• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
So many people losing their jobs all over. I feel awful for everyone affected.

I know it isn't the same but my elder millenial brain is getting 2007 flashbacks...

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Assuming this is true I genuinely don't get this. GamePass thrives off of DLC after people play the base game through the service so having multiple post-launch SP focused DLCs priced at $20-30ea would be perfect for such a business model.

They didn't even want to see their post-launch SP plans through to the end and 1/3rd of the studio got laid off because of it? That is extremely shitty.

Obviously I don't have any source but I doubt the number of GP players buying DLC is high, or at least high enough to justify new campaigns

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
idk it's sad that all of this staff has been let go but 343's structure, at least from what I know as read on GlassDoor, was completely fucked. They need something more stable for long term.

They'll prob keep CA on it or give it to whomever wants it from ABK if that goes through.

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Infinite largely missed its financial and overall goals and led to Microsoft decision to halt 343 "active development" transforming (or regress?) them into "franchise coordinators"
Wild that this had 20M players at first and even with game pass, it may have missed financial goals. What even were the goals???

What a colossal mess this has been for 343 and Microsoft. Their most cherished IP has been so poorly mishandled.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Terrible outcome for this studio and not deserved. Leadership failed them, and that goes beyond the top brass of 343. Microsoft is not managing their internal talent effectively or efficiently. They never have.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Assuming this is true I genuinely don't get this. GamePass thrives off of DLC after people play the base game through the service so having multiple post-launch SP focused DLCs priced at $20-30ea would be perfect for such a business model.

They didn't even want to see their post-launch SP plans through to the end and 1/3rd of the studio got laid off because of it? That is extremely shitty.

SP content is incredibly expensive to create. If their goals are to thrive with post-launch monetisation, they would need to massively step up their game with the Battle Pass implementations and purchasable cosmetics. Relying on post-launch SP content is really not advisable. And I would argue that they have made the right decision here, assuming all of these reports are true in some way.

I haven't really worked on a game with paid post-launch SP content nor have spoken in depth with people that have the last few years, but even just a decade ago, it used to be that you would get 10-15% attachment on your post-launch SP content compared to the base game. That is, for the sustainability of the business and how costly the content is to make in terms of money, time and people, not great. It is one of the reasons why companies sell Season Pass packs with or even ahead of the launch of the base game, because selling those when the content comes out, often times months after the release of the game, reduces the attachment rate by a significant amount.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
star-trek.gif

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They had such bold plans for this game, wanting it to last 10 years or whatever and then they somehow mismanaged it into a nightmare

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Even after slashing 1/3rd of 343's workforce, wouldn't that still be like 200+ devs still there?

And according to this rumor, Infinite MP support is largely outsourced to other studios?

A studio with hundreds of employees operating as a franchise coordinator......doesn't make any sense

This rumor sounds dumb

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Hope it works out. 343 was not in a good place and moving them to support makes the most sense. They were clearly not up for the task of Infinite.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Even after slashing 1/3rd of 343's workforce, wouldn't that still be like 200+ devs still there?

And according to this rumor, Infinite MP support is largely outsourced to other studios?

A studio with hundreds of employees operating as a franchise coordinator......doesn't make any sense

This rumor sounds dumb

400+ actually

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is probably for the better. Basically 343s transmedia effort will extend to Halo campaigns. Internally they'll keep the MP platform running.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
welp, rip halo i guess, now nothing more than a money making machine that's stripped for parts the second it doesn't make as much money as possible

seven main games and all of them pretty fucking good at the least, but imo not looking forward to what comes after this

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
343 are bad at handling lore too so I don't have much confidence

Last edited:

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously I don't have any source but I doubt the number of GP players buying DLC is high, or at least high enough to justify new campaigns
The entire point of GamePass not having DLC included in like 99% of the games is so players who enjoy the base game can spend a bit more on the DLC. Such a post-launch DLC model for Halo Infinite would've perfectly slotted into that business model and it makes it difficult for me to believe these rumors.

SP content is incredibly expensive to create. If their goals are to thrive with post-launch monetisation, they would need to massively step up their game with the Battle Pass implementations and purchasable cosmetics. Relying on post-launch SP content is really not advisable. And I would argue that they have made the right decision here, assuming all of these reports are true in some way.

