signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a quick / VRish way to back up a few steps? Or do you have to turn around and teleport then turn around again?

e: answered.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

LIES

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I really hope you're able to move and click where you want to move cuz it really showing you're only able to move by clicking where to go instead.

Edit: nvm just notice you can move around 3 different ways, that's great.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a quick / VRish way to back up a few steps? Or do you have to turn around and teleport then turn around again?
Depends. Since this is using teleport you could either do that or move your analog stick to direction you want to turn. If you're in free movement you could just move the analog stick like you would in a regular game.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Is walking rather than teleporting that jarring?

Cause teleporting looks annoying. But I never really dived deep into VR, so I dont know.

I know you can walk, just wondering if teleporting is the ideal way to play?

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Looks fucking amazing as expected.

The VR killer app is finally here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
this game looks fake. I don't mean that to imply that this footage is actually faked, I mean that what they're doing is so impressive that I practically can't believe it. If they pull this off this will be the next step.
Yeah that's what I wanted from Valve and somehow they manage to do it again.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This looks fantastic. The third video especially with the intense combat and the various options you have (the car door!).

I also really like how they seem to handle inventory on the wrist. Every game that uses the 'snap to back/holsters on hips' inventory always led to me inevitably dropping whatever I was trying to put away. Seeing the interaction in your view probably eliminates this.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
In the third video, the ability to teleport from cover to cover basically risk free made that guy on top of the ladder a non-threat lol.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Cause teleporting looks annoying. But I never really dived deep into VR, so I dont know.

Walking is the most natural imo, but the fact that you yourself are not physical moving but you're virtual self is it can be really jarring and might cause nausea for some people.

Some people find teleport to be better for faster paced movement.

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017

I know you can walk, just wondering if teleporting is the ideal way to play?

It can definitely cause motion sickness, especially if you don't have a lot of VR experience.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Game supports teleport and smooth locomotion aka using a trackpad or analog stick to move. With teleport you can just aim over your shoulder and aim at the ground behind you, and smooth you just do it the same way you would with a controller.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty way of having a grenade launcher in that third clip.

I hope the gravity gloves can be upgraded.

InsecureExemplaryAfricanparadiseflycatcher-size_restricted.gif

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
This is not an on rails thing, right?

Also, why a floating hand? The other day I saw TWD VR game and the hand was connected to the player body, really liked that. So it can be done!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Also, why a floating hand? The other day I saw TWD VR game and the hand was connected to the player body, really liked that. So it can be done!
If you see the videos you can notice you are the one controlling the character...

And the hand debate, you dont really notice when playing and having arms is actually more jarring as they are not well defined (as the controllers are the things being tracked) so they end up getting in your way.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
God I am so stoked for this. I hit the minimum requirements right now but I'm gonna see about upgrading my card to a 20xx before this comes out.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Um, just seems like a mash-up of Job Simulator and any VR FPS.

At the end of the day, it comes down to world-building / story-telling. If you create a compelling wrapper around those activities, it'll be a satisfying gaming experience.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Game supports teleport and smooth locomotion aka using a trackpad or analog stick to move. With teleport you can just aim over your shoulder and aim at the ground behind you, and smooth you just do it the same way you would with a controller.
The aim behind your shoulder sounds stylish.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
if you're using teleport, you can just turn the controller towards your back and teleport back, if you're using the "dash" mechanic (which I don't think they've shown, but going by how Dash has been used in other games), you press the touchpad/stick in the direction you want to Dash, and thus can dash backwards.
Free locomotion, just move with the stick back/forward/left/right.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Need smooth locomotion gameplay. The teleportation killed it for me.

Edit: Vid 2 has the smooth locomotion gameplay.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It can definitely cause motion sickness, especially if you don't have a lot of VR experience.

Imo teleporting is way more jarring and disorienting than just walking and I don't understand. Like I don't see why it's the default in most games vs just regular movement but I guess I'm the oddball.

Oct 26, 2017

It doesn't really work without being able to track what position your elbows are in. There would be a very obvious disconnect between you and the image, which would break the immersion.

Looks fine when you're not playing, but when you're playing its super weird.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Imo teleporting is way more jarring and disorienting than just walking and I don't understand. Like I don't see why it's the default in most games vs just regular movement but I guess I'm the oddball.
Walking in VR but not in reality can cause motion thickness as your brain thinks you are moving while your body is "still" (some tricks to avoid it in the beginning is faking movement for instance), while teleporting while disorienting doesnt cause that.