Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
When I load the game on Steam Deck it just hangs on the 'Downloading Content' screen where it says the recommended control scheme.

Been at 0% for 10 minutes now. I've restarted the console twice and its same every time.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
It really does strike a great balance between feeling entirely like Hades, but also feeling fresh. Melinoe's kit feels completely different.

My man Skelly really had a glow up

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
When I load the game on Steam Deck it just hangs on the 'Downloading Content' screen where it says the recommended control scheme.

Been at 0% for 10 minutes now. I've restarted the console twice and its same every time.
You on the beta or experimental channel? I'm on stable and it loaded right up, first thing. Surprising how fast the load times are actually!

Last edited:

MANTRA

Feb 21, 2024
To those who have sunk some proper time in, is there a considerable amount of game at this time or not much? Wondering if its worth just waiting.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
To those who have sunk some proper time in, is there a considerable amount of game at this time or not much? Wondering if its worth just waiting.

The talk seems to be that the size of the game right now in early access is comparable to Hades as a full game. Here's how Supergiant tells it:

Supergiant said:
Hades II in Early Access already has more environments, foes, and fully-voiced characters than the full version of the original Hades game. But it isn't complete, and key areas, characters, foes, narrative events, and systems are still to come.

We have been actively working on the game for more than three years already. For our Early Access launch, we wanted Hades II to be far enough along that as many players as possible could have a good experience right away, yet not far enough along that it's too late in development for us to act on the feedback we receive.

You may reach certain points in the game where it becomes clear that you've reached the end of the current content. Furthermore, various interface screens, HUD icons, and character art are still temporary or work-in-progress, along with various other aspects of the presentation.

MANTRA

Feb 21, 2024
lol what? similar in content to the first already? my body is ready, guess im checking it out

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Made it to floor 3. Yeah it's wild how much content is in here already, was not expecting that.

Dec 11, 2017
I'm tempted to grab this and support Supergiant all the way through, but I guess I'm wondering about content. It seems like you could at least finish it a couple of times content-wise, but not ever see the final ending? If I can complete a run now with some story beats hit that'd be fine by me.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to grab this and support Supergiant all the way through, but I guess I'm wondering about content. It seems like you could at least finish it a couple of times content-wise, but not ever see the final ending? If I can complete a run now with some story beats hit that'd be fine by me.
I think you'll be really happy with it, even at this stage. And the callbacks to the first game are awesome so far.

mike_j1005

Nov 19, 2017
Minnesota
Been playing for an hour or so, happy to report that on the Steam Deck OLED it seems to hold 90 fps pretty well (at least in the early areas). Combat changes seem cool!

Dora is a TAD annoying, but at least not nearly as annoying as Dusa in Hades 1 🤪

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
but at least not nearly as annoying as Dusa in Hades 1 🤪

how-dare-you-james-franco.gif

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
The second world (mid?)boss is fucking amazing lol. Huge smile on my face as I got my shit rocked.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I want right trigger on Steam Deck for my dash. I change it, and make Gift, Alter, and another function the A button.
Everything seems fine but when I get a boon or something in game on a menu, I can't use A to confirm my selection.
Anyone know what's up?
(And it's not Right Trigger (or anything else) either.)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I want right trigger on Steam Deck for my dash. I change it, and make Gift, Alter, and another function the A button.
Everything seems fine but when I get a boon or something in game on a menu, I can't use A to confirm my selection.
Anyone know what's up?
(And it's not Right Trigger (or anything else) either.)
Haven't tried remapping myself, but probably just a bug. I'm sure there's a way to report it. :)

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Similar amount of content in what sense? Hades 1 had all those heat level modifiers, I've not seen that mentioned here yet

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay wise, enjoying the loop and shifts in emphasis - got to, but have yet to beat, the second boss

But looking at it from the mythological analysis angle, hoo boy does this take some more notable swings than the first game. It's... interesting, how much it indulges in pop cultural and aesthetic vibes, particularly as a primary base to a character, where it feels like the first game more often used those to flavour something that vaguely resembled the archetypal figure (he says, knowing Dusa is right there). Especially flagrant with all the 'witch' imagery with roots rarely deeper than the early modern period

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
This makes me want to upgrade to the Steam Deck OLED.

