Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
After another world 2 run (succeeded, mind)....absolutely way too much aoe spam that you just can't outrun, due to Mel's longer dash cooldown.

Also boss attacks overlapping/being 'hidden' by the different 'parts' of the boss itself - I dodged one aoe ground attack, only to get hit from an energy ball 'hidden' behind the main boss aspect's body.

Makes the fight just not fun to have to micromanage/juggle, on top of everything else, even if the concept is super cool.

Koyaannis

May 5, 2021
Yes - the 'muscular' ghost's basic attack, for some reason, even hits BEHIND him unless you're perfectly at his back, and the 'shrieker' run-up-to-your-face (again, when combined with Mel's worse dash) is quite tricky to get away from, especially if it has armor and you don't have an easy way to stun it.
Shriekers must be stopped with the cast. It makes them so easy to dispatch. Even more with boon-powered cast.

I feel like the game balance the slower pace with better crowd control options. The cast counter quite a lot of fast pacing monsters.

I agree with the harder to manage aoe. This part doesn't click with me yet.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I completely forgot to get Skelly's keepsake now that I'm thinking about it. I'm assuming it's the super useful one from the first game again? I've been using the Onion.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Hades 2 just crossed over 100,000 concurrent players.
Pretty wild considering that all time high of first Hades on Steam has been 37,586.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Might depend on play style. I find the staff to be the best. Casts are must, especially when you get a boon on them.

It's the specials I find ignorable mostly because they're overshadowed by omega attacks.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. Casts can get very powerful very quickly if you stack a few boons on them. And yeah, I haven't been overly impressed by specials either.

I completely forgot to get Skelly's keepsake now that I'm thinking about it. I'm assuming it's the super useful one from the first game again? I've been using the Onion.

It's similar, but actually improved!

Hades 2 just crossed over 100,000 concurrent players.
Pretty wild considering that all time high of first Hades on Steam has been 37,586.

That's hard to believe. Not actually doubting it, I'm sure it's true. But how are there that many people interested in 2 who never grabbed 1 on sale or whatever?

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I got the 2nd tier boss. I loooooooove the bombastic characterizations in this one. I hope all bosses are this unique.

Like, don't get me wrong, Bone Hydra was cool, but the 2nd tier boss was just "ok this is sick".

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I totally agree with this. Casts can get very powerful very quickly if you stack a few boons on them. And yeah, I haven't been overly impressed by specials either.
Some specials get amazing with the right hammer upgrade. The knives one that has them come back to you and deal backstab damage had me barely using the actual attack during that run.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Does everyone

get a 'boon' from Eris

When you reach the second zone, or was that a one off?
I did 4 runs when i played yesterday, 3 of which I got to the second area, and the first two times I got to the second area Eris was there to debuff me. So definitely isn't all the time but it's not a one off either.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Some specials get amazing with the right hammer upgrade. The knives one that has them come back to you and deal backstab damage had me barely using the actual attack during that run.

For sure. I was just saying generally speaking. If I don't already have a Hammer upgrade, or I'm going all-in on my special from the beginning of a run for some reason, I'm generally not gravitating toward special boons.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Beat the first boss and got to the 2nd. The design of the 2nd is fun, not sure out of the first two weapons I prefer though leaning staff as better magic attacks.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the 'final' boss hits like a fucking truck - am actually considering picking up some defensive blessings, especially if running with the daggers.

That's hard to believe. Not actually doubting it, I'm sure it's true. But how are there that many people interested in 2 who never grabbed 1 on sale or whatever?

There's 102k in-game right now, according to the community hub.

IMO releasing the first on EGS-only for however long it was did cut the steam 'peak' a bit, certainly.

Shriekers must be stopped with the cast. It makes them so easy to dispatch. Even more with boon-powered cast.

I feel like the game balance the slower pace with better crowd control options. The cast counter quite a lot of fast pacing monsters.

Yeah, I get that you're supposed to use cast, but it 'actually' fully immobilizing enemies seems somewhat...inconsistent.

I'm not sure if it's not effective against armor, or you have to 'time' the circle opening up right, but sometimes it feels like enemies don't get 'stopped' 100% of the time.

I agree with the harder to manage aoe. This part doesn't click with me yet.

The second boss, and even some of the minibosses, have absolutely insane aoe spam.

Which, when combined with their 'massive' shields (looking at you, mini-hydra sub-boss on world 2, and darkness mini-boss on world 1, or the witch with massive aoe machine-gun-spam on world 1), makes navigating the fight just turn into a chore/time-consuming/minimizing hits taken while plunking away at the massive armor bar.

Am I missing something with the torches? That weapon seems absolutely terrible

It SEEMS like it should be a magic/omega-special primary weapon...but I agree in that it's real bad.

