• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
Was this the one with the randomly generated mine? Where you could be unable to continue going because it would miss placing the exit or placed it where you couldn't reach it? Good times, remember lots of swearing over that.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
So the consensus it this is a good game? Looking for something for my daughter and I to tide

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This really reminds me of Pokemon Let's go. It's a Chibi remake of an older game in the series rather than progressing with the art style of the last 3DS games.
Both were remakes going back to old visual styles, chibi designs is just what old BM had. I do wonder whether they will go back to the 3DS style for the next game or if they'll keep using the old one.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Dang my memories of the 3DS games are completely off. Maybe it's been too long.

you may be thinking of tale of two towns, the final ds game that natsume ported to the 3DS for western audiences (and marvelous later ported to 3DS, like, in 2017 or 2018), which seems to be closer in style to reunion in mineral town.
TFbkWWG.jpg

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I get why they're straight using the old subtitle again but the Japanese version doesn't do that and I wish they wouldn't do it, either. The Japanese one's something like "Mineral Town Reunion" and I think that'd be fine in English, too--just having "Mineral Town" in there somewhere is enough to get the point across, IMO.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
you may be thinking of tale of two towns, the final ds game that natsume ported to the 3DS for western audiences (and marvelous later ported to 3DS, like, in 2017 or 2018), which seems to be closer in style to reunion in mineral town.
TFbkWWG.jpg

Yeah, this is closer to what I was thinking of in spite of having played the later Story of Seasons games. Memories can be clunky things sometimes, I tell ya.

I get why they're straight using the old subtitle again but the Japanese version doesn't do that and I wish they wouldn't do it, either. The Japanese one's something like "Mineral Town Reunion" and I think that'd be fine in English, too--just having "Mineral Town" in there somewhere is enough to get the point across, IMO.

Yeah, I prefer the "reunion" title. But the misinformation regarding where the series is today is still so strong that I can understand why they would want to go with the most blunt and blatant choice to get people's attention.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the thrill of people letting me go upstairs on their houses.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
There's something that will actually make me rebuy a switch.
Really hope a smaller, cheaper model is made available soon.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
As long as Natsume is going to keep trying to ride on their coattails, being as plainly obvious as possible about what this is a remake of is probably in their best interest.

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of these new designs at face value, but thinking on it some more, I guess I'm glad they're changing them up. The original designs were rooted in their roles from 64, and now they can finally more fully embrace their BTN/FOMT roles. Like Ann no longer looking like a farm girl. My main hope is that they transfer everything over from BTN that was lost in FOMT. The tomato festival, the more involved Won introduction event, the "girl from the prologue" thing coming full circle and not just being forgotten, the lesser npcs, and so on. FOMT is great in many ways, but BTN just had a lot more heart, imo.

I would murder for a 64 remake though. I love 64 so much. It and AWL pretty much have the perfect tones.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Only reason I didn't play HM64 is because I didn't want Ellen to die which thankfully that particular scene is ignored in BtF and the Mineral Town versions.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Heard this series has time limits that mkae it unnecessarily stressful. Is that true for this one?
Yes, the original had strict time limits. However, I much prefer that than later HM games that had days that lasted 45 minutes.

Since there isn't a lot to do early on in those games the beginning can be a slog to get through. And even later on in the game 45 minutes is way to long for a single day.

Planing your day and make every minute count is part of the reason I enjoyed Mineral Town

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know a few HM games had time limits but honestly the games are so relaxed I don't remember ever stressing out about it. It's not something you need to worry about imo.

This announcement scratched an itch in me to play some of the older HMs and man I miss when there were few or barely any tutorials. SoS's tutorial was agonizing (and unskippable).

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Heard this series has time limits that mkae it unnecessarily stressful. Is that true for this one?

Nah. Some of the earliest games in the series had endings and grades you would work towards and some of the more recent games like to have these little checklists to fulfill to unlock content but FoMT is more or less completely freeform without much pressure at all besides the goals you set yourself. It's marvelous and likely one of the reasons the game is so beloved.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I know a few HM games had time limits but honestly the games are so relaxed I don't remember ever stressing out about it. It's not something you need to worry about imo.

