• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm playing Stardew Valley and finally unlocked Junimo Cart. For those unfamiliar it's an on rails cart game where you push one button to jump while avoiding obstacles in different levels.

For a main game that's supposed to be all about relaxation, this is the hardest shit I've ever played (rivals Demons Souls). There's no saves in between levels and it's brutal platforming with only 3 lives per level.

To give you an idea of how hard this is, there's a freakin AMA on Reddit with over 1.3k upvotes for a person that beat it.

So what's the hardest minigame you've encountered in a game? Bonus if the main game itself is chill/easy.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fallout: New Vegas has that impenetrable Caravan card game. It's so hard even learning the rules is difficult.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Tombi!'s weird racing platformer race has high scores made by the devs. That says all.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
The ADS cannon mini game in Dead Space is harder than anything in the main game if you're trying to get the "Don't get cocky, kid" trophy for completing it with over 50% of your shield remaining.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Tiger Tiger in Xenoblade 2

guess Poppi is getting benched
lol
yeah

I submit :

latest

the most wonky, random, absurd terribly designed mini game ever.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
the spaceship minigame in Moon you need for 100% completion is rough because it was designed around CRT TVs since the game came out in 1997

only managed to beat it by playing in handheld mode on Switch because the response time was better

the fishing minigame in Trials in the Sky 3rd. (hell, even the gambling one took me an hour)

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
The minigames in the Yakuza series range the gamut of simple to annoyingly difficult. Like, I've gotten decent at mahjong, but the difficult tables are still a pain in the ass. Likewise shogi is still impenetrable to me, though there are often ways to cheese it. And the batting cages in some iterations are annoying as well.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
The minigames in the Yakuza series range the gamut of simple to annoyingly difficult. Like, I've gotten decent at mahjong, but the difficult tables are still a pain in the ass. Likewise shogi is still impenetrable to me, though there are often ways to cheese it. And the batting cages in some iterations are annoying as well.

oh yeah fuck batting cages. I gave up after a while on that.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
oh yeah fuck batting cages. I gave up after a while on that.

And they change so much game-to-game. Some were just simple timing, some are timing and aiming at the targets, and some are timing and tracking the pitch in the strike zone. And in some of the challenges if you don't have a reference sheet for what pitch comes when it just becomes an exercise in frustration.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Spheda in Dark Cloud 2.

Mini-golf in randomly generated dungeons, but there's a slight gap between the wall and floor that has no impact on regular play but completely FUCKS your shit up here.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Remember dk64 with the Mario mini game that was mandatory to progress? That was hard.

AceAlli

Oct 27, 2017
Tombi!'s weird racing platformer race has high scores made by the devs. That says all.

I came in here thinking "it's not the most difficult thing ever, but certainly the hardest part of Tomba!/Tombi!" and also that I'd be the only one to mention it. I'll also say the rail cart in Tomba! 2 is harder (at least that I remember), but yeah, these are my answers.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The pizza one in Club Penguin. Why are you asking for all of these toppings to be put on your pizza this quickly, slow the fuck down, mamma mia.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
the spaceship minigame in Moon you need for 100% completion is rough because it was designed around CRT TVs since the game came out in 1997

only managed to beat it by playing in handheld mode on Switch because the response time was better

Not the purely random fishing tournament?!

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The ADS cannon mini game in Dead Space is harder than anything in the main game if you're trying to get the "Don't get cocky, kid" trophy for completing it with over 50% of your shield remaining.
Pretty sure there were difficult minigames in the sequels too. One of them was a zero-g basketball thing that I found almost impossible.

Oct 27, 2017
Flappy Goat in Goat Simulator. Most of the other trophies are either finding secrets or doing random silly stuff, but none of them are especially hard (I spent an afternoon getting the rest). But bastard shit-eating Flappy Goat fucked my shit up and I gave up trying to get the Platinum. As you may be able to surmise, it's based on Flappy Bird and it's completely utterly leagues beyond anything in the main game in terms of difficulty.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Puzzle Boy in SMT Nocturne.

If you say you can/have beaten it without a guide, I don't/won't believe you.

Ur lyin

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Any Japanese-born card/board game in Yakuza

In Judgment there is a game called Ceelo, I think? With like 28 pages of rules. I noped out of that reeeeeal quick

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Shogi is just better chess and I'm genuinely thankful of the Yakuza games for teaching me about its existence and how to play it. Honestly feel the same about Mahjong too, love that stuff now, play a Mahjong app for fun.

But the time I spent getting good at Poyo Poyo for Judgement platinum? ugh.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
DRIQ6VPVQAAGHIB.jpg

Puzzle Boy in SMT: Nocturne. I like me some puzzle games but this shit is too hard, I gave up on stage 8 out of 20.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Flappy Goat in Goat Simulator. Most of the other trophies are either finding secrets or doing random silly stuff, but none of them are especially hard (I spent an afternoon getting the rest). But bastard shit-eating Flappy Goat fucked my shit up and I gave up trying to get the Platinum. As you may be able to surmise, it's based on Flappy Bird and it's completely utterly leagues beyond anything in the main game in terms of difficulty.

Came here for this.

Shit is incredibly hard, both because the mini game sucks and has truly awful collision detection.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
So I'm playing Stardew Valley and finally unlocked Junimo Cart. For those unfamiliar it's an on rails cart game where you push one button to jump while avoiding obstacles in different levels.

For a main game that's supposed to be all about relaxation, this is the hardest shit I've ever played (rivals Demons Souls). There's no saves in between levels and it's brutal platforming with only 3 lives per level.

To give you an idea of how hard this is, there's a freakin AMA on Reddit with over 1.3k upvotes for a person that beat it.

So what's the hardest minigame you've encountered in a game? Bonus if the main game itself is chill/easy.

I had a feeling I knew what this was about before clicking and I wasn't wrong. Fuck Junimo Cart.

This was absolutely infuriating lol, hopefully this is scrapped from the remake.

Pretty sure there were difficult minigames in the sequels too. One of them was a zero-g basketball thing that I found almost impossible.

Difference is you couldn't progress in the game without winning the asteroid shooting part. That's not a mini-game; that's terrible design. I would be greatly relieved to see it removed from the remake.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I know some people can get 100 jump ropes in Mario Odyssey just fine, but I lost patience pretty quickly

DOIjpDyU8AEG3Sn.jpg