This makes me want to buy a Steam Deck, lol.

Could Switch run this? I guess it's probably not THAT intensive, but it does look better than the original and there's a lot of effects going on. Playing this handheld would be awesome, and I really don't want to wait for a Switch/ Switch 2 version. Which I guess wouldn't happen until this is out of Early Access anyway.

Mild spoilers for the first boss:
Is it impossible to dodge the stupid sheep transformation attack? That thing is so annoying. I wish dodging it at least reduced the time you stay a sheep. Like once the boss casts it, it's effects lasts for ten seconds, or something like that. And if you dodge it for five second before it hits you, you stay a sheep for five seconds. Let it hit you immediately and you're a sheep for the full ten seconds, etc etc

I'm liking it quite a bit so far. I haven't unlocked any new weapons, though I have enough materials to when I finish my current run. I'm already found some really fun combos that feels busted, though I haven't gotten very far, I very nearly killed the second boss but didn't quite get there, and that's as far as I've been.

Curious how people are finding the balance so far. Like I said, I'm super early, but so far focusing on Cast feels way more powerful to me than focusing on Attack or Special. I've had a couple runs where I get DOT effects on my Cast that do a TON of work. My favorite so far was I had the Zeus Cast, which deals ridiculous DOT if you charge it, then I got a power from I think from Hestia that lets you throw your cast from a distance, and then I already forget what was allowing me to do it but I also had passive magic recharging.

I'm surprised how many effects there are that passively refill magic, I feel like I almost never have to worry about it. Feels like it should be more a strategic decision, but so far it feels like you can count on being able to repeatedly refill your meter pretty easily if you want to.

wait is this a real thing??

Yeah, I won't spoil too much but there's some pretty funny "press RB to interact" options. Another I like a lot is "Confide."

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
So been playing for almost 6 hours (lol) and I really love it, I've beaten the 2 boss but oh boy this game is hard or at least is hard when blessings are common and not rare or epic.
Poseidon has one blessing that when you attack it spawns blue balls that give you mana and that blessing is the most OP thing ever, you can spawn mana attacks without even having to worry about mana. My guess is that is going to be nerfed because it simplifies a lot the mana system.

I quite miss double dash, or at least I haven't seen a blessing or upgrade that let you double dash, but I understand them wanting to balanced around a single dash.

This play very differently than Hades 1 but I love it, the time stopping when you are using spells is OP so you can play around that a lot to burst enemies or dodge things. But I am not a fan of some new Gods blessings, I miss some from Hades 1.

Overall what I expected and more because I expected at first to be like Hades 1 in the combat department but is quite different and for the better

Is it impossible to dodge the stupid sheep transformation attack? That thing is so annoying. I wish dodging it at least reduced the time you stay a sheep. Like once the boss casts it, it's effects lasts for ten seconds, or something like that. And if you dodge it for five second before it hits you, you stay a sheep for five seconds. Let it hit you immediately and you're a sheep for the full ten seconds, etc etc

I've managed to dodge just running around and dashing but It is really hard

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man had no idea this was about to hit early access. Hades 1 is probably my favorite 'rogue' style game (not a genre I've gotten into much before), though even still, once I got my first clear I was completely done with it.

Interested in the second game because I enjoyed the first one and the new protagonist seems cool, but maybe better for me to wait for the full release, especially if I only do one complete run again. But maybe I'll get tempted to play sooner, who knows. Sounds like the save will perhaps carry over, which definitely tempts me a bit more lol.

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022

I've managed to dodge just running around and dashing but It is really hard

The answer to that is to

dash through it.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never bought an early access game. Can someone give me an easy run down what to expect? Does the game just end at some point since it's not finished?

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Man had no idea this was about to hit early access. Hades 1 is probably my favorite 'rogue' style game (not a genre I've gotten into much before), though even still, once I got my first clear I was completely done with it.

Interested in the second game because I enjoyed the first one and the new protagonist seems cool, but maybe better for me to wait for the full release, especially if I only do one complete run again. But maybe I'll get tempted to play sooner, who knows. Sounds like the save will perhaps carry over, which definitely tempts me a bit more lol.
I'd at the very least watch the ending and credits of Hades I and learn how deep it gets with the weapon aspects and boon combinations.

