• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
If the neck+middle position is noisy that sounds like a wiring issue. That position should be hum-canceling.

Noise from a single coil by itself is normal. I got tons of it before I changed the pickups in my only single coil guitar to noiseless ones.

Thanks

I'll check it out again later. I think the middle wasn't as noisy, but not silent like bridge.

I'll probably keep to bridge mostly anyways, but would still like an acceptable option.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
For anyone looking for a convenient headphone practice amp, I've had the Boss Katana Go since yesterday and it's really goddamn awesome. Highly recommend it.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
For anyone looking for a convenient headphone practice amp, I've had the Boss Katana Go since yesterday and it's really goddamn awesome. Highly recommend it.

this is an interesting product as I live in a small house with little kids whose sleep i desperately need to not disturb. any particular headphones you use/would think work best for giving the best sound?

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
this is an interesting product as I live in a small house with little kids whose sleep i desperately need to not disturb. any particular headphones you use/would think work best for giving the best sound?

I use the Beyerdynamic DT-770 80 ohms variant and it sounds great, but any good/decent headphones will work fine. Probably worth thinking how long you'll use them for and consider comfort a priority and whether you want open or closed back.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
Getting has crazy hum with volume more than half without a gate. Bridge is near silent.

It's HSS. Doing more research sounds like it might be on the normal side of things.

The single coil pickups will pick up any ambient RF noise and you will hear it if it's low enough frequency (presumably your wireless headphones are above human hearing); the bridge hum buckers doesn't because it was specifically designed to avoid that issue.

You can fix a lot of single-coil noise by shielding the control cavities of the guitar if the design allows for it, I took the time on my '54 re-issue Strat and it's very, very quiet now. But that's a lot of effort if you're just getting into this.

If the neck+middle position is noisy that sounds like a wiring issue. That position should be hum-canceling.

Only if the middle pickup is reverse-wound, reverse-polarity— which has been the norm for decades and decades, but if you use 50s style single coils or a super cheap guitar where the neck and middle pickups are identical then it won't be.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I think the portal might have had some gain too. Need to find a patch that is lower and tinker

I don't think they're was grounding problems.

Also, it's in a basement with a bunch of things like 75 TV, Xbox, led bulbs etc. Wonder if the outlet could cause some noise too.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
it's in a basement with a bunch of things like 75 TV, Xbox, led bulbs etc. Wonder if the outlet could cause some noise too.

In my experience you need to get really close to LEDs to get a much noise from them. Contrast with an incandescent bulb or CRT display and you get hum very easily from single coils.

Edit: you can also flip these things off and see if there's an immediate improvement- no power means no interference.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been able to play guitar (or bass or piano really) for the last year due to an arm injury. I've made a lot of progress and I decided to put a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow. Something to keep me motivated in strengthening my arm and getting healthy (there's also a certification for my career that I plan on getting first in the next month or so). Then I'm diving in and playing music every fucking day.

So... here's the last acoustic I'll ever need to buy.

PXL-20240321-005650351.jpg

PXL-20240321-005705125.jpg

PXL-20240321-005721724.jpg

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Partner and I closed on a new home and we're making the living room a full band space. It's really the first time I've been able to really crank it in years. First thing I set up was my Silver Sky through a Mark V.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I haven't been able to play guitar (or bass or piano really) for the last year due to an arm injury. I've made a lot of progress and I decided to put a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow. Something to keep me motivated in strengthening my arm and getting healthy (there's also a certification for my career that I plan on getting first in the next month or so). Then I'm diving in and playing music every fucking day.

Wow! 😍

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois

Holy smokes. Is that a D-45?

Damn pretty! Congrats man!

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Got my dream amp a few weekends ago! Waited 3+ years for this! Benson amps is backed up w/ a waitlist stretching years!

A Benson Vincent (w/ a 2x12 Benson Cabinet) pictured here w/ my Novo Serus J! It takes pedals really well too!

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Neural DSP plug-in during their sale. Some Youtube videos showed me the Rabea plugin would give me exactly what I wanted.

Then I had immediate buyers remorse with the Ilok nonsense.

But after toying with it, it's pretty cool. The Overlord Synth might be the real deal. Buyers remorse is lifting. A little.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to try Neural DSP but got intimidated with all the different Artist packs. I went with Amplitude 5 instead. It's ok, nothing special. Still hunting for a good direct to computer sound.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted the guitar tracking synthesizer. It tracks great and has plenty of tone options for what I want. Still barely touched it though.

Happy with the actual guitar tones too. Seems like a really versatile pack.

I got a refurb Scarlett Solo and it worked great. Have a Behringer I tried and it was okay, just really annoying on the software side since it had no official driver or anything.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I messed around with Behringer, M-Audio, etc. interfaces and they all have some kind of headache. Hands down Focusrite Scarlett is the way to go.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
So I ended up ordering an Epi '50s Les Paul Goldtop for $525. Should be here Monday! My first Gibson-shaped object. Never even played one. Gonna probably keep it in C Standard.

I bought a Epi Gold Top 50s standard last year at Guitar Center when it was on sale for $499. The fretwork was atrocious so I returned it. Of course they just put it back on the rack as is. Hopefully yours is a good one.