Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I do remember Rockstar even said as GTAV was releasing that "of course" they would consider a GTA game with a female protagonist.

It's just GTAV was all about masculinity (the good and bad) as a theme

GTA V was a satire with 3 of the biggest losers and assholes in gaming. It made sense they were all men.

It's still a shame the majority of GTA audience has no idea those games as satire. (Not to dismiss great discussions on how effective/ineffective that satire is)

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I feel it hasn't been normalized, looking at all the hate towards Rey and the Thirteenth Doctor Who, people saying Aloy is cold and unlikeable, when she's quite a compassionate character.
I wouldn't dare argue that women aren't subject to more scrutiny or that they have equal billing and representation yet, but in at least Rey and Aloy's example, I think there's a decent case to be made that a lot of the criticism and dislike is just due to them being either poorly written or uncharismatic protagonists. And even with those two examples you provided - the sequel trilogy still made a billion a pop off a female protagonist, and Horizon has been perhaps the most successful exclusive new IP this decade. A vocal minority can't take away from the fact that the normal majority have more than accepted capable women in leading roles.
I think Patrick Klepek had, on the Bombcast, before the reveal of GTA V, a worthwhile reasoning for why a female protagonist would be of certain significance and value back then. But now, not only is it belated, maybe also reactionary, seeing it happen after the benz and Dan Houser's departure makes you cock your head and question the timing of things, let alone the organisational culture and values.
Good points. And in 2011 when GTA V was first revealed, I agree that would have been a real moment. Though in the decade plus since then we've had TLOU 1 sweeping the 2013 awards with a female co-star and its subsequently lauded sequel starring two female protagonists; Blizzard's Overwatch being headlined by a female mascot; the historically mega-machismo Gears of War getting a female lead; a 60-year-old Malaysian-born Chinese woman leading perhaps the most awarded film in history (Everything Everywhere All At Once); and a smattering of other award-winning female-led titles (e.g. Returnal, Nier Automata, Celeste, Control, Edith Finch, etc.).

Last edited:

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
Having a Hispanic/Latin female lead is great and I welcome it even if I'm wary of how they've written female characters in the past. I'll take it and give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

I am, however, a little confused at people calling her a PoC. Is this a regional thing? I'm darker skinned than she is. Do people really think of Latin/Mediterranean skin tones as PoC?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Better wait for the game to come out first before saying this thing is a net positive for inclusivity. Especially considering the history of the series in how they treat women.
Also, the protags in GTA are violent criminals. That's unfortunately how bigots already view minorities, i.e. "they're sending murderers, build the wall, etc." We need more positive representation in games, not the kind of protags in GTA.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
my problem is that they are both too good looking lol, i kinda dont want my GTA characters to look like supermodels.

i dunno, am i alone on this? am i crazy?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Even tho GTA SA had a black protagonist back in 2004.
Just refreshing people's memories on how racist gamers were when San Andreas was revealed. And these posts were from GAF, not Gamefaqs.

96ffy9.jpeg

96fNQi.jpeg

96fooP.jpeg

96fMIK.jpeg

A couple of black posters pointing out the racism.
96fn71.jpeg

96fzxx.jpeg

96flek.jpeg

96fHJe.jpeg

96fKBM.jpeg

96fsFq.jpeg

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, the protags in GTA are violent criminals. That's unfortunately how bigots already view minorities, i.e. "they're sending murderers, build the wall, etc." We need more positive representation in games, not the kind of protags in GTA.
GTA protagonists are genocidal freaks regardless of whatever sob stories they have. Add in Rockstar's continued effort to depict (American) violence in some sort of realistic fashion, it's....yeah.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I think Patrick Klepek had, on the Bombcast, before the reveal of GTA V, a worthwhile reasoning for why a female protagonist would be of certain significance and value back then. But now, not only is it belated, maybe also reactionary, seeing it happen after the benz and Dan Houser's departure makes you cock your head and question the timing of things, let alone the organisational culture and values.
Wouldn't writing be finished now anyway? Pretty certain GTAVI was written by Dan again.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
my problem is that they are both too good looking lol, i kinda dont want my GTA characters to look like supermodels.

They look like younger Gen Zs, that could be the type of story they want to tell. Younger adults are generally more attractive or cuter. Some of the main characters in older GTAs would look more attractive if they weren't done in a cartoony art style.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's going be a fucking nightmare. TLOU Pt.2².

Thankfully in my case it's going to be easy to ignore.
I don't think it will be Last of Us 2 because Abby is very muscular, which is treated as more intimidating and 'woke' to the critics. I believe the commentary of having a female protagonist in a modern GTA will be more microaggressive.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
hmmmm I would agree although I think the fact that the other protagonist is a white guy is going to "soften the blow" for those types of people

unfortunately sad that has to be a reason why
You underestimate how important the culture war is for these people. It's their whole personality.

