• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
lol @ everyone downplaying this because it's "just muscle memory/audio cues". Go ahead and do it yourselves. I'll wait here.

Mizavari

Jan 19, 2018
In one of his failed attempts, he called himself a... something, just because he missed a few notes. What does this make the rest of us? o.o

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
lol @ everyone downplaying this because it's "just muscle memory/audio cues". Go ahead and do it yourselves. I'll wait here.

The part being played down is the "blindfolded" part. Playing a song like that 100% is impressive. playing it blindfolded if you can already play it 100% isn't a huge step up in difficulty.

a performance for the ages

more seriously : i can't even follow easier songs on 'hard', so i can't even fathom how this is possible or how much time it takes to pull off

It takes a lot of time to do something like this since it's advanced. you will most likely have put in 10s maybe even close to a 100 Hours before you are ready to start learning something this hard

It is only like memorizing 3700 plus differing button combinations in perfect order and in perfect time. Anyone can do it with a few minutes of practice. Good ol muscle memory.

You don't remember that many button combinations though. You remember phrases (mostly by sound) and you learn them instinctively. Then you learn how they fit into each various part of the song. IE the chorus repeats the same sets of phrases each time. each verse is identical. So in reality it breaks down into roughly 6-8 sections that you learn individually. that each consist of a manageable number of phrases. (Intro, Verse, Pre Chorus, Chorus, Bridge, Solo) The Solo is the hardest part because it's the most unique section in the song.However otherwise its reasonably manageable when you compartmentalize it like that

Last edited:

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure how the program that makes the songs works, but not really. A guitar has close to 150 unique button press locations while the rockband guitar has 10. (not including the strum bar). In saying that playing rhythm games like Guitar Hero/Rockband does have some transferable skills. its great dexterity practice and the rhythm/timing aspects that come with listening and playing are the same.

Drums is probably pretty close to actually playing though. to actually play guitar I'd recomend Rocksmith. its pretty great

Game

I've not really played much guitar hero, but I do play a real guitar, and no, in my experience being able to play a song on a real instrument doesn't then transfer over to these games.

They try to be accurate with the notes in so far as they try to reflect what you can hear, but there's various techniques used while playing a guitar which aren't really replicated here.
That, and having six (or more in some cases) individual strings at different places on the neck, and utilising all the frets on a guitar has a very different feel to the buttons on these controllers.

Either way though, whether it's this game or a real guitar, being able to play this song is still very impressive.

Cool - Thanks for the answer

Personally i only played a couple games back then on GH3 i believe and for some reason i always felt dizzy just after 2-3 games on one of the low difficulties.
Actually felt the same watching that video lol
But i can definitely see this takes a crazy amount of skill and time investment to achieve that with this song and probably others.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7j15tXU.jpg

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
i ...can do it too !!

....With my eyes on easy difficulty. /s

Kudos to him , this song is more insane that it even looks

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
ah yes GH3, the best guitar hero by far. none come close to how perfect this game was. from the songs, to difficulty. everything afterwards was terrible.

edit: this is clone hero? wtf lol nice...an actual clone that plays well? unlike fof

I found out about Clone Hero just a few weeks ago myself, so I decided to buy myself a cheap Xplorer and have been playing for a few days now. The game is extremely well made, much better than FoF ever was. I haven't played GH/RB since around 2011, but it's so nice to be back again. I also like the custom charts people are making that adds the open notes for the guitar like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI-HfEF3P4I

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
That was damned impressive. I have a hard enough time on Normal.

I'm not sure how the program that makes the songs works, but not really. A guitar has close to 150 unique button press locations while the rockband guitar has 10. (not including the strum bar). In saying that playing rhythm games like Guitar Hero/Rockband does have some transferable skills. its great dexterity practice and the rhythm/timing aspects that come with listening and playing are the same.

Drums is probably pretty close to actually playing though. to actually play guitar I'd recomend Rocksmith. its pretty great

Yeah, agreed on all of this. Rocksmith 2014 is definitely a good tool. It's a bit weak on teaching proper technique, but it's excellent for dexterity and learning fretboard navigation. The riff repeater function also lets you pick out specific parts of a song to train on, and you can set the speed. Also there is a massive list of custom songs that people have made, and you can get those for free, so you're not limited to just the songs that come with the game or are DLC.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
How the actual fuck.

