• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
James aka Angry Video Game Nerd, takes a look at the Cabinet of Dr Caligari - a movie that is 100th years old as it was released on 26 February 1920. What do you think of the movie and the reveiw?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think that RHCP Otherside/Babadook charcoal-looking artstyle with weird geometric architecture and the weird slightly speed up effect of old film is extremely effective

You can definitely see how this movie inspired them
CaringElasticGnu-size_restricted.gif

Screenshot%2Bfrom%2B2014-12-19%2B11%3A56%3A10.png

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I mean clearly I love the movie. Both my avatar and username (partially) are from it. I came across the film in college during a course on World Cinema Movements, and it has stuck with me ever since.

Can't watch Rolfe's review right now but I look forward to checking it out.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I wore a somnambulist costume for Halloween one year and everyone thought I was Robert Smith.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it in a Film Studies class my freshman year of college and I enjoyed it. It was one of the movies I didn't fall asleep during for the early era.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Amazing film and one of the few early films to comment on mental health. The German expressionism is still striking today. Can see all the influence on later directors, especially Tim Burton.

Don't care for James Rolfe though.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I saw this when I was young and was completely convinced it was a modern movie just using a silent gimmick. It just looked too creatively progressive. And I couldn't believe it when I found out it was a century old.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
In the US, Kanopy (All you need is a library card) has it streaming. The Criterion Channel will also have it next month along with more German Expressionism for those interested.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this when I was young and was completely convinced it was a modern movie just using a silent gimmick. It just looked too creatively progressive. And I couldn't believe it when I found out it was a century old.
If you have any disney snow white merch you should hold onto it because in 17 years shit's gonna get nuts

First cel animated feature film, first Disney animated film, first Disney princess, 100 years

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Your Film Studies probably didn't show enough Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd
The me falling asleep issue was more of a college issue than a film issue. I definitely fell asleep during Battleship Potemkin and Baraka though. I don't know if we watched much more than clips of Chaplin and no ideas on the others.

I got to see some other really cool stuff like Mullholand Drive, 12 Angry Men, a Rear Window + Vertigo double feature, Citizen Kane, etc.

The class was in this old art deco theater with really comfortable couches that made it dangerous to watch anything if you were tired.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I just watched Sherlock Jr. with Buster Keaton the other day and it felt incredibly modern with all the Inception film within a film stuff going on behind a very Jackie Chan style action comedy.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a preference of score for the film. Whether one the many made for the film or a soundtrack of your own?