Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The tracking for this is insane. Was like $40M OW a month ago, then up to $60M OW, and now Deadline is saying $70M OW up to a very optimistic $100M OW. Jesus!

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haha well I'm seeing it twice opening weekend so there's a good $30 right there

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only good thing about zombies first halloween is the way myers lauries parents. Its pure savage the way he kills the dad. Just casually standing at entrance to house and goes to walk in and myers just appears and slits his throat and just drops him in house in front of the mum.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only good thing about zombies first halloween is the way myers lauries parents. Its pure savage the way he kills the dad. Just casually standing at entrance to house and goes to walk in and myers just appears and slits his throat and just drops him in house in front of the mum.
Yup. It's my favorite kill of the movie. I just love that entire scene.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Very bad movie. It doesn't even have nostalgic value. The script was bad, they made Laurie look like an idiot in the end, it's stupid, it's not even remotely scary, too many characters,
the doctor twist is utterly idiotic
, they flushed down all the stupidity from the sequels only to create even more idiotic mythology, too many murders, now Michael is just a killing machine, McBride's comedic bits are really over the top (all but one scene misses)... Jamie Lee Curtis and Carpenter's music are the best things this movie has.

Green and McBride has no idea why the original is so good.

2/5

What a boring stupid movie. It wasn't even visually interesing or scary. I don't understand where the high review scores came from.
Wow. Both of you have me worried now.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing stops this train. Nothing receives universally praise. Nothing good is good to everyone.

SafeVelvetyHoopoe-max-1mb.gif

TONIGHT, THE SHAPE RETURNS!

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
In what ways did you not find it scary, that's the important question

Because a lot of people find The Witch and Hereditary boring and not "scary" too
There was no tension at all. Micheal didn't feel scary because the victims he chooses die in stupid ways so it doesn't impact you in any way to understand his strength. They talk about how evil he is and what he's done in the past yet he does nothing extroadinary in this movie. Even the jump scares are few and unimpressive. I had way more fun watching IT than this. I was expecting more brutal deaths and gore. It was very dull from the acting, to the cinematography, plot and death scenes. I've never seen the original movies though so I had no expectations apart from the media who hyped it up to be such a scary and great horror movie. My gf who could barely watch theHarry Potter movies because she thought they were scary and also couldn't stand watching IT thought this movie was weak.

Oct 25, 2017
There was no tension at all. Micheal didn't feel scary because the victims he chooses die in stupid ways so it doesn't impact you in any way to understand his strength. They talk about how evil he is and what he's done in the past yet he does nothing extroadinary in this movie. Even the jump scares are few and unimpressive. I had way more fun watching IT than this. I was expecting more brutal deaths and gore. It was very dull from the acting, to the cinematography, plot and death scenes. I've never seen the original movies though so I had no expectations apart from the media who hyped it up to be such a scary and great horror movie. My gf who could barely watch theHarry Potter movies because she thought they were scary and also couldn't stand watching IT thought this movie was weak.
You might want to watch the original because this actually seems like a positive to me. The original Halloween is considered tame nowadays and none of the things you were expecting were apart of what made the original great.

I can't say too much since I haven't seen the actual film though, but it mostly seems like you were expecting everything that the original was not.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It was being hyped as a return to form of the original, which was largely focused on suspense and Michael's quiet stalking, not brutal deaths and gore. Something in the vein of Halloween 1 isn't exactly a movie you'd expect to see elaborate deaths or brutal gore or the killer as an extraordinary slasher

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RT at 81% after 150 reviews. Looks like it may slide a little below 80 when all is said and done.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wait this ignores even Halloween 2, H20 and resurrection? Also it's not related to the Rob Zombie movies?

Pfff what a mess......will watch.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Wait this ignores even Halloween 2, H20 and resurrection? Also it's not related to the Rob Zombie movies?

Pfff what a mess......will watch.

Well, considering he killed Laurie in Resurrection, it wouldn't make much sense. And the less Zombie's films are mentioned, in any capacity, the better.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that the opposite of a mess? Its clean and to the point to cut out the series' mythology which frankly has gone off the rails. Ignoring everything but the first is a nice way to get back to basics.

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of like the first Rob Zombie Halloween for going in the direction of a grindhouse movie, it did something different with the story which is what I appreciate about the remake.

Malcolm McDowell's Loomis also elevated the film a lot. Michael Myers design was also nice albeit questionable, did he actually take up lifting weights in between making arts and crafts in the asylum?

Last edited:

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone saying they hate this movie because theres no brutal killing or gore is completey missinf what made the original halloween brilliant and an all time horror classic.

