• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Halo MCC collection come to Switch

• Yes

Votes: 372 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 896 70.7%

• Total voters

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Nah MS looking into buying Nintendo instead. The megaton to end all megatons.

Seriously though no idea. Seems like something that would have been impossible but it's so heavily rumoured. Then again I'm still waiting for Star Fox GP soooooooo.....

Jul 3, 2019
When speaking of the "technical impossibility" of getting them running on the switch I think ya'll need to step back and really look at what has and continues to get brought to the switch.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a native port is likely, but happy to be proven wrong. xCloud integration more likely I think.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Why not? If everything will be playable on a phone, a device everyone has, why not make it available on Switch? Get that money. Maybe some Nintendo fans will subscribe to Game Pass as a result.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
No because right now they're struggling to get the damn thing to run at all on the Xbox One alone.

The RAM requirements are beyond what the Switch has. And as for actual Storage, the MCC is way beyond what can be compressed into a 32gb cart.

The only way the MCC's games would be technically feasible on Switch is as separate packages instead of a proper unified launcher. Which defeats the purpose.

They could in theory separate all the single player games but keep the MP components combined. there'd need to be some trimming involved but it can be done.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
343i has a hard time getting all 8 engines running on PC, and file sizes are through the roof. No way is a Switch port coming.

They could try to port a game at a time, like Capcom does.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
The more I think about it the more it would make sense to me

If they released collection or even them individually it's not like they're new or a real reason to own an Xbox these days, especially now that they're coming to PC. Putting them on switch not only gets them good will but it's a huge opportunity for them to capitalize on both a new demographic but also any double dippers. It doesn't replace the graphics heavy main version and it's not going to be either of the newest titles. Also, as we've seen, it doesn't stop them from reselling the game on future platforms like most devs do now with their old games and remasters.

Basically it seems like they have a ton to gain and not really anything to lose. Afaik their real profits come from software sales and not hardware sales so this would be an easy win.

I hope it happens. Portable Halo sounds incredible.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Considering how long it takes to bring MCC to PC while PC is way closer in terms of architecture to Xbox than to Switch, this seems to be quite a technical effort.
From a gaming point of view, the more games come to more platforms the better but recent threads have shown that many disagree with such an opinion.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe on the Switch 2 at some point but i don't see it happening this gen. Maybe it's just me but they seem to have a hard time porting it to the PC even.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
When speaking of the "technical impossibility" of getting them running on the switch I think ya'll need to step back and really look at what has and continues to get brought to the switch.

None of those are anywhere near as difficult as it would be to port all the disparate engines of the MCC in one go.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Halo MCC, Rare Replay & Geometry Wars will probably end up on the system at one point (probably in reverse order of what I listed) but I don't expect much beyond that in terms of the back catalogue. Probably just smaller games like Ori, a year after release.
Geometry Wars is Activision-owned nowadays I believe, unless they sold it off after closing Bizarre.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Im not gonna lie, it would be so, SO cool, but nah it won't.
Halo is Microsoft biggest IP that they won't give up so easily & even if they wanted MCC on Switch, memory/storage limitations would be a pain, also Halo 2AE, people forget it is a next gen game with uniquely high memory requirements, since Halo 2 Vista is attached to it, that would require some extreme optimisation or changes to work on Switch's more limited memory pool.

Oct 17, 2018
They cant even get it working on Xbox One/PC atm, no way 343 are good enough to get it to work on Switch if they cant even manage those ones.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MCC on Xbox One by itself was a more ambitious port than any of the Switch ports.

They cant even get it working on Xbox One/PC atm, no way 343 are good enough to get it to work on Switch if they cant even manage those ones.

What year is it?!

MCC has been fixed for over a year now.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
343i has a hard time getting all 8 engines running on PC, and file sizes are through the roof. No way is a Switch port coming.

They could try to port a game at a time, like Capcom does.
I believe it's more the Xbox version is giving pains with Reach on top of it, Xbox One only has about 5.5-6 gigs of memory total, that can go fast these days, which makes me think Switch is out of the question.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Didn't Matt Booty LITERALLY just do an interview saying core games like Halo and Gears don't make sense to come to other consoles. He even suggested that Outer Worlds 2 would be Xbox console exclusive. But ganes like minecraft or less core franchises like cup head make sense.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I think the original trilogy is pretty likely. Even just the first game would already be a mind blowing moment, but I feel like 1-3 is the best compromise. Still a huge moment, and still several games, but it's also a lot of work to port 3 games so anything after that I feel like would come separately. Still, at this point, I believe the insiders who are hinting at it, seeing as everything else came true.

