• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Figured this was worth a separate thread. Season three of Fortnite Festival (featuring Billie Eilish) begins today, and Harmonix and Epic have finally implemented support for guitar controllers.

You can now use your Rock Band 4 guitar controllers to go all out on new Pro Lead and Pro Bass song parts on the Main Stage on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC! Check out the table below to see whether your controller is supported with the launch of Season 3.

PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4Xbox Series X|S and Xbox OnePC
RIFFMASTER Wireless Guitar Controller for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4Yes
Rock Band 4 Rivals Wireless Fender™ Jaguar Guitar for PlayStation 4Yes
Rock Band 4 Wireless Fender™ Stratocaster™ Guitar for PlayStation 4Yes
RIFFMASTER Wireless Guitar Controller for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PCYesYes
Rock Band 4 Rivals Wireless Fender™ Jaguar Guitar for Xbox OneYesYes (requires the Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 to use on PC)
Rock Band 4 Wireless Fender™ Stratocaster™ Guitar for Xbox OneYesYes (requires the Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 to use on PC)

We'll have more instrument controller news to announce in the future, so follow Fortnite Festival's social channels to make sure you don't miss a beat!

While it's disappointing that pre-Rock Band 4 guitars (including Guitar Hero ones) aren't officially supported, as well as the PlayStation guitars not being officially supported on PC, there are likely workarounds:
  • If you're trying to use an older / unsupported guitar on consoles (Guitar Hero, pre-RB4 Rock Band, etc.), the Roll Limitless / Roll Limitless Mini adapters will likely work for you.
    • The Roll Limitless works on PS5 when it's set to native PS4 mode.
    • PS3 guitars currently don't work.
  • The RetroCultMods V3 adapter for Wii guitars works, but requires the latest version of the RCM Programming Tool
  • The PlayStation version of the Riffmaster does not work on the PC version of Festival at all right now.
  • For other unsupported guitars on PC (namely pre-RB4 Rock Band and Guitar Hero guitars), I'm not sure right now. I'll update as more people are able to test their controllers to see what works and what doesn't.
Also, yes, drums don't work in the game right now. However, Harmonix is working on implementing support for them in the future.

If you're able to test your guitar to see if it works, please reply here or in the Festival OT to let folks know! Include your platform, which specific controller you're using, if you're using a Roll Limitless or another adapter, etc. Will be nice to get confirmation either way for all sorts of specific setups.

Last edited:

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
is anyone else having troubles with being able to connect to the game with your rb4 jaguar, but playing the pro lead and pro bass modes only to have the "swap device" message on the screen and you're not able to play with the guitar controller? i'm on series x

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got the new guitar coming (possibly today) and I'm kind of looking forward to it. Then again, maybe my nostalgia will dry up if my hands cramp up again like they did when I bumped into a Guitar Hero arcade cab a few months ago lol.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Got the new guitar coming (possibly today) and I'm kind of looking forward to it. Then again, maybe my nostalgia will dry up if my hands cramp up again like they did when I bumped into a Guitar Hero arcade cab a few months ago lol.
To be fair, the guitars on those cabinets are hard as hell to use from what I remember lol. They're built to be sturdy, but the frets are a lot harder to press down compared to one of the console guitars as a result. Been a long time since I played GH Arcade, but that's what I remember at least.

Mar 23, 2018
So even though my PS3 Rock Band guitar works on Rock Band 4 on PS5, it is currently unsupported on Festival, correct? Just want to be 100% sure so I don't bother getting it out of the closet later.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the guitars on those cabinets are hard as hell to use from what I remember lol. They're built to be sturdy, but the frets are a lot harder to press down compared to one of the console guitars as a result. Been a long time since I played GH Arcade, but that's what I remember at least.
Very fair. It also didn't help that my buddy picked one of the higher tiered songs for us to play lol. Should be able to ease in a bit more here.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
I can confirm roll limitless works on xbox and playstation for guitars.

retro cult wii adaptors DONT work on PC as of right now

Imma test retro cult wii adaptor on xbox real quick and see if that works

UPDATE: Retro cult mod wii guitar adaptors DO work on xbox :) Edit: i can get the pro lead and bass options to show up, but i cant get the buttons to work once the chart loads up. might be an issue on my end but worth mentioning

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
So even though my PS3 Rock Band guitar works on Rock Band 4 on PS5, it is currently unsupported on Festival, correct? Just want to be 100% sure so I don't bother getting it out of the closet later.
Correct, but it should work with this:

rolllimitless.com

Roll Limitless Mini

RB4 Fender PS4 does not work then?
It works on PS4 and PS5.

I can confirm roll limitless works on xbox and playstation for guitars.

retro cult wii adaptors DONT work on PC as of right now

Imma test retro cult wii adaptor on xbox real quick and see if that works

UPDATE: Retro cult mod wii guitar adaptors DO work on xbox :)
Thank you, will add this info to the OP shortly

Mattmo831

Oct 26, 2020
Thank you, will add this info to the OP shortly
Edit with retro cult mod adaptors for xbox i can get the pro lead and bass options to show up, but i cant get the buttons to work once the chart loads up. might be an issue on my end but worth mentioning. maybe the firmware needs an update.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I've literally been going through old stuff and getting rid of things, and was *this close* to doing something with my old PS3-era plastic guitars. Sounds like they're not officially supported at the moment, but I reckon there'll be some way to get them working on PC within a few days, right?

