M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
"The graphics gap between Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA 6 will be greater than the one we experienced between GTA 5 and RDR 2"​
Source: https://www.rockstarmag.fr/gta-6-im...-of-the-rage-engine-a-rockstar-mag-exclusive/

Some tidbits:

WATER: Rockstar Games has therefore decided to develop a new technology concerning water physics and integrate it into their next project, GTA 6. The team in charge of this mission is called the « RAGE Technology Group« , a subdivision of the Rockstar San Diego studio that developed and released the starry firm's proprietary engine in 2006. The team is composed of twenty-ish engineers with in-depth knowledge of programming, real-time physics simulation, understanding of memory padding considerations, linear algebra, trigonometry, matrix and quaternion mathematics. After months of research, experimentation and optimization, engineers at the Californian studio have achieved the feat of physically simulating water in an open-world video game in real time.

The ocean will play an important role in the GTA 6 universe, and that new activities such as surfing will be possible (although this has not yet been confirmed). In 2000, Rockstar Games published the video game Surfing H30, developed by Opus Studio. The game being what it is, it had the merit of daring to venture into an area where the technical capabilities of the time were not optimal for making the most of the targeted activity.

VEHICLES: Many improvements have been made to vehicle physics, thanks to a significant increase in the number of polygons compared with GTA 5. This will enable more precise deformations and, by extension, more realistic accidents. From now on, vehicle customization will impact not only the exterior, but also the driving experience. In any case, this is what Rockstar and the San Diego teams are aiming for with the new version of the RAGE engine. Installing a spoiler on your vehicle, for example, may prove useful for your handling during gusty storms. The balance between realism and arcade mode will be managed in such a way as to maintain a driving experience similar to that of GTA 5, so don't worry about this key element of the game.

More at the link above...

This game will be something.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Holy hell. The jump between GTA5 and RDR2 was already huge. GTA5 itself got a lifiting with RT.

No mention of RT in the article though. Glad this concides with past leaks that they will improve water physics but they mentioned waveworks which was good for its time but there are now more advanced water systems than it

I will be really amazed if they come close to this, let alone adopt it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qun9Utp9dyw

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
That's a bold claim.

The vehicle section is more concerning than hype honestly. But we'll see when we get there.

NativeTongue

Oct 4, 2023
NYC
I'm not really worried about the technical aspects of this game. I'm more interested to what degree they integrate these things into actual missions.

Measure

Aug 14, 2020
A bigger jump than from GTA5 to RDR2? I don't see how that is possible without actually implementing new rendering technologies (like a Nanite equivalent). But AW2 was just revealed to use Mesh Shaders, so maybe there is hope.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
A bigger jump than from GTA5 to RDR2? I don't see how that is possible without actually implementing new rendering technologies (like a Nanite equivalent). But AW2 was just revealed to use Mesh Shaders, so maybe there is hope.

There will be surely different techniques of hybrid RT/GI like Lumen and Nanite with polygo per pixel level. they are not exclusive to Epic you know and big companeis could develop their own similar techs.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is still the best looking game i have ever played on PC. The scope of the game with those graphics is just mind blowing so if this is a pretty big jump, gonna be wild.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to cost more than some countries entire yearly budgets.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2 is still the best looking game i have ever played on PC. The scope of the game with those graphics is just mind blowing so if this is a pretty big jump, gonna be wild.

Neither the scope nor the graphical techs in RDR2 that makes it stand out the most (not saying they are bad, on the contrarry) but the amount of little details the devs managed to include in the game that no game can dream about, almost life like level.

Last edited:

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Neither the scope nor the graphical tecsh in RDR2 that makes it stand out the most (not saying they are bad, on the contrarry) but the amount of little details the devs managed to include in the game that no game can dream about, almost life like level.
The volumetrics for fog/mist/clouds/light shafts for RDR2 on PC maxed out does make it stand out quite a bit.

Although agreed. The little details and animations for every little thing was what it made it stand out.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Where is the information in the OP even coming from?

It reads like a press release but the the site looks like a random blog.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Where is the information in the OP even coming from?

It reads like a press release but the the site looks like a random blog.