1 clear is basically the game's cold open. Like playing Pokemon Gold and stopping after the league.

I've never bought an early access game. Can someone give me an easy run down what to expect? Does the game just end at some point since it's not finished?
There's currently more in this Early Access than there was at Hades 1.0. The "cutoff" point is when you clear the game, the narrative doesn't really continue off of that, but you can keep replaying, upgrading and doing the side stories that are there.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Played this waaaaay longer than I expected tonight, but glad we're back in the groove! Demeter Axe with some nice Chaos shenanigans carried me to Boss 2, but we'll figure some good stuff out later. Looking forward to what gameplay changes await!

Death to Chronos! 🫡

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I only just started playing but that title screen theme is electronicy! If that carries across the other songs, oh my god I am going to love this soundtrack.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Second boss already beats any from Hades 1 besides Hades? very sick music/fight.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
There's currently more in this Early Access than there was at Hades 1.0. The "cutoff" point is when you clear the game, the narrative doesn't really continue off of that, but you can keep replaying, upgrading and doing the side stories that are there.
I've also never done an EA game. Basically what you're saying is that I can do the EA and essentially get the whole story? I was reading an article from someone who played the first game EA and then didn't feel compelled to go back to experience the full release. I'm not the biggest rougelike guy so I don't think I'd go back either but if I can basically do the whole story now...

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
I've also never done an EA game. Basically what you're saying is that I can do the EA and essentially get the whole story? I was reading an article from someone who played the first game EA and then didn't feel compelled to go back to experience the full release. I'm not the biggest rougelike guy so I don't think I'd go back either but if I can basically do the whole story now...
No. You can clear the game, but you're not getting the whole story which usually requires multiple completions. You'd be clearing for fun and you'll be getting story and sides stories along the way.

But likes Hades 1, you'd just clear it and then get sent back for reasons.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
No. You can clear the game, but you're not getting the whole story which usually requires multiple completions. You'd be clearing for fun and you'll be getting story and sides stories along the way.

But likes Hades 1, you'd just clear it and then get sent back for reasons.
Got it. I never actually bothered to complete Hades I either but still had a good time with it

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for the second boss fight? Getting there after 3 attempts but feel like I could be doing it better strategically.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Not 100% sold on Mel's dash changes from Zagreus - in theory it should work essentially the same (with the 'stamina' aspect making it so you can't just spam dash forever like on certain Zag builds), but the lack of double/triple-dashing away from AoE enemy moves more often than not has led me to taking hits.

Relatedly, the 'dash'-associated boons suddenly losing steam also feels kinda iffy.

Otherwise, I really do like the emphasis on the 'witch'/magic aspect with the cast being an AoE circle - feels like that'll be way easier to stack blessings on (I already found a combo that grants me infinite mana while standing in the circle, and the circle moving 'with me' as I run).

The witch staff and rogue daggers both seem pretty potent - got a blessing pair from Aphrodite for the daggers that stacked the cast into a 360 cone + more damage via proximity, which could nuke a whole pack of adds.

Hephestaeus giving you weapon-based abilities on top of the daedelus hammer is also pretty nifty.

Meanwhile, I'm also not 100% sold on the 'can only pick one' farming/utility item (though maybe you can eventually overpower that limitation?) - makes 'missing' a certain item just because you don't have it, feels kinda bad, to the point I'm not sure why you'd pick anything other than the pickaxe until you have all the silver upgrades unlocked (barring maybe one run to unlock seeds or some green-juice for your max tarot card rank)

Also not sold on the new 'once per boss' nuke attack - both times I've tried the 'delayed blast' ability, it seemed like basically nothing happened.

Need to play around some more with the cast ostensibly 'trapping' enemies (but not always? not sure if it's a shield thing), and/or getting better at using Mel's dash to run through enemy projectiles (it also feels inconsistent)

Made it to the either the midboss, (or maybe the boss-boss?) of the ocean area (The Uh-Oh Rat ), and got smacked around by all the aoe spam, lol.

Charon's new mechanic with getting occasional freebies for spending lots at his shop is also pretty good way to help avoid getting 'stuck' quite as often.

Definitely seems like it'll be easier to unlock all the tarot cards MUCH more quickly than the mirror, unless there's more to it than what is initially shown.

All in all, definitely glad to be back!