If nothing else, this sounds like justification to hang on to them for a few more months at least. I didn't even know Rock Band on Fortnite was a thing, but now that I do, I can expect that there might be some demand for these sometime in the future, so I'd hate to toss 'em now. They've taken up closet space for over a decade: I can wait a little longer...

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Anyone test the old xplorer GH2 360 guitar with it? thats wired so shouldnt need an adapter.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
If I connect my Wii Guitar to PC can I play it? I use it to play the Dolphin emulator RB2 version and it works fine

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I've literally been going through old stuff and getting rid of things, and was *this close* to doing something with my old PS3-era plastic guitars. Sounds like they're not officially supported at the moment, but I reckon there'll be some way to get them working on PC within a few days, right?

If nothing else, this sounds like justification to hang on to them for a few more months at least. I didn't even know Rock Band on Fortnite was a thing, but now that I do, I can expect that there might be some demand for these sometime in the future, so I'd hate to toss 'em now. They've taken up closet space for over a decade: I can wait a little longer...
The rhythm game community is a dedicated bunch. If there isn't a way to get them working in Fortnite right now, there probably will be one sooner than later.

Mattmo831

Oct 26, 2020
  1. Santroller v10.1.0
    • Windows binaries are replaced with an installer, which features in app updates
    • Linux binaries are replaced with an appimage, which features in app updates
    • PS2 guitars no longer hold dpad down
    • Enable MPR121 on arduinos
    • Fix tilt over BT for playstation guitar emulation
    • Fix compliation issues on macos
    • Fix XB1 RB guitar emulation
    • Correctly generate navigation inputs when using GH mode on a XB1

2. [6:10 AM]
    If you want to play fortnite festival in guitar mode, you need to add a XB1 console mode binding
    You also requireauthentication and a XB1 / Series controller, as windows goes through the auth process with XB1 / Series controllers.
    1. Hit add setting
    2. Pick Console Mode Binding
    3. Set the console type to XB1
    4. Pick an input on your guitar (I often use the green fret)
    5. When you want to play, unplug your guitar and hold that input, then plug it back in
    6. At this point it will be emulating a XB1 guitar and the game should work

github.com

GitHub - Santroller/Santroller: Firmware for using various microcontrollers as controllers.

Firmware for using various microcontrollers as controllers. - GitHub - Santroller/Santroller: Firmware for using various microcontrollers as controllers.

Those with santroller adaptors (those with USB ports) should shortly be able to play on pc / xbox. you MUST have an xbox one controller plugged in. Those with adaptors (like retro cult) should update to this new firmware shortly.

Last edited:

wiresandwavs

Oct 15, 2023
hey, weird question - on any platform, is there an easy way to bring back up the calibration screen for festival? i wanna try this on series x with my rb4 guitar, but my tv sound bar is touchyyyy.

i know it shows up when you first play, but i could not for the life of me find where to change it later.

Mattmo831

Oct 26, 2020
hey, weird question - on any platform, is there an easy way to bring back up the calibration screen for festival? i wanna try this on series x with my rb4 guitar, but my tv sound bar is touchyyyy.

i know it shows up when you first play, but i could not for the life of me find where to change it later.
Talk to the NPC next to the screen when selecting songs. Or go in options, gameplay, then festival and adjust

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Really interested to hear how whether the PS5 Riffmaster works on PC or not (Or if support can be hacked in, because honestly I'd rather have the PS supported version, but I would most want PC support

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Really interested to hear how whether the PS5 Riffmaster works on PC or not (Or if support can be hacked in, because honestly I'd rather have the PS supported version, but I would most want PC support
People that already have it says the PS version works with PC, but with limited tilt and whammy. XB version seems to have better support. But that's a month old, so things may have changed.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017

People that already have it says the PS version works with PC, but with limited tilt and whammy. XB version seems to have better support. But that's a month old, so things may have changed.
Just heard Acai say on stream that the PlayStation version of the Riffmaster doesn't work with the PC version of Festival at all right now.

Community guide regarding controller support New
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Community-made guide on current controller support:

Shit is... bleak, at the moment. No wonder Harmonix was so tight-lipped before the update went live.

Anyone test the old xplorer GH2 360 guitar with it? thats wired so shouldnt need an adapter.
It doesn't work apparently.

So on Xbox, do pre RB 4 guitars work if I have the adaptor?
For some stupid reason, no, the official adapter from back in the day doesn't work.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, thanks for the heads up. Saved me trouble of digging it all out. I have a RB4 guitar but I never liked the strummer on those compared to the GH ones so I guess this will be a pass for now.
At the very least, if you're willing to spend a bit of money, the Roll Limitless adapter works for older guitars on Xbox, based on what Mattmo831 said earlier. There's a mini version of the RL that costs $50.

Mattmo831 Which guitar(s) did you test with the Roll Limitless on Xbox?

Mattmo831

Oct 26, 2020
Mattmo831 Which guitar(s) did you test with the Roll Limitless on Xbox?
Xplorer with roll limitless + using xbox one controller for authentication

Retro cult mods guy said his update should be out within a couple adaptors so if you have a wii guitar id go that route

Last edited:

Mattmo831

Oct 26, 2020
That was fast. Retrocult V3 now working with new firmware. Guide to be uploaded shortly on how to update and use it

image.png

Sangral