Exactly my first impressions. First I mistook for an official announcement then I saw them posting stuff from other third parties and engine then I realized it was a magazine.fr posting in English then I read it was exclusive infos for them.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I mean its been 5 years since RDR2. Another year(s) in development and you basically have the equivalent of a console gen in between them. Not that hard to believe that the visuals and tech will be above and beyond.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I desperately want an RT reflection implementation comparable to Spider-man 2, or at least its performance mode.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. I do expect it to look better than RDR2 though which would go without saying.

The 28th Hour

Alt Account
Banned
May 27, 2023
this game is going to be insane in general

I think we'll get the best protagonists of GTA too coming off of RDR 2... I like the look of Lucia and Jason (fanart of them based on the leak)

a Hispanic woman and a Redneck dude as a couple should be quite fun

hossein-diba-5.jpg

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
I read the article, and it's clear that the people writing this have no goddamn idea what they're talking about. Even if they somehow have insider info, everything they talked about is so vague it could literally refer to any game engine developed in the past 10 years.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know that Rockstar is a monster, but still can't believe a bigger gap compared to GTAV ---> RDR2.

Dodger

May 30, 2020
RDR2 is amazing so i am intrigued. Really need to get back to my 100% playthrough but those rare hunting quests are a bitch

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The CPU improvements in current gen consoles was always going to allow R* to do impressive things with the physics and "systems" of their games.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
this game is going to be insane in general

I think we'll get the best protagonists of GTA too coming off of RDR 2... I like the look of Lucia and Jason (fanart of them based on the leak)

a Hispanic woman and a Redneck dude as a couple should be quite fun

hossein-diba-5.jpg

Plz plz plz make them exes that are forced to live together due to finances and are doing crimes to get money to move away from each other

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I think I am going to be on the slow side of gobbling this news up.

The real-time water sim stuff has been known for a while, so it's probably true. I've been telling people to expect the game to be 30fps because of this alone.

The stuff regarding the leap I am not buying till I actually see it.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
To be fair, the article reads like a bunch of educated guesses to me. That said, some proper water physics would be nice to have, although I wonder if it's worth the performance impact.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I would prefer zero visual upgrade from GTA5 but missions that are highly flexible and use the sandbox nature of the world, rather than ie car chases where you have to follow an exact set route, or sniping segments where you have to stand in an exact spot etc. If given the choice of technical upgrades that largely result in visual improvements, or core design improvements, it's got to be the latter for me.

I hope this is a big priority for GTA6.

I'd also love to see missions with multiple possible outcomes. Even if it's variants on a similar theme, having the outcome of a mission reflect choices you made in it is something that they've dabbled in, but only a little.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We heard before some claims that this gen gap will as big as the gap between PS1 to PS2 or even more like when passing from 2D to 3D.
We are still waiting...
It's more like PS4 to PS4 Pro! :D
I really like this generation because of 60fps games, but still haven't seen a game (even in 30fps games/modes) that surprise me like previous gen gaps. We have lots of amazing looking games on PS5/XS with awesome technical features, but a huge gap in graphics... I don't see it.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
I would expect it to look crazy yea, parts of the 2013 game still hold up and look pretty nice even today.

Don't be getting too crazy with realistic driving stuff though please...

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
As a massive fan of technical achievements in real time rendering I am just extremely curious to see GTA 6 in action…
just the possibility in the evolution in fluid simulations alone already is a massive hype for me…
having a realistic surfing mini game is also amazing for me…

damn!!
any chance we see a trailer this year?
so curious to see this game…

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
It's more like PS4 to PS4 Pro! :D
I really like this generation because of 60fps games, but still haven't seen a game (even in 30fps games/modes) that surprise me like previous gen gaps. We have lots of amazing looking games on PS5/XS with awesome technical features, but a huge gap in graphics... I don't see it.

Spider-man 2 comes close if not surpasses my expectations for a generational gap type game. Just the amount of small to moderate improvements over the first + the traversal speed is pretty amazing to behold, the intro segment gave me a similar feel to firing up Uncharted 4 on my new PS4 after coming from a 360.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
This rumor has been spreading over the past couple weeks and it seems to me each new source reporting it adds a new layer of guesses and wishful thinking on how that tech will be used in the game.

The original (?) rumor did mention the advanced water physics and improvements to GI to go with dynamic tod as well as improved vehicle physics and animations.

I *think* it was mentioned that the leaker has a good track record but other than that this all reads like all the other "GTAVI will have the best everything ever" rumors that have been floating around with claims that the game will be 700+GB heavy and cost 300$.