Now whether I get it or not is a different story. It's kinda hard for me to separate Halo from the Mountain Dew and Doritos tie ins, I'd feel.... odd playing it.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I'd like to see it, but also, playing that game on the Switch in portable mode would be absolutely appalling. Would probably run terribly.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The MCC itself would be an unlikely candidate given the amount of time 343 have spent, and are spending, on it on XBox and PC tbh.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Too much smoke for there not be the fire.

It might not be exactly the same as the other versions. But I definitely think it's coming.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
That would be a dream port tbh. Anyway if they can port DOOM over what's stopping them from doing individual Halo ports instead?

Gpur

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
yes. I hope. I'm tired of exclusives, I want to play where I want, without hardware limit. Halo on Switch? Fine. Uncharted on Xbox? Good. Mario on pc? Great.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
No, it's a tentpole Xbox franchise, and Matt Booty was clear about keeping those exclusive to Xbox and PC. I also don't think that they should. While ideally it would be a good thing, in practice I feel that 343i would be spreading themselves too thin, when they should be focusing their efforts on supporting Microsoft's native platforms.

Via xCloud one day? Maybe.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Do I think it would be awesome? Sure, one of the craziest and coolest announcements in the history of gaming. From a business and PR perspective, would a move like that be good for everyone? Surely. Technically though, I absolutely cannot imagine that it is feasible.

The MCC is nearly 100 GB, runs on eleven different engines and 343 are struggling to get the Reach remaster in working order because they've exceeded the memory limit on the base Xbox One hardware. How they could possibly get any of that operational on the Switch is beyond me and likely beyond the realm of possibility. They could look into releasing each game piecemeal without the MCC wrapper holding them all together in one game file but again, I just don't imagine that happening.

Also, business isn't a something for nothing game. Is Nintendo going to throw Super Mario Odyssey on Xbox One? Breath of the Wild getting a Windows 10 release? If not, why give away the keys to the kingdom with nothing coming back to Microsoft?

Oct 26, 2017
No, not as a Switch game. If at all, Xcloud could come to Switch...

That being said, it is surreal that there is actually talk about such a possibility. Then again I still feel it's weird that Sonic is on Nintendo platforms so...

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Ok so the question is - instead of the MCC, would something like Halo remastered be a likely possibility on the console instead?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
MCC ? No.
Single re-releases of Halo games over a longer period of time ? Yeah.
I can see the OG Halo happening in 2020 - than maybe Halo 2 in 21, Halo 3 etc.

by the time we get to the 360 and One Halo there would already be a more powerful Switch on the market they could bring the whole Collection or newer game to.

Usually the answer to such a question would be just a straight no -- but the Switch is very popular and M$ is heavenly invested in getting everyone on board again with the new Halo. So they might wanna try to attract new or lapsed customers on a system like Switch.

Halo 1 Remastered on Switch isnt a threadt to the next mainline Halo on Xbox One/Nextbox.
I mean I guess, but I'd rather 343i not waste time trying to port over one of their old games when they've got folks on MCC.

I honestly wouldn't mind making Halo DS a reality haha. But it's either MCC or bust imo
No one says that 343i would have to port the games.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
No. They've been working on the game running correctly for 7 years on Xbox. No way it's coming to switch

Jul 3, 2019
Do I think it would be awesome? Sure, one of the craziest and coolest announcements in the history of gaming. From a business and PR perspective, would a move like that be good for everyone? Surely. Technically though, I absolutely cannot imagine that it is feasible.

The MCC is nearly 100 GB, runs on eleven different engines and 343 are struggling to get the Reach remaster in working order because they've exceeded the memory limit on the base Xbox One hardware. How they could possibly get any of that operational on the Switch is beyond me and likely beyond the realm of possibility. They could look into releasing each game piecemeal without the MCC wrapper holding them all together in one game file but again, I just don't imagine that happening.

Also, business isn't a something for nothing game. Is Nintendo going to throw Super Mario Odyssey on Xbox One? Breath of the Wild getting a Windows 10 release? If not, why give away the keys to the kingdom with nothing coming back to Microsoft?

Nintendo has nothing to gain by releasing it's IP beyond it's ecosystem, it's IP is literally the whole company.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I mean I guess, but I'd rather 343i not waste time trying to port over one of their old games when they've got folks on MCC.

I honestly wouldn't mind making Halo DS a reality haha. But it's either MCC or bust imo
Either Halo remastered/Halo 2 or 3 would be insanely good for me. Imagine being able to play them on the go. And even if its not the MCC, having the first entry would leave the door for further ports.