• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Hiring new staff to make bigger studios > buying new ones.

I hope they can work on two projects now.. I want a new IP from them or a new Killzone.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the move is now complete and they have finished moving into their new location. I wonder how they are going with growing the team. Ideally I'd love them to become a two-project studio but with the size of Horizon 2 I'd imagine even if they were 400 staff strong most would probably be moved over to help get that finished.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I didn't know Hermen Hulst is still CEO of Guerilla Games since he became the Head of Sony Studios.
I like the idea that the head of all studios has his own studio in the group, it keeps someone on the ground.
But somehow that sounds like some immense work to do.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the move is now complete and they have finished moving into their new location. I wonder how they are going with growing the team. Ideally I'd love them to become a two-project studio but with the size of Horizon 2 I'd imagine even if they were 400 staff strong most would probably be moved over to help get that finished.

Aren't they already a two team studio? They were hiring for a multiplayer title last year.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm hoping that Guerilla Games Socom game is happening! Thwir clearly geared for 2 games at once with 400 employees.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know Hermen Hulst is still CEO of Guerilla Games since he became the Head of Sony Studios.
I like the idea that the head of all studios has his own studio in the group, it keeps someone on the ground.
But somehow that sounds like some immense work to do.

No, he's no longer studio head although he probably still has tons of fondness and loyalty to the team and it seems like he was there for the opening.

Aren't they already a two team studio? They were hiring for a multiplayer title last year.

Yeah, supposedly, although I suspect when Simon Larouche was brought back on board it was intended to lead a small pre-production team while the actual developers were busy making Horizon 2. What I mean is that I would like them to have two development teams who work side-by-side, so you might have 300 developers making Horizon 2 and 100 devs making their FPS game so that the projects are actually ongoing at the same time. Whereas in reality 300 people is not that many for a game the size of Horizon 2, so they might end up having to poach staff from the other project to get certain things finished in the lead-up to launch.

Man I'm hoping that Guerilla Games Socom game is happening! Thwir clearly geared for 2 games at once with 400 employees.

As someone who doesn't care about Socom or 'realistic' shooters in general I would much prefer they take lessons learned from Killzone and make a new sci-fi FPS. With the excellent environment & level design in Horizon I would happily see them tackle something a bit more far-flung, like an FPS inspired by Unreal or Metroid Prime. Killzone always had potential but at this point I'd honestly prefer they move on to a new FPS IP or completely reboot it and get much better writers for the characters and dialogue.

That being said, there is a rumour their new FPS will be MP-only, in which case my interest would be close to zero. I loved KZ2 in its day, but I don't play online any more.

Last edited:

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Oh, ok...
i could have sworn i have read somewhere in this very thread "Hermen Hulst, CEO of Guerilla Games, ...", but i don't even find it anymore, lol

He will still have financial stakes in GG of course, and he lives in Amsterdam. I imagine he still works his new role from there when hes not on a plane visiting other studios.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, ok...
i could have sworn i have read somewhere in this very thread "Hermen Hulst, CEO of Guerilla Games, ...", but i don't even find it anymore, lol

Well, this was a two year old thread that I bumped, and he probably was still head of Guerrilla when it was made. But the studio is now the charge of three folk, although Angie Smets is the only one I remember.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
400 employees? Sounds like 2 projects at once to me.
Could be or one team working on a next gen game like Horizon, while a second team starts the next project. Will be interested to see how this pans out, because with GG there are many possibilities. Such as
  • 2 AAA teams
  • 1 bigger AAA team due to next gen and 1 standalone DLC team
  • 1 AAA team, 1 pre production team and a bigger decima team to make this a bigger multiplatform engine and license it out.