• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
And we haven't even went through the holiday season for NBA 2K yet.

http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2315089

Rockstar Games:

Grand Theft Auto V
has now sold in more than 85 million units. According to The NPD Group, Grand Theft Auto V is now the all-time best-selling video game, both in revenues and units, based on combined U.S. digital and physical sales across PC, console and portable.

Launched NBA 2K18, the current iteration of our top-rated and top-selling NBA video game simulation series, for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch and PC. Developed by Visual Concepts, NBA 2K18 received positive reviews from influential critics, including 91/100 from Forbes, 9/10 from Game Informer and 4.5/5 from Digital Trends. To date, NBA 2K18 has sold-in over 6 million units, and both sell-in and sell-through of the title have grown more than 20% over the prior year's release, including a significant increase in digitally-delivered sales.

I also made a separate thread to discuss Take-Two's tremendous microtransction growth since I figured people would want that separately. It's now 48% of their revenue even when a game as large as NBA 2K comes out: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ta...nline-has-best-quarter-ever.4613/#post-658305

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
If Skyrim and NBA 2K/WWE 2K/LA Noire do well enough on the Switch I fully expect GTA V sometime in 2018 to make it as well.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTA is a Holywood blockbuster type game

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
We're in for a long fight if we want a change for the disgusted microtransaction in NBA 2K. People are just blindly buying it.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2K19's micro-transactions are going to be even more predatory and intrusive.

Nothing stops this train.

Oct 27, 2017
" NBA 2K18 received positive reviews from influential critics"

Did anyone else laugh their asses off at this?

Like, goddamn, that's one way to sidestep all the shit that game got.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
BEST SELLING OF ALL TIME BABY LETS GO

Well deserved for an all time great game.

Oct 26, 2017
Now how about that fucking patch for X and Pro? Sigh.

I don't understand why people don't get tired of GTA Online.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Ah shit.
I was really hoping for NBA 2K to bomb. Slow sales for the 2018 game might have caused 2k to reconsider their VC scam tactics. Bought and adored 2K bball games since the Dreamcast era, but stopped buying them after 2k16.

To all the people who say "loot boxes don't bother me, their just cosmetics":
That's exactly what I told myself back when VC was introduced in NBA 2K titles... and now the amazing MyCareer mode that many people loved and enjoyed year in year out is basically unplayable unless you put serious time or money into it.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Almost as many units as the PS3 and it will probably outsell it in the end. Crazy.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
The Q&A session should start in 6 minutes, correct me if I'm wrong Nirolak.

Hopefully, we get more infos on NBA 2K18 Switch sales, somehow.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
"Who the hell is still buying GTA V?!!!?!"

I just hope the next one has a full traditional single player mode, I will never touch the online part of it anyway.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
The Q&A session should start in 6 minutes, correct me if I'm wrong Nirolak.

Hopefully, we get more infos on NBA 2K18 Switch sales, somehow.
I'm expecting:

1.) "So, Red Dead. How much online monies? Tell me!!!"
2.) "Mobile???"
3.) "NBA eSports League. Will that get even more microtransactions going?"
4.) "No, seriously, Red Dead Online."
5.) "GTA Online, can we assume that keeps going forever?"
6.) "Mobile????????????"
7.) "Operator: 'For some reason people stop asking questions on our calls early because we're a hobo company. We look forward to seeing you next quarter.'"

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, GTAV is the best selling game in the US for units/revenue as tracked by NPD.

Other games like Minecraft may still top it in units sold (over 100m) but revenue is unknown since Mojang doesnt provide digital data to NPD.