• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Index currently is a wired system right?

Yes, and unlike the Vive - there is no unofficial or official wireless solution.

The room-scale tracking and screen quality (refresh rate/resolution/IQ) is the best you can get right now. The knuckles controllers are great, though not perfect. (They feel a bit too small for me and there are widely reported issues with how Valve implemented the 'clicky' part of the sticks.)

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So gloves will be upgradable

pUNFm2f.jpg

EZNpUq4.jpg

pMxi0rS.jpg

New headcrab (one in the background with spikes)?

Gb2SOS0.png

And dismemberment confirmed?

aJfLpAc.png

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Yes, and unlike the Vive - there is no unofficial or official wireless solution.

The room-scale tracking and screen quality (refresh rate/resolution/IQ) is the best you can get right now. The knuckles controllers are great, though not perfect. (They feel a bit too small for me and there are widely reported issues with how Valve implemented the 'clicky' part of the sticks.)

I feel like being wireless is such a huge necessity if you're going to be standing up doing things. Still getting it though.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The setup hasn't changed much, though there are lots of QOL improvements over the years (such as the lighthouses power on and off on their own without issues now, the audio automatically toggles to the right devices).

Comfort is vastly, vastly improved over the Vive though. It takes only a second or two to put the headset on and be comfortable and it doesn't suffocate your face anymore as the mount is very well balanced. If you're playing a game that isn't high intensity (like No Man's Sky or something) it's pretty easy to leave the headset on for hours.

You just said all the right things. I'm gonna get an index :)

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, only wireless that's adequate for HL:A is the Oculus Quest with the Link addon.

And it's not wireless while using the Link cable, for obvious reasons. You can get wireless PCVR going with the Quest through Virtual Desktop or ALVR, but it introduces a noticeable amount of latency (and depending on your router, you might also see compression artifacts).

lil jetski

Nov 1, 2017
For someone who doesn't even own a computer; where would I start? Setting the bar above "just barely being able to run it", I guess the computer alone would run me about $750-1000? Computer specs don't make sense to me any more. Last time I was into the PC scene (90s/early 00s), it was all about MBs of RAM and MHz. It seems so much more complicated now.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For someone who doesn't even own a computer; where would I start? Setting the bar above "just barely being able to run it", I guess the computer alone would run me about $750-1000? Computer specs don't make sense to me any more. Last time I was into the PC scene (90s/early 00s), it was all about MBs of RAM and MHz. It seems so much more complicated now.

It depends on where you live, but if you are in the US, then I've seen PC part picker builds that meet the HL: Alyx requirements for US$700 or so.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
This caused me to dust off my Rift CV1 today. Played some Robo Recall and it's still fun. I'm downloading Hellblade to check that out next.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
First shot with the regular gloves is likely from the opening moments of the game. When the guy throws the pistol that seems like the first weapon you get (similar moment to Barney throwing the Crowbar as well), and Alyx already has the grav-gloves by then.

I'm hopeful that everything can be used as a weapon. Tin cans, bricks, sticks etc.

The interactivity in what they've shown looks insane.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
By the way people. If you are like me and don't have the money to buy a VR headset but already own a PC that is capable of running the game, check if there are any retail chains that might possibly rent out VR headsets. It's like 40€ for 30 days with a Rift S.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. First shot with the regular gloves is likely from the opening moments of the game. When the guy throws the pistol that seems like the first weapon you get (similar moment to Barney throwing the Crowbar as well), and Alyx already has the grav-gloves by then.
You definitely need to get the gloves early on, far earlier than the gravity gun in HL2, because it's not just a gameplay feature but also a QOL thing. I'd imagine half an hour tops.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I have the original Vive right but, but I am considering selling my Dota 2 Dragonclaw Hook ($600-$700) to get the knuckle controllers. I bought my Vive months before the Index was announced.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm debating picking up a Index headset to replace my Vive one. Tough choice since my Vive still works great, but the Index looks like it would be a much better experience for Alyx. I'm already going to pick up the index controllers...but the headset... $500 hrmmm.

Jan 4, 2018
Can't wait to solve Valve's physics puzzles in VR. I think this is going to be great for streaming too since it allows for the user to create solutions and physically express their in-game model. Gonna see some wacky gameplay clips out of people.

Hope Valve releases a gameplay video tailored around trying odd approaches to scenarios just to give us an idea of the extent that you can play with the sandbox. The launch date trailer for Boneworks was like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to solve Valve's physics puzzles in VR. I think this is going to be great for streaming too since it allows for the user to create solutions and physically express their in-game model. Gonna see some wacky gameplay clips out of people.

Hope Valve releases a gameplay video tailored around trying odd approaches to scenarios just to give us an idea of the extent that you can play with the sandbox. The launch date trailer for Boneworks was like that.
I'm interested in that "electrical" puzzle near the start. Some sort of hacking mini game?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I'm debating picking up a Index headset to replace my Vive one. Tough choice since my Vive still works great, but the Index looks like it would be a much better experience for Alyx. I'm already going to pick up the index controllers...but the headset... $500 hrmmm.
I'm still rolling with my og vive, my index controllers are arriving tomorrow, I'll switch to the index headset when I build a better PC, since right now I'm running a 1060 max q which is just about enough for the og Vive.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Went to add the Index controllers to my cart and it told me I already had Half-Life: Alyx in my library, despite the fact I hadn't bought it separately.

EKFUoToX0AAA5Sn

Forgot that Valve added the family & friends pack to my account years ago (entitles you to all past and future Valve games for free). :D

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna grab a Rift S before this comes out (I'd like an Index but can't justify the price and can't easily set up lighthouses at the moment). Excited about this and other PCVR stuff, I currently have PSVR and really enjoy it.