• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
It's definitely a bit weird, and does cheapen the stories he's involved in if they're going to all be key events in the setting, especially ones from the books.
But at the same time, it also makes some degree of sense. If Gaunter has been a character in CDPR's Witcher universe seemingly for all time, based on Heart of Stone and an easter egg in Thronebreaker, then there should be a lot more that he's had his hand in, and that does sound like a good idea for an expansion. And it definitely wouldn't be as interesting if they elaborated on events we haven't heard of before.

Gaunter is such a popular character that I think doing all new events he was involved in would still interest people, and they could use the reward book nodes to flesh it out. Olgierd and Iris were new to us, and their story was interesting to discover. Same with the spoon wight in Blood and Wine.

I don't think he needs retroactively inserting into previous events. Usurper's actions are how Emhyr ends up in Cintra, marries Pavetta (and together they have Ciri), he meets Geralt there and Geralt invokes the Law of Surprise. Usurper's actions lead to the foundation for the entire series and now suddenly we are told Gaunter was the instigator for it all. Feels cheap.

And I dread to think which other stories they are going to insert Gaunter into. Wild Hunt has been teased, so if it's Eredin for Monsters well that's going to be just as bad.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Too late, but is there still a way to copy my Gwent console progress to a new GOG account?

I totally missed that 6 month window...

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really enjoying my time with the new Wild Hunt. Really liking this expansion and especially loving veil

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've been enjoying the game, using the default Northern Kingdoms deck. Not sure if I am doing things right in the rewards department. I am just picking things at random.

Is there a way to check your all time wins/losses? I feel like I've won just about as many times as I've lost. I never redraw cards, I just go for it.

Edit: I also don't understand some of these mechanics. One opponent was able to play numerous cards in a row - a few cards each round for something like three rounds in a row, while it kept making me pass even though I had five or six cards left to play. He just burned through those several plays throwing out a few cards at a time while I just had to sit and watch my huge lead dwindle down, unable to do nothing about it. It was weird.

Edit 2: I don't understand why there's a huge bonus to go first. The card that boosts an ally by 5, just because one won a dice roll. I've had about ten opponents immediately quit when they didn't get to go first and I don't blame them.

Edit 3: Man it is really, really slow. Even with the options to reduce time like not having to see every card they play for several seconds, it is excruciating. It takes me about ten seconds to figure out what to play, especially when we're in the final round. But I end up waiting until the timer almost expires for the opponent to finish their decisions. Even when I'm beating the pants off them. I wish CDPR would reduce the timer to something like 15 seconds.

Last edited:

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I've been enjoying the game, using the default Northern Kingdoms deck. Not sure if I am doing things right in the rewards department. I am just picking things at random.

Is there a way to check your all time wins/losses? I feel like I've won just about as many times as I've lost. I never redraw cards, I just go for it.

Edit: I also don't understand some of these mechanics. One opponent was able to play numerous cards in a row - a few cards each round for something like three rounds in a row, while it kept making me pass even though I had five or six cards left to play. He just burned through those several plays throwing out a few cards at a time while I just had to sit and watch my huge lead dwindle down, unable to do nothing about it. It was weird.

Edit 2: I don't understand why there's a huge bonus to go first. The card that boosts an ally by 5, just because one won a dice roll. I've had about ten opponents immediately quit when they didn't get to go first and I don't blame them.

Edit 3: Man it is really, really slow. Even with the options to reduce time like not having to see every card they play for several seconds, it is excruciating. It takes me about ten seconds to figure out what to play, especially when we're in the final round. But I end up waiting until the timer almost expires for the opponent to finish their decisions. Even when I'm beating the pants off them. I wish CDPR would reduce the timer to something like 15 seconds.

For Edit1: There are cards that fetches other cards and play them. Those are usually gold and rare. If the opponent passes, you can still play cards, but be very careful. Never go more than one card down (see below).

Edit2: Going first is nearly an automatic loss in this game (or at least, it used to be). The bonus of getting 5 points is not really enough to compensate the importance of card advantage (and going first is losing that card advantage). In my experience it is very common that new players thinks that going first is an advantage, and anecdotally it is a sign that they don't understand card advantage and last say. Use cards like Geralt of Rivia and Scorch, if you have them, to practice these concepts. Understanding and using CA is absolutely crucial to Gwent.

Here is an example: Opponent is monster and will finish with a very big unit. You have Geralt in hand (kills a very big unit).
If you have card advantage, he has to play his large unit on his last turn and you can kill it with Geralt, your last card.
If they have card advantage, you have to play your last card, Geralt, BEFORE they put their big unit down. Thus Geralt is worthless and the big unit survives. Losing CA is losing the game.

