• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2017
I don't expect to see another real Guilty Gear sequel in next to forever. I just don't see how it makes any fiscal sense to do it for ArcSys. Guilty Gear is easily one of the most revered IPs that people only give lip service to and aren't willing to play/buy. It's super frustrating.

Hell, I feel pessimistic about even getting new characters for Rev 2 at this point.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
This version is awesome! :D

Then:

Now:

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I-No's 663 buff is crazy good with VCL holy shit

finished my stick just in time for 2.1:
Finished my HRAP4 Kai:
DW09wyXXUAAQpxN.jpg

Got the art commissioned for my stick and ended up getting another set of buttons. Had to actually take the plunger out of two of them since they had silencing foam pads already inserted? Never had that happen but luckily it was a quick fix. It was also easier than I expected to pull the original sticker off for the stick. I used a sharp knife to get under by the buttons, and then I used a flathead to start prying it up. Once I got to the edge I was just able to pull it up from the edges easy.

My cable storage door was signed and sketched by Daisuke Ishiwatari a few years ago as well:
DW09wylXcAArMp5.jpg

I had a Sanwa button of I-No in Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator as well, but I didn't really care for the texture on it. Kinda felt like it would rub off if I got too rough.

Seyob

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they soon realize that was a mistake!
In my local scene, quite a few of them have already backtracked actually ;-)

Kufkah

Oct 26, 2017
Most of GG players are playing DBFZ. Same goes for BlazBlue I presume.
Most GG players from our scene are still playing GG, there are more SFV players playing DBFZ than GG players... Actually, looking at the US and Japan top players scene there are more SFV and NRS players playing DBFZ than GG players too!

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
Since Rev 2 is on sale now I'm interested in picking this up but I'm also pretty hesitant since I fear the online might either be dead or the skill gap will be too big for a newcomer. As a LatAm player, any idea if it's still worth it to pick this up?

mathematics

Oct 25, 2017
Since Rev 2 is on sale now I'm interested in picking this up but I'm also pretty hesitant since I fear the online might either be dead or the skill gap will be too big for a newcomer. As a LatAm player, any idea if it's still worth it to pick this up?

IMO:
Online will feel dead if you don't know where the discords are. Join the reddit Guilty Gear discord and if you know your local discord that too (the guys in the reddit discord can help with that).

There will always be a skill gap. It always sounds tough when people say you have to dedicate the hours to learn but that's how it is with fighting games. Learning Guilty Gear is extremely rewarding if you are into fighting games

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Jam is surprisingly easy to get started with, the more range and character specific combos threw me off a bit at first but it's surprisingly straightforward to get her pressure game going against any member of the cast.

Kufkah

Oct 26, 2017
Jam is surprisingly easy to get started with, the more range and character specific combos threw me off a bit at first but it's surprisingly straightforward to get her pressure game going against any member of the cast.
She's a play at your own pace characters, and imo, easier to win with past beginner level than you would with Ky.

At start up level, Ky is by far the easiest to pick up and play. Once you pick up the basics and bnbs though, characters with heavy momentum are easier to win with since Ky has to play neutral and it's hard to open up good players with him!

Deimo5

Oct 25, 2017
Teresa is so emotional, I think the day before someone went to check if he wasn't having a heart attack or something. Somehow still seems to put it aside and perform at a high level with Jam. On the other hand, Daru always seems so casual while pulling off all his freaky I-No shenanigans.
It was good close final at Combo Breaker for Xrd - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/266252564

Deimo5

Oct 25, 2017
I would hope for news at Evo although last time I think they just brought Dragonball and Blazblue tag stuff

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I would hope for news at Evo although last time I think they just brought Dragonball and Blazblue tag stuff
Well, last year those were their big upcoming games, and nothing new was on the way for GG, so that makes sense, haha.

It's probably about time to hear something new for GG, and I've been feeling the next game will be a bigger update than what we've seen with Xrd so far, so I'm looking forward to it.

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
o dang I found the Gyulty Hear Thread lol.

so umm... does anyone here play Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2?

coz like... I apparently entered Evo for the game... and dont really know how to play lol

I have like a week to practice :p if any1 wants to play :) let me know!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
o dang I found the Gyulty Hear Thread lol.

so umm... does anyone here play Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2?

coz like... I apparently entered Evo for the game... and dont really know how to play lol

I have like a week to practice :p if any1 wants to play :) let me know!

lmao
When you say you don't really know how to play, how 'don't know how to play' do you mean lol?

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
well I used to play GGXXAC at Family Fun arcade and never beat anyone. There was this real good Potemkin player named Mike Z, I never spoke to him but must have spent like $10 trying to beat him and never beat him once.

but I did get 2nd place last year at a 5 person round robin tournament at Magwest! lol. That was a year ago tho, I never played the game since :( I also didnt win any money unfortunately.

I don't know how to play in the sense that I've no idea what that rejection block thing is, or what the countdown thing is when two ppl clash hits at the same time... everything I know about playing Guilty Gear is muscle memory from like 2007...

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the Mike Z I'm thinking of (the one who went on to design and program the combat in Skullgirls), then it's no surprise that he was as good as he was.

The GGXrd games use #Reload specifically as a base rather than Accent Core, so while experience with the latter is better than nothing, it's not as ideal in adjusting. The rejection block you're referring to is a defensive mechanic called Blitz Shield, which allows for deflecting an attack at the cost of 25% tension but can also be countered by someone Blitzing you back after you get it (personally, this is one of the things I don't care for about Xrd and feel trivializes its value as a defensive option). An offensive version that takes time to charge up was introduced in Rev1, and can either cause crumple or send the enemy flying depending on how long you charged it.