Edit: Obviously the game will still sell a ton. But the bigots aren't going to shut up about how woke and terrible it is to be forced to play GTA as a woman.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
hmmmm I would agree although I think the fact that the other protagonist is a white guy is going to "soften the blow" for those types of people

Don't think so. There are a bunch of content pushers out there whose major income is driven by continually pushing culture war on their audience, a daily feed of absolute mind piss which actively circulates between them. They won't care about any softened blow, they'll be hitting up the angle and focusing on nothing but that.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Nice of them to finally get to the level of Saints Row 2 in 2008.
No because Saint Row 2 has a custom main character, and you can go earlier, and the original GTA beat it because there was a playable female character. But anyway I think OP is probably talking modern GTAs which have scripted cut scenes with pre-established backstories.

Apr 2, 2021
Just refreshing people's memories on how racist gamers were when San Andreas was revealed. And these posts were from GAF, not Gamefaqs.
This was an eye-opening post.

Sometimes I get frigging angry at the culture war stuff and wish it was like "the good old days", back when female and non-white characters weren't treated like such a big deal by both sides. Well obviously I'm fucking wrong, and this shittiness was present then too. And to be honest, I probably was kind of shitty myself since I was a white 14 year old.

I guess it's just the haters now have connected, and they can amplify and further radicalize each other. Also mainstream American politicians have joined in to this because they know it's a way to get popular instead of actually talking about important stuff.

Thanks for showing the good old days weren't actually that good.

Last edited:

Scuttlefluff

Oct 28, 2017
I shouldn't have made this thread the first thing of the day I read.

None of your faults, obv.

The volume of fragile losers out there.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

You are underestimating the potential outrage over a white GTA protag having a romantic relationship with a PoC. These people already see red whenever they come across a cereal commercial featuring a happy mixed race family.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I also hope the main duo are a couple. Playing as a romantically involved couple is also pretty rare.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that thinks that this isn't a giant deal is lying to themselves. A woman as the (or a) lead, especially for big games and even moreso a poc, is still the rare exception.
Heck, just look at this year, touted by many as one of the greatest years for gaming ever.

And sure, some people will cry "woke" about a lot, but there is a difference between that and the hate that e.g. TLOU2 got.
You'll also have plenty of folks that (when it comes to women or poc) just hide behind general/vague criticism, such as "talks too much", "unlikeable" or the classic "bad writing".

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Not only am I really excited for Lucia, I'm just really looking forward to a romance being front and center in such a huge game. Honestly, how often does that happen in video games? I can think of stuff like Haven, some JRPGs...

I assume it'll be toxic as all hell like any GTA story but still, just thinking of the beginning of the game where they'll presumably meet and you get to play as each perspective... There's some really interesting stuff they could do here. In the biggest game in history!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it was posted in the PS OT yesterday and I was surprised at how many people believed it. The story doesn't make any sense. GTA's certainly no stranger to featuring real people in it, but rather notably those people are integrated into that world. Cara Delevingne is the host of Non-Stop Pop FM in GTAV, and she talks about life in San Andreas. The idea that they're going to take a real podcast that talks about real people and real events and then just dump it into GTAVI just doesn't make any sense. It also goes against Jason's story where the general tone of the article was that they were actively trying to get away from the frat boy mentality of the company and the games, and Joe is really the embodiment of all that they'd be trying to get away from.

Last edited:

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Personally I think this is just going to give way to more "haha women" humour in the games, not something positive at the end of the day. It is good to see more women PoC in games though.

Last edited:

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020

96ffy9.jpeg

96fNQi.jpeg

96fooP.jpeg

96fMIK.jpeg

A couple of black posters pointing out the racism.
96fn71.jpeg

96fzxx.jpeg

96flek.jpeg

96fHJe.jpeg

96fKBM.jpeg

96fsFq.jpeg
This post should be in the hall of fame.
Thanks
A most welcome view of the past

What a bunch of trash people

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
There is no chance Joe Rogan is in the game. A parody of Joe Rogan? Sure, maybe. But not the actual guy.

I disagree. I don't think it'll soften the blow. This isn't some small game it's GTA6. Seeing a POC woman as one of the main characters will set them off like crazy.

We're talking about people who go nuts over the existence of pronouns, whether it's related to trans people or not. People who got angry over the green M&M being made less "sexy". These people have completely lost their minds in their culture war. That and it'll get them a lot of views and attention.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire

The actual footage was very beta looking and the image in the OP is a fan render, so nothing is final.

I would be shocked if the end design of the woman isn't just a conventionally attractive video game lady. They could make the guy into a crumbling meth-head, but I doubt they would with her. Maybe a cool looking scar but they won't go full Trevor on her.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
is the woman shown in that picture considered POC by you guys?

That's not actually her since there's no official media for GTAVI yet. But even if it were, yes? Why wouldn't she be. She's the same complexion as someone like Rachel Zegler who's currently experiencing a ton of racism and harassment because she's playing Snow White.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
GTA V was a satire with 3 of the biggest losers and assholes in gaming. It made sense they were all men.

It's still a shame the majority of GTA audience has no idea those games as satire. (Not to dismiss great discussions on how effective/ineffective that satire is)
Look at how popular Trevor became when he was supposed to be a commentary on them…

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I remember how RDR2 seemed to build Sadie up as the post-game playable character throughout the game and then copped out. Very disappointing, but they can make things right with GTA6.