? Some pretentious shit

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I used to call my mom by her name because my dad loved to shout it. He had to change to way he call her for me to stop, even 32 years later my dad still adds the prefix Ma'a (=mom) to her name

lol at a 16 month old is making a choice, if no one is calling Grimes maman , mama, mum and no one is telling him to call her that way, how the fuck a 16 month old... jesus

People around them call her Claire, the AI just made the connection

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
User Banned (1 Month): Misogyny
Considering she calls him X Æ A-XII I'm surprised he doesn't call her bitch. He probably just doesn't know the word yet.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Grimes is a total nutjob. A nutjob who makes great music, but man the things she does and says make it so hard to like her.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Always called parents by their name and my son mainly uses my name... Cause it's our names.

Nothing odd about this and I always found it strange parents forcing kids to say mom or dad.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Eh , of all the things going on this won't be the thing that might screw the kid up