Its nothing about the original with the killings that make it scary etc and its somethinf horror movies mostly get wrong. They rely on the kills and not the lead up to the kills.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Someone saying they hate this movie because theres no brutal killing or gore is completey missinf what made the original halloween brilliant and an all time horror classic.

Its nothing about the original with the killings that make it scary etc and its somethinf horror movies mostly get wrong. They rely on the kills and not the lead up to the kills.

It's weird to hear since many reviews mentioned surprise at how violent it is.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I shall watch the first one before this then! Will be a first time buyer in g.

WizardofPeace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently doing an exam. I will be watching Halloween 4, 5, 6 and H20 after. I have never seen 4 or 5. I have seen 6 once, like 20 years ago.

I still maintain that H20's ending is one of the best horror endings and one of the best character closures ever. Fuck it's so good.

4 isn't too bad. 5 and 6 are trash. H20 is pretty good.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Back up to 82% at RT after 158 reviews. Beyond pumped to finally be seeing it in less than 24 hours.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There's some really well shot scenes in this.

Personal highlight
was the long single shot of Michael killing people in the two different houses.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty good. Definitely took a couple turns I wasn't expecting, but definitely a great sequel.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Just got back. I enjoyed it for the most part. Some of it was a little goofy; but what slasher film isn't full of coincidences?

The Doctor twist was dumb as hell though. And oddly, was telegraphed so poorly, they may as well have flat out said this guy is going to set Michael loose

Aside from that; I like the homages to all the other Halloween films including to Zombie's.

Really liked Patton as the cop. Some of the kills were super violent, especially for Halloween.

Oct 31, 2017
Okay so I saw this. The original Halloween is one of my favorite movies, easily in my top 5 all time. It's infinitely rewatchable, timeless, and is still scary I think.

I actually thought this sequel was amazing, and I was going in with relatively muted expectations. Interested, but I kept my hype in check. I definitely thought it had a lot of promise and potential, and I think it delivered.

I think it was a good idea to wipe away all of the other sequels. This is definitely the best Halloween sequel, bar none. At least when it comes to Michael Myers. The first sequel to really capture Michael's/The Shape's essence, in pretty much all of the ways. Presence, movement, and especially the mask. It is a true sequel in that it feels like the same Michael from the original, but cranked up. Almost reminiscent of the original Halloween II, but executed much better I think.

If I could compare it to anything, this movie is Terminator 2: Judgement Day to the original Halloween's The Terminator, and I sincerely mean that. I think a lot of people, especially those who are fans of both series, will come away with that impression after seeing this.

Spoiler thoughts:
I loved the mirrored shots in this movie, the contrast between Laurie Strode and Michael Myers. And just their overall dynamic.

I thought all of the kills were actually pretty good, especially the headstomp. Michael felt very believably vicious and evil, killing simply to kill in intense, intimate ways. The human jack-o-lantern was funny.

I thought the humor was actually really well done. The original movie is pretty funny too. And I liked that genuine humor was juxtaposed against very visceral, ugly violence.

I think it's the best slasher horror movie I've seen since the original Scream. I definitely want to see it again. I think this could be very rewatchable, like the original.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got home from the 7PM showing. I thought it was really good, and a probably a fun treat for people who have followed the series. I wish it had been visually a little more interesting. In terms of cinematography, the opening at the sanitarium sets a high bar that the rest of the film never really lives up to. Jamie Lee Curtis gives a great performance, as do the other two Strode women. Her role as crazy grandma feels like it has been cribbed a little too much from Terminator 2, but I tried not to let it bother me. I am mostly glad that they don't try to over-explain the mythos.....what exactly drives Myers, why he consistently seems to run into the Strodes by coincidence, how he's able to survive physical punishment, how he survived the first film, etc. All those questions may bother newcomers though. The film just largely sets up the idea that Strode and Meyers are inextricably tied together by fate, and you will have to either take it or leave it.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about how the film has been infused with comedy -- what's there isn't bad, but it just sets the tone off in a weird way at times. None of the scary setpiece moments are ruined though, almost all the humor is during downtime.

Fans of the series will probably love it, but I'm not sure how it will play to a wider audience that doesn't revere the original film.

Definitely see it with an opening-night crowd:

Everyone in the audience cheered when Laurie's body disappeared -- that big reaction left me pumped throughout the conclusion. When Myers did the vampire pop-up thing in the basement that got a fun reaction as well.

"So you're the new Doctor Loomis" was a bit of 4th wall breaking that I found to be really annoying, and the whole twist with the doctor was a bit of a groaner. Maybe it wouldn't have seemed as over-the-top silly had he not outright murdered the police officer.

