• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
While some might see the new role for Yoshida as a demotion, for me it's actually the more exciting part of the announcement. Seems like he will be filling the void left by Adam Boyes and Gio Corsi, and frankly, I think that's a better fit.

Yeah, for me it's more his tone and that sly grin of his that drives me mad. Maybe I'm wrong, and he's a great guy, but he seems like a douche to me xD

Same... No doubts he has managing skills, putting people in places and with connections so that they will flourish, creating a good place to work at GG. It's just always when I hear him speak, he seemed so eager to be validated or Guerilla Games as a studio.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
New indies division under Yoshida sounds great, maybe now they won't send games like Concrete Genie to die a miserable death.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would rather have a stronger first party and no indies than a lot of indies and a weak first party, but that's just me.
But why are you already judging hermen ability as being bad when he is done a great job as VP of SIE and in GG?maybe he will be great ? Btw his favorite games of all time lists has many Japanese games . So japan studio might get a boost in investment under his management

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Hermen about to go on a rampage and shutter every WWS studio that put up a game with a higher metacritic score than Horizon: Zero Dawn

FullMetalTech

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, New York
Happy for the new changes. Shu is perfect for the indie scene. He can definitely help these smaller studios move up with his experience. Also didn't he have a character in hollow knight this gen? Cant remember.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Playstation seems really EU centered now. Just a little strange because most of their development studios are US based. He's a good choice, but it just seems like Japan and the US are being squeezed out.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Same... No doubts he has managing skills, putting people in places and with connections so that they will flourish, creating a good place to work at GG. It's just always when I hear him speak, he seemed so eager to be validated or Guerilla Games as a studio.

This! Thank you for being more eloquent than me and putting this into the right words.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
But why are you already judging hermen ability as being bad when he is done a great job as VP of SIE and in GG?maybe he will be great ? Btw his favorite games of all time lists has many Japanese games . So japan studio might get a boost in investment under his management
Because reasons.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Playstation seems really EU centered now. Just a little strange because most of their development studios are US based. He's a good choice, but it just seems like Japan and the US are being squeezed out.
EU part of PlayStation did a much better job than their NA counterparts

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

U.S. is self efficient. Most closings this gen has been EU. It makes sense to focus on a region that does not have the consistency of US output. I think after seeing where GG went with his overseeing, I think Jim wants him to try and do that with the rest of their Japan/EU studios.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Well then, interested to see how this develops.
I think you are the only poster I ever actually recognise on this forum, do you know why? Because you are always miserable. As soon as I see your avatar I know I am about to be depressed
Goddamn
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Sony Europe has always been the worst part of SCE, in my mind. If they're the ones driving the ship, that's a bad thing. Hulst is gonna need to do A LOT as boss to dispel that negative energy, and I don't have the patience to expect the best anymore.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, this is...really disappointing news overall. I've been losing faith in Sony for a while now and this just makes it significantly worse.
I think you are the only poster I ever actually recognise on this forum, do you know why? Because you are always miserable. As soon as I see your avatar I know I am about to be depressed

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony Europe has always been the worst part of SCE, in my mind. If they're the ones driving the ship, that's a bad thing. Hulst is gonna need to do A LOT as boss to dispel that negative energy, and I don't have the patience to expect the best anymore.
Sure . This is something we both don't know but have to wait and see . He has to prove himself .Don't expect negative or positive is my suggestion to you ;) .life is much more enjoyable without positive or negative expectations.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
He seems cool, and obviously has a huge love for games and what it takes to make them. Great choice. He's gonna be seeing all those top secret games in development now, and that's pretty damn envious. But also the responsibility to shepard troubled games and shut them down if they aren't coming along, and that's not so envious. Tough job for sure.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Sure . This is something we both don't know but have to wait and see . He has to prove himself .Don't expect negative or positive is my suggestion to you ;) .life is much more enjoyable without positive or negative expectations.

I mean he is a VP of PS so this stuff won't be new to him .
I really don't expect much of a big change with how things go .

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how Sony promotes their employees to these very high ranking positions instead of hiring from the outside.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is about management of the company's structure where Europe has done a better job than us consistently . Not developing games directly per say imo

I don't think this change is going to help them better compete with Microsoft in North America. It's still one of the largest markets in the world and one of two or three regions where Sony doesn't completely dominate. There is something that Sony is not doing in North America that keeps them from market dominance there.

Oct 27, 2017
Each studio will no longer be laden with some burdens, but will now need to prove they are a loyal group.

And when they said "Shu" they were calling his name, not telling him to leave.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this change is going to help them better compete with Microsoft in North America. It's still one of the largest markets in the world and one of two or three regions where Sony doesn't completely dominate. There is something that Sony is not doing in North America that keeps them from market dominance there.
Not price competitive, and it pisses me off.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They need to buy Bungie to make their own GaaS shotter

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Hermen on the promo! Guerilla Games has really grown in this current generation under him into a truly impressive studio. Hopefully he can now help Some of the other studios that haven't made that leap yet.

The next generation of leadership at Playstation is taking form. That's good!

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's more to the fact that MS is very competent in NA than Sony not being competent there . Let's see how that turns out for NA next gen . But Jim Ryan has been extremely agile in management recently which is great in this day and age which can serve them well in NA also. A news came out that indie feels neglected and he assigns shu as the person in charge for indies and wants him directly to report to him to make quick decisions . We shall see how this type of a management turns out for them in NA