• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
bout time. been playing infinite for 6 months and waiting on this has been torture.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
bout time. been playing infinite for 6 months and waiting on this has been torture.
Time traveler when he realizes he fucked up and posted in the wrong timeline

nilesyy-nilez.jpg

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Good to have confirmation that PC isn't excluded from DV on MS games.

EDIT:

Okay, just found the thread about the exclusivity deal being BS anyways.

Last edited:

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know how Dolby Vision currently works in the sense of if Xbox just uses Dolby vision instead of HDR 10 in general or if the games Iam playing currently support it, but I have noticed a big difference from HDR when it pops on…..if you have an LG make sure you change your setting as I played off game mode for a couple days before I realized what was happening

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
EA have about 5 games with DV output
... and they don't work properly on new GPU's or at least at common output settings. Need for Speed Heat for example is unplayable in HDR on PC cause it tries to engage Dolby Vision, fails and outputs purple garbled mess instead.

EA does not give a shit about any of that tho.

I hope if/when new wave of DV games comes out Windows 10/GPU drivers or whatever will be actually ready for it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
... and they don't work properly on new GPU's or at least at common output settings. Need for Speed Heat for example is unplayable in HDR on PC cause it tries to engage Dolby Vision, fails and outputs purple garbled mess instead.

EA does not give a shit about any of that tho.

I hope if/when new wave of DV games comes out Windows 10/GPU drivers or whatever will be actually ready for it.
Yeah, I've had mixed successes with it - black screens I can only recover by hard booting my PC being one.
Managed to get it to work easily by forcing 8bit RGB. Weird. Not a great solution either

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've had mixed successes with it - black screens I can only recover by hard booting my PC being one.
Managed to get it to work easily by forcing 8bit RGB. Weird. Not a great solution either
What are your thoughts on DV in games when it comes to those native implementations in EA games? Worth bothering trying to make it work or it's whatever? I managed to briefly play a bit of ME: Andromeda on GTX 970 in DoVi and was in whatever camp... after rebooting PC for the 5th time (😂)

It looked a bit different to me, but i would not say it looked better than HDR10.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What are your thoughts on DV in games when it comes to those native implementations in EA games? Worth bothering trying to make it work or it's whatever? I managed to briefly play a bit of ME: Andromeda on GTX 970 in DoVi and was in whatever camp... after rebooting PC for the 5th time (😂)

It looked a bit different to me, but i would not say it looked better than HDR10.

I've not exerted lots of effort into DV on PC-being proprietary it's somewhat of a black box.
It seemed to use a much longer tone map- maybe all the way to 10k nits.
I need to have a bit more of a play with it now I've figured out how to make it display semi reliably . I do have some theories about how it is displayed that I want to test.
It will actually be much easier to dig into the Xbox's output I suspect

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

I remember you from the Andromeda - Dolby Vision in Windows conversation. I managed to beat the game last week (110 hours), 100% of that time was using Dolby Vision.

But yeah, had to restart Windows 3-4 times during all that. This should be fixed on PC...its very seamless in console, come on Microsoft.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
I remember you from the Andromeda - Dolby Vision in Windows conversation. I managed to beat the game last week (110 hours), 100% of that time was using Dolby Vision.

But yeah, had to restart Windows 3-4 times during all that. This should be fixed on PC...its very seamless in console, come on Microsoft.
Hopefully new wave of games has a more robust DV implementation on PC. So at least comparing the two would not be a pain :D

Dolby does not even advertise those EA games so they clearly were experimental and half baked. Does not make it right on EA to leave them in such state without reliable fallback to HDR10 of course...😡

Guess you still enjoyed it so that's good!( played around 100hrs of Andromeda myself few years ago... in SDR😭 )

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
They better have some Dolby Vision footage available on the Dolby Access app or something

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Happy for Atmos, any spatial sound being used is great news .

I knew they were doing special stuff for Halo, this kind of shows some of the commitment behind what they are doing with HDR.