• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
forums.macrumors.com

iPhone 12 5.4” Size Comparison

OK... I got fed up of waiting and trawling through YouTube videos to freeze frame and squint at the size comparisons, so I jumped on taobao and bought my own 5.4” dummy model. Attached are some images to help people compare them a bit more comprehensively. Quick takeaway is, it’s ~6mm wider...

From handling it I can say it does feel like a bit more of a stretch than the SE, which just nestles very comfortably in my hand. BUT, although it's nearer to the 7, I will note that it feels a lot more manageable because the square profile and flat side lets you actually grip the device.

Overall, I think I can get used to it and finally retire my stalwart SE.

7bef5723-1172-4254-9385-93b2b1e540aa-jpeg.930469

b424fbd5-656a-4924-91ea-324b5e9d1e5b-jpeg.930473

More images at the source.

IT'S PERFECT.

People are afraid of battery life but I think it will be fine assuming it's the same resolution as the Xr/11 and powering a smaller display size.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
The 5.4" is very tempting. Need to see if the Pro models have a 120hz screen though.

OP
OP
Joule

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Assuming this is accurate iPhone 12 5.4" dimensions appear to be

~ 130.8 x 64.6 x thickness mm

Fucking amazing.

Here's an old mock up from a macrumors poster when Kuo said a 5.4" was coming for the first time. I wonder how it'll compare to the final product

iPhone 7 and iPhone SE dimensions

Apple iPhone 7 vs Apple iPhone SE - specs comparison

Compare Apple iPhone 7 vs Apple iPhone SE with our phone comparison tool and get side-by-side specifications.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well this seems to be my next phone!
Would love it to have usb-c, but sadly all rumours say it is not having it.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Normally I always go Pro model but I'm going to need to see some sick pro features to turn this down this year....

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Have mercy on me, the 12 is genuinely the first phone I've been excited for since the X. The Pro Max size is gonna be saucy.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Been struggling on with my iPhone 6. If the price isn't too crazy, this is the one. Else, I'll just get the SE.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any proof to these being the design or is your typical "I 3d printed what I _think_ the iPhone will be"?

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any proof to these being the design or is your typical "I 3d printed what I _think_ the iPhone will be"?
The rumours that there will be 5.4 / 6.1 / 6.7 as the sizes seem pretty reliable at this point. From numerous good sources. The mix of the devices is unknown though as far as I know.

For example this 5.4 inch phone could be the pro model. 5.4/6.7 for pro/pro max. And 6.1 inch for "cheaper" model.

Or maybe it's 6.1/6.7 for pro, and 5.4 is the cheaper one. Not sure if that part of it is as reliable yet. The current thinking is 5.4 is the cheaper model though. 6.1 inch is the bigger cheaper model. Then 6.1 for pro and 6.7 for pro max.

Oct 25, 2017
The rumours that there will be 5.4 / 6.1 / 6.7 as the sizes seem pretty reliable at this point. From numerous good sources. The mix of the devices is unknown though as far as I know.

For example this 5.4 inch phone could be the pro model. 5.4/6.7 for pro/pro max. And 6.1 inch for "cheaper" model.

Or maybe it's 6.1/6.7 for pro, and 5.4 is the cheaper one. Not sure if that part of it is as reliable yet. The current thinking is 5.4 is the cheaper model though. 6.1 inch is the bigger cheaper model. Then 6.1 for pro and 6.7 for pro max.

Thanks. I haven't been keeping up with tech news nearly as much and the last rumor I saw was "iPhone could adopt iPad Pro like design". So I wasn't sure if more concrete stuff surfaced to allow these mocks to work from or if it's just speculation. I'm still going to reserve expectations but if they do pull off a modern 4/5 design I'll be excited.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Currently have an 11 Pro and it's just too big for me. I would LOVE if they brought back the smaller profile, I really hope this is real.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I haven't been keeping up with tech news nearly as much and the last rumor I saw was "iPhone could adopt iPad Pro like design". So I wasn't sure if more concrete stuff surfaced to allow these mocks to work from or if it's just speculation. I'm still going to reserve expectations but if they do pull off a modern 4/5 design I'll be excited.
Yeah what seems concrete at this point is the 3 new sizes, 4 new iPhones total, iPad Pro like design, 5G on all models (but mmwave possibly only on pro), and potential the cheaper ones getting OLED as well.

I'd say those are the strongest rumours known today.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The size is honestly perfect. If this had the 12 Pro specs (5G sub 6Ghz and mmWave, LiDAR, 120hz, etc) in this form factor, this would without a doubt be the phone to get!

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
5.4" screen size is still too big for true one handed use. Doing that upward swipe from the bottom of the screen plus hitting the top right corner for control center is a special kind of ergonomic hell that Apple has forced on users.