I haven't really worked on a game with paid post-launch SP content nor have spoken in depth with people that have the last few years, but even just a decade ago, it used to be that you would get 10-15% attachment on your post-launch SP content compared to the base game. That is, for the sustainability of the business and how costly the content is to make in terms of money, time and people, not great. It is one of the reasons why companies sell Season Pass packs with or even ahead of the launch of the base game, because selling those when the content comes out, often times months after the release of the game, reduces the attachment rate by a significant amount.
Fair enough but as I replied to Rosebud I always took it that separate DLC is part of the GamePass ecosystem of keeping it profitable. If even that doesn't work out then what is the solution there. I just find it hard to believe that they scrapped post-launch SP plans because they couldn't find it profitable. If that was the case then we'd see Forza Horizon post-launch DLC scrapped or other games included in GamePass that see post-launch DLC scrapped.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Terrible outcome for this studio and not deserved. Leadership failed them, and that goes beyond the top brass of 343. Microsoft is not managing their internal talent effectively or efficiently. They never have.
The other studios seem to be fine. Maybe the issue is indeed, 343

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Fair enough but as I replied to Rosebud I always took it that separate DLC is part of the GamePass ecosystem of keeping it profitable. If even that doesn't work out then what is the solution there. I just find it hard to believe that they scrapped post-launch SP plans because they couldn't find it profitable. If that was the case then we'd see Forza Horizon post-launch DLC scrapped or other games included in GamePass that see post launch DLC.

The challenge here is bringing people back on board to reinvest into the game, long after they have left it. With games like FH, a lot of that post-launch content is being sold upfront, reducing the need for late sales to make it a worthwhile investment. Funnily enough, that also locks them into being legally required to produce the content no matter how many players still play the game.

With HI, there was no such upfront package being sold. So they would need to work incredibly strongly on reacquiring not only players, but also selling the new content to those reacquired players. It may have been a different story had they sold a "Stories" pass or package or whatever you would call it with the launch of the game.

Korosenai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wild that this had 20M players at first and even with game pass, it may have missed financial goals. What even were the goals???

What a colossal mess this has been for 343 and Microsoft. Their most cherished IP has been so poorly mishandled.
Probably not 7k daily players on Steam one year post launch

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
The challenge here is bringing people back on board to reinvest into the game, long after they have left it. With games like FH, a lot of that post-launch content is being sold upfront, reducing the need for late sales to make it a worthwhile investment. Funnily enough, that also locks them into being legally required to produce the content no matter how many players still play the game.

With HI, there was no such upfront package being sold. So they would need to work incredibly strongly on reacquiring not only players, but also selling the new content to those reacquired players. It may have been a different story had they sold a "Stories" pass or package or whatever you would call it with the launch of the game.
Basically Hivebusters. Good Gears 5 DLC that I don't think many played because they had already left the game.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Feel like this is for the best. 343 has had their chances and were never able to really succeed. It's a shame people got laid off but this definitely feels like the right direction for Halo as a franchise. Give me all the spinoffs.

vernacherMV

Feb 5, 2021
Why not scrap halo for a few years and start on a new ip? I don't even think younger generations are clamoring for another halo game. Like the game barely has 2k viewers on twitch currently.

Aug 23, 2018
if this is true (big if, never heard of this person or know their track record) then it's likely for the best of the franchise. Granted it went down in an awful way with many impacted by job cuts. But focusing on MP which is finally getting content on a somewhat regular basis, and outsource new single player experiences (possibly in new genres!) sounds exciting. It's clear 343 struggled mightily with Infinites development. Turning them into a Worlds Edge or Publishing team with creative direction could work out well for the franchise.

343 are bad at handling more too so I don't have much confidence

Drive by? Or didn't bother to read OP? 1/3rd of 343 have been let go, and leadership has turned over with Ross leaving and Staten returning to XGS publishing.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Effective immediately as the next "big" Halo game. 5 years sounds about right.
Yeah I can maybe get behind this. But jesus I think we need a spin-off of halo and let these god damn main characters rest. Whether it's 343 making it or another team. Also going open world I think was a bad idea, just my opinion though. Maybe open world sections but not like this..

Status
Not open for further replies.