• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't tell if people here really don't understand he's just asking for more mature romances or if you're pretending not to...it's a pretty simple point, especially if you're familiar with that types of romances in many anime series
if he wants more mature romances he shouldn't be asking it of Makoto Shinkai since his last 3 feature films feature age ranges that I simply do not trust the very medium of anime to handle in a responsible manner.
Yes, anime should be able to depict romance as more than just hand-holding, it fails to very often to its detriment. But from that director's mouth aimed at Makoto Shinkai of all people, it's going to raise questions.

Dec 31, 2017
Seems like he's criticizing the sanitization and nostalgic romanticization of middle/high schoolers.

Horny, cruel little monsters from what I remember.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
You want something actually gross from Gundam here ya go! One of the most hated series.

Victory Gundam hated????
You tripping, that shit was comedic gold
Also that scene is so fucking ridiculous it's hilarious, but Victory def has some "?????Why????" Shit that I'm suprised you didn't post instead like Lupe interrogating the young mc nude in a bathtub

NSFW

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018
qx7X9DQ.png

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
FWIW here's the next quote from that interview the OP didn't include:

"Why do they never go any further?" Tomino went on. "I want him to make a story where they aren't just satisfied with no physicality. Well, Shinkai is still a young director, so I suppose he can make films like that."

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Ask yourself why it needs to be in the episode in the first place.
If given the option; yeah. I'd rather it be presented differently. But to act like it's like some hugely messed up, sexual moment or something seems like a prudish reaction. Plenty of countries have public bath houses and spas where kids playing in the shower rooms is likely a pretty common site. Scene feels no different to that.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Fraw Bow had the 3 kids taking a shower. They're all naked, if I remember. Little boys point out little girl is flat chested and doesn't have boobs like Fraw Bow.
Honestly, that was all too common with anime at that time, and it wasn't seen as sexualization. Times have change, but baths themselves are still seen as family friendly with them showing up in family television and anime, but without the showing of sexual organs,.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Some sentiments I disagree with in this thread.

1. "And yet the boy's hand never reaches the girl's crotch." There's probably some pervy intent here, but the underlying point is still worthwhile. For almost everyone, there's more to a relationship than holding hands. Live action films cover a spectrum of interactions, so it's fair for anime to do it to. Not every film should do that, but some can.
2. Anime sexuality /=/ perviness. Or if it is, so is every live action film with sex. Anime can never advance as an art form if there's certain things that only live-action can do.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
FWIW here's the next quote from that interview the OP didn't include:
"Why do they never go any further?" Tomino went on. "I want him to make a story where they aren't just satisfied with no physicality. Well, Shinkai is still a young director, so I suppose he can make films like that."

This is a good point tho.

Shinkai romances are so shallow, but I suppose it's because the target audience are children and young teens.

Fuzzery

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it is a little bit weird that a lot of anime seems to paint any sort of sexual attraction or lust as bad (usually male lust), but Makoto Shinkai's works are totally fine the way that they are.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
If given the option; yeah. I'd rather it be presented differently. But to act like it's like some hugely messed up, sexual moment or something seems like a prudish reaction. Plenty of countries have public bath houses and spas where kids playing in the shower rooms is likely a pretty common site. Scene feels no different to that.
I'm prudish because I don't think an anime should talk about a 3 year old girls lack of breasts. Ok.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taki never even asked for Mitsuha's good luck charm, smh.

But yeah, that certainly sounds like crusty old Tomino.

Oct 27, 2017
Ask yourself why it needs to be in the episode in the first place.
ITT people don't realize nudity is seen differently in different countries. Japan has tons of bath houses where you'll just see naked people of all ages running and lounging around, whereas something like that would never be here. Its really not a big deal to them.

I'm prudish because I don't think an anime should talk about a 3 year old girls lack of breasts. Ok.
Yeah, you are. Did you also complain about the highly sexual situations in the Simpsons when you saw Bart's butt?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao

I don't agree with the wording but I sorta agree with the sentiment, I wish some anime didn't feel like it restrained itself with how it depicts romance.

A favorite recent example I was thinking about earlier today was Redline, and how despite JP and Sonoshee showing hints of interest in each other, I didn't expect the final shot to literally be a saucy love declaration. Felt refreshing, and even though it wasn't necessarily up front that that's where the movie was going to be heading, it was so overtly presented that I was both surprised and managed to end up reframing the entire movie as a bit of a love story.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
ITT people don't realize nudity is seen differently in different countries. Japan has tons of bath houses where you'll just see naked people of all ages running and lounging around, whereas something like that would never be here. Its really not a big deal to them.
Lad, I've seen many a naked person, it's part is my job. I tell you what I've never done. I've never commented on the junk of other men or the breasts of other women because that's just weird (and entirely unprofessional but that's beside the point). You seem to be insistent that I'm missing some cultural significance around bringing up a child's lack of puberty.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Is this some kind of mistranslation maybe.
I liked your name but it was kind of a weird movie for me, like the main characters act like they're forever 12 years old. I always just shrugged this off as some kind of animeism like the oblivious harem protagonist.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

Wait hold on. Is this about the kids teasing the little girl? I thought the problem was the nudity at all. Apologies for misunderstanding. Yeah, I'm not big on that part of the bit either.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Was he joking or....what? Maybe he metaphorically thinks he wants Shinkai to develop a relationship in film beyond just pining like his most popular stuff is? idk

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Shinkai can make what he wants, but tbh I do think the physical element of romance is a big part of things and it's nice when artists do explore that space. But please, not with kids mmkay. College students, adults, people in the 50s and 60s, whatever. Just avoid them kids aight