That's impressive. That is damn impressive.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
As someone who was always really bad at Guitar Hero, words fail me when watching vids like this. These people have superpowers

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
tbh this is really easy

maybe if he did it with no arms, deaf, blind, and didn't know when the song started id be impressed

just muscle memory

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Should have 100% in the title.
Perfecting a song in a rhythm game is a million times more impressive than just clearing it.

Eszik

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Do these games on that level actually reflect the placement of the notes?
So if that guy could play that song flawless on a real guitar could he pretty much transfer his muscle memory over to this game or are they not even close in reflecting the actual placement of the notes?
Guitar skills from GH aren't really transferable to real guitar. Drums charts are often very accurate though.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Definitely calling bullshit here. Have you even tried playing a guitar hero song blindfolded?

I've played guitar in a band setting. (We were shitty and its not about me) The fact is you don't get music when you are playing live. At most you get chord chart which doesn't help all that much and you barely look at it. Everything you play you need to have memorized. Its a completely natural behavior.

That song is incredibly hard and 100% completeing it is really impressive. However no one* can sight read at that speed. In order to 100% it you need to know the song off by heart.

C4lukin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tejas
The part being played down is the "blindfolded" part. Playing a song like that 100% is impressive. playing it blindfolded if you can already play it 100% isn't a huge step up in difficulty.

It takes a lot of time to do something like this since it's advanced. you will most likely have put in 10s maybe even close to a 100 Hours before you are ready to start learning something this hard

You don't remember that many button combinations though. You remember phrases (mostly by sound) and you learn them instinctively. Then you learn how they fit into each various part of the song. IE the chorus repeats the same sets of phrases each time. each verse is identical. So in reality it breaks down into roughly 6-8 sections that you learn individually. that each consist of a manageable number of phrases. (Intro, Verse, Pre Chorus, Chorus, Bridge, Solo) The Solo is the hardest part because it's the most unique section in the song.However otherwise its reasonably manageable when you compartmentalize it like that

You are still under minding it.

What you said, applies to a song that is repetitive and you can break down into small chunks.

Ok there is 3700 presses, but you only need to memorize 50 variations of 50 strikes to win.

But that particular song is not so simple.

You can memorize chunks of it, but it is all over the place. You can maybe break it up into a couple of hundred sequences, but that is still super impressive.

The fact that out of millions of players, only a few can do this.. it is impressive, and you cannot devalue it unless you can prove that it is easily repeatable.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
You are still under minding it.

What you said, applies to a song that is repetitive and you can break down into small chunks.

Ok there is 3700 presses, but you only need to memorize 50 variations of 50 strikes to win.

But that particular song is not so simple.

You can memorize chunks of it, but it is all over the place. You can maybe break it up into a couple of hundred sequences, but that is still super impressive.

The fact that out of millions of players, only a few can do this.. it is impressive, and you cannot devalue it unless you can prove that it is easily repeatable.

You seem to have missred my post. Here is the dot point version.

• The first point i litterally said that being able to play a song that hard is impressive. I am not undermining that at all.
  • My main contention is that playing the song blindfolded is not really any different to playing when you can see the notes. Playing songs without music is relitively standard fare for almost any musician. (Although most are simple and most will never learn anything that hard)
  • My final point was just to explain the process on how you comitt a song to memory. I was trying to say how it was done, in a simple way to encourage another poster.
  • Essentially i was trying to say that if this was a speech with 3000+ characters you wouldn't learn it letter by letter. You would learn words, phrases, sentences and paragraphs.
Again i will say. Being able to play that song 100% is very impressive and i am not trying to diminish that achievement.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
To people asking if someone could play the song in real guitar with type of muscular memory, no, he couldn't. It's another step of added difficulty.

Now, Pro Drums is pretty fucking close. It made me buy a real eletronic drum kit and my friends were impressed with my skill from just playing Rock Band.