There's a fun easter-egg moment while Allyson is in class, listening to her teacher talk about exactly the same book/author that Laurie was hearing about when she first saw Myers in the 1978 film. When Allyson looks out the window though she sees Laurie instead of Michael.

I thought they were as about as reserved with the blood/gore as they could be, though obviously I would prefer it to be as tame as the original. The curb stomp was the only thing that felt grossly excessive, though nearly all the kills are more bloody that those of the first movie.

Oct 31, 2017
Just got home from the 7PM showing. I thought it was really good, and a probably a fun treat for people who have followed the series. I wish it had been visually a little more interesting. In terms of cinematography, the opening at the sanitarium sets a high bar that the rest of the film never really lives up to. Jamie Lee Curtis gives a great performance, as do the other two Strode women. Her role as crazy grandma feels like it has been cribbed a little too much from Terminator 2, but I tried not to let it bother me. I am mostly glad that they don't try to over-explain the mythos.....what exactly drives Myers, why he consistently seems to run into the Strodes by coincidence, how he's able to survive physical punishment, how he survived the first film, etc. All those questions may bother newcomers though. The film just largely sets up the idea that Strode and Meyers are inextricably tied together by fate, and you will have to either take it or leave it.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about how the film has been infused with comedy -- what's there isn't bad, but it just sets the tone off in a weird way at times. None of the scary setpiece moments are ruined though, almost all the humor is during downtime.

Fans of the series will probably love it, but I'm not sure how it will play to a wider audience that doesn't revere the original film.

Definitely see it with an opening-night crowd:

Everyone in the audience cheered when Laurie's body disappeared -- that big reaction left me pumped throughout the conclusion. When Myers did the vampire pop-up thing in the basement that got a fun reaction as well.

"So you're the new Doctor Loomis" was a bit of 4th wall breaking that I found to be really annoying, and the whole twist with the doctor was a bit of a groaner. Maybe it wouldn't have seemed as over-the-top silly had he not outright murdered the police officer.

There's a fun easter-egg moment while Allyson is in class, listening to her teacher talk about exactly the same book/author that Laurie was hearing about when she first saw Myers in the 1978 film. When Allyson looks out the window though she sees Laurie instead of Michael.

I thought they were as about as reserved with the blood/gore as they could be, though obviously I would prefer it to be as tame as the original. The curb stomp was the only thing that felt grossly excessive, though nearly all the kills are more bloody that those of the first movie.

Your thoughts largely mirror mine, especially the T2 shout, but I think that's a really good thing! Especially with the
fake-out/reverse shots, like Allyson looking outside to see Laurie watching her and Michael looking out to see Laurie gone shots
. And like T2, this is largely thematically and executed very similarly to the original, but nailing the sequel idea of bigger, bolder, more badass. It is a better executed Halloween II.

I actually thought the kills/gore was relatively taut and intimate, while also being gruesomely explicit. And I thought that worked well.

I think this should be seen with a crowd too.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I saw this. The original Halloween is one of my favorite movies, easily in my top 5 all time. It's infinitely rewatchable, timeless, and is still scary I think.

I actually thought this sequel was amazing, and I was going in with relatively muted expectations. Interested, but I kept my hype in check. I definitely thought it had a lot of promise and potential, and I think it delivered.

I think it was a good idea to wipe away all of the other sequels. This is definitely the best Halloween sequel, bar none. At least when it comes to Michael Myers. The first sequel to really capture Michael's/The Shape's essence, in pretty much all of the ways. Presence, movement, and especially the mask. It is a true sequel in that it feels like the same Michael from the original, but cranked up. Almost reminiscent of the original Halloween II, but executed much better I think.

If I could compare it to anything, this movie is Terminator 2: Judgement Day to the original Halloween's The Terminator, and I sincerely mean that. I think a lot of people, especially those who are fans of both series, will come away with that impression after seeing this.
You kept your hype in check, but impressions like this are doing the opposite for me. Halloween, Texas Chainsaw, and Black Christmas are my favorite of the 70s slashers, with the first two being some of my favorite horror movies of all time. Myers is one of my favorite characters/icons in all of horror: the minimalist unsettling design, the deliberate machine-like movement, the relentless evil-in-the-shape-of-a-man essence. If this movie captures that aspect of the original, I'll leave the theater very pleased. Because none of the sequels have.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Film peaked when it was just Michael terrorizing the neighborhood. Started to sour with
Doctor Unpleasence shenanigans
, which was mercifully short-lived.

Carpenter's score was the best part. The absolute banger that played after Michael killed
the fat friend
. Just *chefs kiss*