The countdown following a clash is called Danger Time. Triggering it is completely random, and not only does damage go up while it's active, every non-projectile attack that connects becomes a Mortal Counter. It's pretty much the most widely reviled mechanic in Xrd.

Last edited:

Deimo5

Oct 25, 2017
Is it true Ogawa dropped Guilty Gear? Zato needs buffs?
All his recent tweets are about Dragonball too.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how players take to the execution of even more simplification that Ishiwatari and crew have been considering for it, I suppose. Either way, I can't really blame anyone for getting burnt out on Rev2 (fighting Johnny or I-No on the rare occasion that I actually find matches with stable connections isn't exactly fun). Much more focused on BBTAG and to a lesser extent DBFZ myself.

Nov 2, 2017
Depends on how players take to the execution of even more simplification that Ishiwatari and crew have been considering for it, I suppose. Either way, I can't really blame anyone for getting burnt out on Rev2 (fighting Johnny or I-No on the rare occasion that I actually find matches with stable connections isn't exactly fun). Much more focused on BBTAG and to a lesser extent DBFZ myself.

Well, I'm more expecting an update to Xrd, not a new Guilty Gear, wholesale. They wouldn't really be simplifying anything substantial there.

I'll probably drop Guilty myself if they don't announce a new substantial update at EVO. I might even drop it regardless, since the future for the franchise looks kind of bleak in terms of developer support.

JEKKI

Oct 27, 2017
finally got to play this game today and uuuuuuuuugggghhh I can't win a single match!!!

:(

seriouslythis games sucks!!! lol. at this rate I'll neber beat Evo!!

Nov 2, 2017
I still play regularly. Just not online. I went online on PS4 for the first time last night since 2018 started and there where literally no player matches anywhere in any region.

Probably gonna end up getting a Steam account and a gaming PC/Laptop soon, because not playing diverse people is really holding me back. This game is way too matchup focused to not get regular experience in matchups outside your comfort zone.

Marz Where do you live? If you wanna get some games in on PS4 after 4-5pm on most days, hit me up. Kimosabae is my PSN name. I think you're on my friend's list.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017
I still play regularly. Just not online. I went online on PS4 for the first time last night since 2018 started and there where literally no player matches anywhere in any region.

Probably gonna end up getting a Steam account and a gaming PC/Laptop soon, because not playing diverse people is really holding me back. This game is way too matchup focused to not get regular experience in matchups outside your comfort zone.

Marz Where do you live? If you wanna get some games in on PS4 after 4-5pm on most days, hit me up. Kimosabae is my PSN name. I think you're on my friend's list.

I live in Utah. Ok I remember you, didn't know you had changed your name on here yea we are friends on PSN. I'm down to get some games in sometime, I only have the game on PS3 tho, does Rev 2 still have crossplay?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've went online for the first time last nite (ps4) I'm having good luck in lobbies finding weak players like me. :> Net performance as alright.

I'm gonna try to build up a friendlist for this. I'm sending friend requests to any randos I play at my level.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The best connection I played so far was a "2" that reported 4 frame delay. Felt pretty good!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Of course, you're about as far away from FL as possible. Our connection would be butt. We could try it, but I doubt it would be anything below 6-7 frames which is practically unplayable for me

I've been playing some pretty trash connections so far and I've been cool with it. So we should try sometime.

How long have you played this? I started over a week ago and it's been a riot.

Nov 2, 2017
I've been playing some pretty trash connections so far and I've been cool with it. So we should try sometime.

How long have you played this? I started over a week ago and it's been a riot.

I've been playing Guilty Gear since Accent Core Plus R - so about 3-4 years.

Sure, it doesn't hurt to try, I guess. You gonna be on tomorrow evening?

user__

Oct 25, 2017
I restarted to play this game, after this year's Evo wich made me enamoured again with the game. I'm watching the Joniosan streams and all that stuff. I really, really like to play Jam. I always had a thing with Ky and May too, but Jam is my goto character. I played a bunch of versus against the AI in hard, differently from how I remember it, it seems quite easy to beat, it's good fun anyway but onestly it's a bit underwelming. The AI doesn't really punish my dumb moves, it rarely uses bars, it seems like is very forgiving overall.
Now I have to find someone to play with in Europe, I hope I can still find people on ps3-ps4 here, but maybe it's too late, at my level for sure is. Me being quite anxious, I never had the courage to play online with this game, I hope it's not too late.

Seyob

Oct 30, 2017
I restarted to play this game, after this year's Evo wich made me enamoured again with the game. I'm watching the Joniosan streams and all that stuff. I really, really like to play Jam. I always had a thing with Ky and May too, but Jam is my goto character. I played a bunch of versus against the AI in hard, differently from how I remember it, it seems quite easy to beat, it's good fun anyway but onestly it's a bit underwelming. The AI doesn't really punish my dumb moves, it rarely uses bars, it seems like is very forgiving overall.
Now I have to find someone to play with in Europe, I hope I can still find people on ps3-ps4 here, but maybe it's too late, at my level for sure is. Me being quite anxious, I never had the courage to play online with this game, I hope it's not too late.
You'll still find players of all levels online in Europe. Not super busy but definitely not deserted either. Add me on PSN if you want games