ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
found 'EM.

here's a fun fact: I created these because for a short period of time there was a preliminary plan to release the game on PS3, and these would be used to create a promotional theme, however that port never came to fruition.

Oh man, these would make excellent wallpapers. Might steal one for my console dashboard theme! Great work!

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I already own this...time to go check.

And confirmed. Bought it probably back in the 360 days.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
found 'EM.

here's a fun fact: I created these because for a short period of time there was a preliminary plan to release the game on PS3, and these would be used to create a promotional theme, however that port never came to fruition.

Treasure's games like this and Radiant Silvergun not coming to PS3 was baffling to me. Like if anyone was buying weird anime games in Gen 7, they were on PS3.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Guardian Heroes is easily worth full price even these days! So many different endings, branches, and the gameplay is top notch!

I wished they ported it to PC, but oh well.

To those that want CAN play it, please do! It is one of the most charming side scroll games ever!

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Finally hooked my 360 up a month ago after it lay dormant for years. When I showed it to my 4 year old, he and I immediately went and beat Guardian Heroes.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
hands down one of the all-time best beat-em-ups, so much content between the multitude of endings and unlockable characters. don't sleep!

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I already own it but haven't played it. I guess I'll have to change that soon!

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
This game was super fun. I remember playing this on my Xbox, a brilliant game - had a great laugh playing the multiplayer with a friend and fighting against 20 TINY mice.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Truly one of Saturn's best and one of the greatest beat em ups ever made. Amazing personality too. I wish they'd port it forward everywhere. Play this, folks.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I think I need to pick up at least a Series S just to play the BC games that never made it to PC and perhaps never will. I tend to forget about many of them but then see great games like this for sale.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
My favorite game as a kid. Loved the branching narratives, loved the character design, loved the combat. It's a shame the GBA sequel wasn't great; still it wasn't terrible.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Man, I wish this was on PC since I don't have an Xbox.

I remember drooling over Guardian Heroes screenshots in GameFan magazine when I was a kid. I seem to remember them spending a lot of time promoting anime styled games or just impressive 2D games from Japan, and I'd gaze at them all day. Never had a Sega Saturn, so I never got to experience this one.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Loved this game. Wore my Sega Saturn copy out. Even had fun creating massive battles with multiples of the most powerful characters.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Is the game as sluggish as it looks in video? I almost jumped on this last night (looove best em ups) but the gameplay speed turned me off 😬

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Saw that last night, bought it and finished it all within an hour period. One of the few games that I didn't get to play on my Saturn back in the day. It's really short but a lot of fun. Great soundtrack too.

Is the game as sluggish as it looks in video? I almost jumped on this last night (looove best em ups) but the gameplay speed turned me off 😬

Did you only watch the earlier levels? The amount of enemies certainly picks up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game is an acquired taste, but very fun when you figure out it's systems. The XBLA port has a better translation than the original Saturn release too.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Not sure what videos you've watched, but I don't think I can imagine calling GH "sluggish". Frequently, it's barely-managed chaos. At least two of the characters are very speedy. And movement/attack speed is a stat you can pump points into at the end of each stage if you wanted.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
This might give me a reason to plug my XBOX back in. This was one of those games I played in passing when at some local Blockbuster videos stores. It seemed fun, but I never had the console it was one. 2 dollars seems like a deal too good to pass up. Just wish it was on Steam or something more convenient. lol

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

Characters need levelling up and iirc you manually assign stat points, game has multiple routes and different endings

original Saturn ver.
uHR9dJS.gif

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Treasure's games like this and Radiant Silvergun not coming to PS3 was baffling to me. Like if anyone was buying weird anime games in Gen 7, they were on PS3.

The first 3-4 years of that gen Sony was actually very anti 2D games on the PS3, That's why all of those Cave/Treasure/G.Rev shmups and others went to the 360.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first 3-4 years of that gen Sony was actually very anti 2D games on the PS3, That's why all of those Cave/Treasure/G.Rev shmups and others went to the 360.
Oh wow, there was a lot of that wasn't there?

Bernie Stolar's ghost came back to haunt the PS3.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Just grabbed this with my monthly $10 rewards certificate basically making it free. Feels like highway robbery lol

rsfour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got the game, but I don't ever remember buying it. Hell, I've got some games that I don't remember buying digitally either.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so happy this managed to be one of the rare Saturn games to get a great port and it's still working on modern hardware. Probably my favorite beat em up ever made.

rsfour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did you ever have Games with Gold?
I've had GP for the past year and a bit, but I didn't actually start redeeming GWG stuff until I got an XSX a few months ago lol. I gotta check my library, but off the top of my head for games I've never bought digitally (GH being one of them), some others I actually own on disc, but are in my library as well (VF5 Showdown, I think some of the Forza games, Mass Effect, few others), don't need a disc to play them. Bit weird.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had GP for the past year and a bit, but I didn't actually start redeeming GWG stuff until I got an XSX a few months ago lol. I gotta check my library, but off the top of my head for games I've never bought digitally (GH being one of them), some others I actually own on disc, but are in my library as well (VF5 Showdown, I think some of the Forza games, Mass Effect, few others), don't need a disc to play them. Bit weird.
Some of them can be explained because they're on Game Pass.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you can play with the original graphics.
Oh yeah, everyone take note:

OG graphics, OG gameplay. The new graphics have a sort of amusing pencil drawing quality to them, but the re-release has two different game modes that change how to play. If you don't like one, it can be altered.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
B
Everyone with an Xbox should own this and Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara. Two of the genre's best ever.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
amazing game, and if you have an Xbox then you have no excuse to try this out imo. this is a great port, I even sold my Japanese Saturn copy because I was only really playing this version lol (+ i stopped collecting retro games due to the insane market).

Spook & Spell

Aug 3, 2021
Easily one of the best beat em' ups ever made. Maybe the best. Damn I wish I had an Xbox. Everyone buy this game.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I saw this game in magazines and shit as a kid and always wanted to play it. Thanks for the heads up!!

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
I wouldn't really call either of these weird anime games, at least not in that sense. Bullet Hell games, in particular, had a pretty large presence on the 360.

For Radiant Silvergun, we know that Microsoft published that version specifically - and considering it had to have the bulk of its assets remade entirely, rather than simply ported or emulated, it wasn't a particularly small amount of work. Though we know Guardian Heroes was published by Sega, I wouldn't be surprised if this never made it over due to Microsoft partially funding the port or something as well, though I'm not privy to anything on that front and it's purely conjecture on my part.