malyse

Community Resetter
Charles Powell is a 28-year-old from Cincinnati who just got married to his wife, Myra, on Saturday. The happy couple met on OKCupid a few years ago, he told BuzzFeed News.
sub-buzz-851-1511200593-1.jpg

However, Myra was not the first person that Powell met online who became important in his life. When he was 13 he met three other guys while playing Xbox Live. The four of them had been friends for 15 years, but never met IRL.
It all started in 2003, when Powell was a teen playing a game called Phantasy Star Online on the original Xbox. Players could communicate with each other in the game if they were in proximity to each other.

One day, he struck up a conversation with another player, "Sinjo," aka Joe Walters from Detroit.

"We just happened to walk by each other and I asked him for an item," Charles said.

Through Walters, Powell met two other players, William Brown, aka "Free2spin21" from Tennessee, and Joey Morris, aka "Grimmjo" from Baltimore.

The group had a lot in common, and soon began chatting and playing all the time.

"I would come home from school and they would be online and I would be online," he said. "We just liked the same things."

Their friendship has lasted 15 years, but the group had never been able to meet, until now. Last weekend, Powell's three online buddies (and their dates) traveled to his wedding and they all met for the first time.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/online-friends-are-real-friends

Toadette

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly reading stuff like this makes me so happy. It's just amazing how online gaming can go so far for people.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of these "gamer wedding" stories are usually cringe as hell. This is a really cool story though, met cool people gaming.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Met some online friends for the first time like right before we all hopped on a plane to Japan. The internet can be really great for connecting people, and I'm glad his friends could be there for his wedding.

Jonbjohns

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great story, but I unfortunately need like 100 of these to erase the Pokemon wedding from my mind.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have anything to say but that's so cool.

Also, online gaming with your friends after school was one of the best ways to spend a Friday night.

Nov 19, 2017
I have a friend IRL who plays a ton of XBL games with a group of friends who live in Colorado. He's actually gone there and hung out with them, gone to Broncos games etc. I mean, you have lots of time to actually talk while the play for hours, so those friendships are probably even deeper than real life friendships where interaction aren't as verbal or prolonged.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
I've got a few friends I've known only over Xbox Live. I mean, they were friends-of-friends IRL, but I've never met them before. It all started with Halo 3 back in early 2008, and I'm still regularly playing online with the ones who stayed on Xbox!

Such a cool story, shows how much mutual interest in something helps people bond, even if it's not in person.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thirteen years ago they met playing a console MMO with better matchmaking than Destiny has.

Great story.

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine that I met playing online Melty Blood and on 4chan's /jp/ & IRC almost ten years ago - I was living at his place as a roommate a few years later, in another country.

The game that got me to end up meeting people offline and become decade plus long friends ended up being Melty Blood. It wasn't just him, either.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
It all started in 2003, when Powell was a teen playing a game called Phantasy Star Online on the original Xbox. Players could communicate with each other in the game if they were in proximity to each other.

Yeah and just imagine how many more people missed out on meeting their soulmates because SEGA refused to localise PSO II

Now do you see what you've done, SEGA?! You've decreased the love levels in the world. Smdh.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still friends with someone on-line after almost 18 years, should probably meet the dude .. :(

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's a really nice story. I don't have much time for multiplayer gaming these days, but have a couple people I've never met before that I would call friends. It's easy to get to know people while playing Street Fighter or a co-op game.

Oct 27, 2017
One is from Cincinnati and the other is from Detroit...? Took 15 years to meet with that little distance. Shit, meet up for lunch or some shit in Toledo or something.

I mean I have an online friend I've talked to for over 10 years and we've never met but he's on the opposite end of the continent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still friends with someone on-line after almost 18 years, should probably meet the dude .. :(
I have one of those sorts of longtime friends, too, although that recently changed. it's been about 14 years. l've fallen out of contact with him because he's been converted into an alt-right shitposter. Everytime I try to strike up a conversation with him these days it's always something about Jews or black people.

This isn't the same person I mentioned above. This guy here, we haven't met, but I don't feel much of a desire to anymore.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Yea thats cool. I have a few Xbox Live friends like this. Have gamed together since the early days of the 360 until now...never met. Im sure we will someday tho.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't doubt that many people have similar stories in that we made really good friends during the earlier years of 360 and PS3.

Jared

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome. One of my groomsmen I met playing Halo 3 online and we never met in person until the day before the wedding. He was one of my best friends cousins which was a little different from this situation but it's always cool to see how friendships come to be.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thats kinda nice. Honestly one of my better friends these days is someone i met playing online, we've never met in person.

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
Not too surprising. Friend of mine had a groomsmen we've been playing WoW with for nearly 10 years. First time we met him in person was for the wedding as well.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
One of the first times I got to play online with voice chat was Halo 2. I remember playing with a dude from England who added me, and when I got out of school late from practice or rehearsal this dude would be on. We stayed online friends for something like 8 years until my schedule normalized a bit and I stopped seeing his gamertag online.

The level of trust you can build with genuine people is remarkable.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
something about early 00's MMOs really seemed to bring people together. maybe it's still like that but it seems like you hear about this sort of thing less and less

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
something about early 00's MMOs really seemed to bring people together. maybe it's still like that but it seems like you hear about this sort of thing less and less
Early MMOs had no realm connections and match making tools. You had to find people, communicate and build a reputation to progress. Most of that is gone, as the servers are inter connected and you have tools for everything, from dungeons to raids.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats awesome. I have people I've known online now for literally over 20 years who I have never met face to face that I very much consider to be actual friends. Like, talked on the phone sort of deal. I would love to meet some of those guys.

EDIT: Also, a few of my IRL friends, like Bill from Zeboyd Games, I met online about 15 years ago.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I have a few gaming friends who I've known for over 10 years, close to 15 years in one case. I definitely consider them real friends.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was a groomsman in a wedding with someone I met from Xbox Live/another gaming forum. We were able to meet up a few times prior to his wedding so it's not quite as cool as this story, but I still get a lot of interesting looks when I tell the story.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Really nice story and makes a change from the usual negative stories that get published about online gaming (especially Xbox Live).

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I remember having online friends in an old forum I used to post. Then it went dead and never knew what happened to them. Huh. Became kinda reclusive after that.

Those stories are really cool as hell though. :) Glad people have good experiences in online gaming.