Edit3: Early game Gwent is torture because it is slow. Especially if you play ranked. Playing casual on the other hand, will match with people with very strong decks so it is lose/lose no matter what.
On the other hand, pro players often run out of time, so it's not really like they can shorten it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
For Edit1: There are cards that fetches other cards and play them. Those are usually gold and rare. If the opponent passes, you can still play cards, but be very careful. Never go more than one card down (see below).

Edit2: Going first is nearly an automatic loss in this game (or at least, it used to be). The bonus of getting 5 points is not really enough to compensate the importance of card advantage (and going first is losing that card advantage). In my experience it is very common that new players thinks that going first is an advantage, and anecdotally it is a sign that they don't understand card advantage and last say. Use cards like Geralt of Rivia and Scorch, if you have them, to practice these concepts. Understanding and using CA is absolutely crucial to Gwent.

Here is an example: Opponent is monster and will finish with a very big unit. You have Geralt in hand (kills a very big unit).
If you have card advantage, he has to play his large unit on his last turn and you can kill it with Geralt, your last card.
If they have card advantage, you have to play your last card, Geralt, BEFORE they put their big unit down. Thus Geralt is worthless and the big unit survives. Losing CA is losing the game.

Edit3: Early game Gwent is torture because it is slow. Especially if you play ranked. Playing casual on the other hand, will match with people with very strong decks so it is lose/lose no matter what.
On the other hand, pro players often run out of time, so it's not really like they can shorten it.

Ok thanks for the advice. I have only been playing ranked, so I guess that's why the matches are so slow.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Ok thanks for the advice. I have only been playing ranked, so I guess that's why the matches are so slow.
Things will pick up if you keep playing ranked. Eventually players will start to recognize when they are about to lose and quit early (same for you). You and the other player won't have to read their cards every time which will also speed things up. Just be patient, it is a pretty good game once you get into it. It is a bit punishing for new players though.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So playing some more, I am pretty sure people are cheating.

I just ended a match where the person kept losing connection, and whenever the match rejoined us all of his cards had more points than before. I am talking like jumping from 11 total points to 22, then 22 to 38. In ten seconds. No new cards, the same ones, they just suddenly had new values. It was pretty ridiculous.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
If they felt 4 expansions was too much for them I'd like to see them try 3 expansions next year. 2 is just not enough, especially when the expansions are so small and therefore meta is solved so quickly.

Basically, I'm bored with the game.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
If they felt 4 expansions was too much for them I'd like to see them try 3 expansions next year. 2 is just not enough, especially when the expansions are so small and therefore meta is solved so quickly.

Basically, I'm bored with the game.

Best thing you can do is just play a lot less. I've been playing since kill the servers test beta. So day 1. I took a few months off earlier this year, and then journey + steam release pulled me back in. Even though I didn't really want too lol. Then I got burned out grinding the journey (I got it late) and stopped playing again. Told myself to only get the next journey if it's cool. And I really like it. Grinded it a bit at the start because of the seasonal speedrun mode. But now I'm like almost level 80 in the journey and only doing the weekly quests.

And that actually makes me want to play again. But I'm sticking to the weekly or if I'm really in the mood. I stopped playing ranked hardcore too and trust me. You'll feel a lot better once you quit the grind.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Been having fun with draft, mostly because it's fun and you just draft broken and silly decks. Not sure if I will enjoy it as much once they start ironing it out into a better working mode, the chaos is the appeal at the moment.

Also apparently CDPR left around 60 art previews in the game files for the next expansion. The theme is very heavy on witchers and mutants - I guess it ties into the Alzur journey since he is responsible for creating them. Hopefully they start revealing information about it soon.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Yeah, I usually only pop in these days to play for the Journey, but I really don't want to spend an hour on five seasonal matches.

Some nice rewards this time around.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Wanted to bump this and ask are there any youtube channels/sstreamers where I can see players playing gwent against each other? preferably with commentary ... I've only come across one and found it really enjoyable listening to the commentary and seeing the streamer play gwent against another person.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to bump this and ask are there any youtube channels/sstreamers where I can see players playing gwent against each other? preferably with commentary ... I've only come across one and found it really enjoyable listening to the commentary and seeing the streamer play gwent against another person.

Well, World Masters finals are coming up in few minutes after this post, if you want to watch with some commentary.

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.