The other weapons could use some tinkering, but that's by far the worst out of the ones I currently have - don't have any bronze for unlocking the (final?) weapon, I assume it's from going up to the surface world.

Last edited:

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I shouldn't really buy this but hearing how much content it has + i'm sad means I might just have to

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Am I missing something with the torches? That weapon seems absolutely terrible

Yeah, it's a very weird weapon too, like even if they buffed the damage a ton it just doesn't feel fun to use.

I've only done two runs so I haven't actually accomplished this, but it FEELS to me like the best thing to do would be to go all-in on its special, try to find a way to replenish magic, and then constantly have the omega special active.

The attack just feels really, really bad.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Put a few more hours in and have reached the 4th biome multiple times now, really liking what I'm playing.

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Got through my meeting and now I can take my Hades break for the next hour.

I like most of what I played, it's just a matter of figuring out what's me and what seems to be the game. I don't think the first two bosses are spongy, I just think they're slower fights compared to the ones of Hades 1 where you could just pile on damage.

The only thing I'm mixed on so far is Area 3 and how it gives out boons. It's certainly different, but I'm not sure if I like playing it.

I love my Daedalus Hammers. Right now, for me, it's about getting comfortable with the right boons and finding the right symmetry. It took a minute, but I was able to get there with the staff.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States

LxPz_P.gif

Just play it on repeat all day, thanks.

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
It's early days so it doesn't bug me too much, but I have to agree that some enemies and bosses have way too much health. The third area boss in particular took FOREVER for me to down. The others I think are mostly OK, and would only need slightly less.

I miss Zag's zippy dash, but honestly once I got used to it I'm really enjoying how different Mel feels? I need to remove the card that slows time while you charge though, I needed it at first to get used to the Omega moves, but I feel it makes them too slow. I also wish not EVERY attack had an Omega, or if it was like a toggle state instead of on charge. The axe's shield and aiming ranged attacks would feel so much better if they didn't always go into charge.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
For every comment I see trashing the umbral flames there's another saying how powerful they are and are getting them the furthest into the game. Gonna be exciting to see how things evolve and I can't wait to see how Supergiant responds to the first wave of EA feedback.

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Scylla sounds so familiar to me. But looking at the actress credentials, I can't place her. Range is too good.

For every comment I see trashing the umbral flames there's another saying how powerful they are and are getting them the furthest into the game. Gonna be exciting to see how things evolve and I can't wait to see how Supergiant responds to the first wave of EA feedback.
I wouldn't even know what feedback to give, every time I dismiss something, it works for me more in the next run. I just said Specials don't do much, now I'm leaning on them heavy after some boosts. Fire Special, Double Speed and Homing.

MoonlitSeer

Fallen Guardian
Jun 9, 2023
Can't wait to get off so I can play this some more. I really like the design of all the new gods. Hestia looks so wholesome
Hestia is my favourite design of the new gods, for sure. If we're only counting the main boon-givers, since Eris is my favourite design overall. They really nailed her look, personality, voice; just everything about her is great.

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I'm gonna say something absolutely insane, but think about it.

Nemesis is basically a somewhat better tempered Bakugo.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f4e486a6c33487561574e774d4e513d3d2d3830343532333136302e313564363536313461396137616336323837303239383635303631332e676966

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
dionysus is gone isnt he ?:_(

I just loved the celestial frat bro, his design was perfect

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
The startup frames on the dash feel really frustrating to me. I don't like how much windup there is before the invincibility sets in, ESPECIALLY with how many enemies use persistent damage multi-hit attacks.
Not a fan of what they've done with the dash in this game. Just doesn't feel good

Ok so they did change it then right?? I was really frustrated with it thinking it felt so slow and cumbersome. I just assumed I was missing upgrades that I must have gotten in the first game

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of what they've done with the dash in this game. Just doesn't feel good

I think part of it is driven by the need to account for how it turns into the sprint, but yeah the way it's set by default isn't the most comfortable. I find it gets so much better with even a basic boon on your sprint that it's a bit uncanny

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think part of it is driven by the need to account for how it turns into the sprint, but yeah the way it's set by default isn't the most comfortable. I find it gets so much better with even a basic boon on your sprint that it's a bit uncanny

It also feels weird that you can only do dash attacks during the DASH animation, not while sprinting.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Got to the third boss. Im learning the sprint and cast are integral to the combat, especially with the AOE and the strength of enemies. Dodge still doesn't feel quite right. Mel starts to feel better when you play her like a "Trickster" vs Zag's "Fighter".

MR2

Apr 14, 2022
Is it safe to say the complete game releases within 6 months or is that still a coin flip?