My Rock Band 2 Drums broke and it's hard to find them in Brazil. I need to change my kit and buy the adapter to play again.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017

That song is incredibly hard and 100% completeing it is really impressive. However no one* can sight read at that speed. In order to 100% it you need to know the song off by heart.

As someone who's played a fair share of rhythm games (although not Guitar Hero specifically), I really don't think this is true at all. While memorization does help, you really can't say that memorizing the entire song is the only way to full combo it, and you especially can't say that sight reading something like this isn't possible (because it 100% is. Guitar Hero isn't even as fast as something like Beatmania, and people can sight read that just fine.)

If you told me that I could do a full combo play in a rhythm game that took me about 2 year of practice (about 300 hours) could just as easily have been done blindfolded, you'd be 100% wrong. Like, I don't even think I could even last 10 seconds before failing that same song blindfolded.

And from my experience, the best way to actually get better at full combing a song isn't to just repeat it until you memorize it. It's to go and play harder songs you can barely clear, then come back later after your skills have improved. That is to say, memorizing songs is basically a waste of time, relatively speaking.

For a less personal approach, you can just look at something like osu that has a specific difficulty modifier that increases your score while hiding notes. And nobody uses it, despite it being a game where like 90% of the community is completely, utterly obsessed with high scores. If there really was no difference, everyone would be using it for free points. And yet they don't.

I mean, I don't think this play is particularly impressive compared to some I've seen, but that's more because there so much more to rhythm games than memorization that this doesn't showcase at all, because it focuses so much in pure memorization. Mind you, it still is impressive.

Last edited:

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I was going to say this.

This really goes for anything that has alot to do with muscle memory. In order to do a song like this, you pretty much have to make it muscle memory. And at that point, you can almost do it unconsciously. Do it enough and yeah, you can do it blindfolded.

Tough combos in fighting games are also like this. There's alot of spacing and quick inputs, buffering, microdashes, ect ect. But by the time you're good enough to consistently do it, doing it without looking at the screen isn't that surprising. You probably wouldn't even have to practice doing it.

Him being able to actually 100% the song is about 98% of the amazingness. Him doing it blindfolded is a drop in the bucket compared to actually being able to do it in the first place.

SausagePiano

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Jan 18, 2018
What will the next step be? Pushing the controller with your tongue blindfolded no sound?

Boney

Oct 28, 2017
Santiago
Clearing the song 100% is really impressive. But doing it blind folded doesn't really add much to the challenge.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Do these games on that level actually reflect the placement of the notes?
So if that guy could play that song flawless on a real guitar could he pretty much transfer his muscle memory over to this game or are they not even close in reflecting the actual placement of the notes?

As someone who was a bit of a teenage shredder, I can say categorically, that, no, it really doesn't stack up. The simple act of even fretting on a guitar (ie, pressing a button) is considerably more tricky. Hammer ons, pull offs and tapping runs are also more far more difficult, requiring precise velocity and technique. And there's the reality that you have do all that without hitting the strings above or below and causing noise - it all has to flow smoothly. That's just the basics - it's tougher still on the right hand here as you've got to jump between six different strings rather than a single paddle and Dragonforce are not only using basic things like palm muting to get the dull chugging sound and alternate picking - they're also using some very advanced techniques like hybrid and sweep picking to get the fast runs, pinched harmonics all over the shop and a whole bunch of whammy bar pulls (which, unlike Guitar Hero, if you do them wrong, will knock the whole guitar out of tune).

TL;DR, the left-hand finger coordination and rhythm will transfer, but pretty much nothing else will.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Randy is pretty darn good. He also did TTFAF at 175% speed and got 96% because he could.

IIRC he also currently holds the WR for one of the hardest custom charts ever designed.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, now do it with the Pro Controller or an actual MIDI guitar on Rock Band 3. I can't even find anyone doing it on Youtube. At that point you're playing the entire damn song and I'm pretty sure even the original guitarist makes the occasional mistakes.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for 2021 when the first person completes Through The Fire and The Flames while having a stroke. Records are meant to be broken.

Oct 25, 2017
Really nice stuff - I get stuck on any really fast hit changes, which basically kills any high level expert songs for me - I do play Taiko way more however, I bet I could do Op 10 No 4 blindfolded on hard...