This announcement scratched an itch in me to play some of the older HMs and man I miss when there were few or barely any tutorials. SoS's tutorial was agonizing (and unskippable).
Yeah, I never made it through that tutorial. Does trip of towns have that too? Thinking about picking it up.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I hated the limit they had for the original Harvest Moon. Only 2 years! And then the credits roll! And they were depressing!

I thought I had more time....

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I never made it through that tutorial. Does trip of towns have that too? Thinking about picking it up.

It's been a few years, but I remember it being a good bit shorter (but still there and unskippable). But you should buy Trio of Towns anyway, imo it's one of the best HM/SoS games in a long time.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a few years, but I remember it being a good bit shorter (but still there and unskippable). But you should buy Trio of Towns anyway, imo it's one of the best HM/SoS games in a long time.

Reading this I have a question, since I kind of fell off Harvest Moon games after the GameCube (aside from Rune Factory) where would you rank Back to Nature and A Wonderful Life? I ask as these two are my absolute favorite ones I've played and I would like to know how they stack up against the newer ones.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reading this I have a question, since I kind of fell off Harvest Moon games after the GameCube (aside from Rune Factory) where would you rank Back to Nature and A Wonderful Life? I ask as these two are my absolute favorite ones I've played and I would like to know how they stack up against the newer ones.

I haven't really dug too much into BTN myself (though I do like it). A Wonderful Life was my first HM though, and it's very near and dear to my heart. I would say BTN is closer to newer HM/SoS entries than AWL. Honestly, AWL is like... really different from both modern and old HM to be honest lol.

If you can get over the inventory space issues though, I'd say BTN still holds up very well against newer games. AWL is harder to rank without my nostalgia glasses (I also haven't played it in a very long time) but I want to say it's still great too. The thing about HM/SoS is that I don't think the gameplay itself ages much. While the improvements of later HM games are nice, I don't think much of it over the series has been life-changing? I usually base my plays over, "Well I never married this person" and "I like and remember this people." I can still play older games without much of a problem especially since they let you free sooner than the newer ones do.

The biggest differences between modern and older HM games I think is customization. Now you have a lot more freedom as to what you can do with your farm... since you kinda have to build everything on your own. You even have some games like Island of Happiness and A New Beginning where you're pretty much building the entire village lol. There's a lot of player customization now as well, with (poor) skin tone choices, eyes and clothing. For better or worse, I feel like you are a LOT busier in newer HM games than the older ones. Which might sound contradictory, because the next thing I'm going to say is that you have to wait a lot longer to unlock stuff. It's been kind of termed as "artificial lengthening" in the community, because at times it feels like Marvelous locks a lot of stuff away until Season X or Year X for no logical other reason than to make sure you keep playing. Personally I feel like this was at its worst points in Tale of Two Towns and Story of Seasons.

Some other misc. changes is that Marvelous pretty much abandoned the chibi look after Grand Bazaar (which went super chibi like this game... it wasn't received too well lol) and went with older looking protags and marriage candidates for several entries and all of the 3DS ones until... right about now. I didn't really care either way since it's still HM/SoS, but people seemed to like the older characters more. There's a lot more animals now (which you can already see in the new trailer) like llamas and Alpacas and you can catch bugs and swim. There's also some throwaway multiplayer stuff around too. Xseed's localizations also seem to be more flavorful than Natsume's. The latter could bring out some pretty egregious typos at times and had a lot of stilted dialogue despite me still liking their localizations (aside from that one time they cut the Best Friend system from DS Cute, they can get fucked for that).

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I was in a similar position as you a year or so ago but decided to jump back into the series. Love BtN, 64, FoMT, AWL, and the Rune Factory games but fell off after AWL. Imo, Magical Melody is the best that's came since. None top BtN or 64 to me, but MM is closest. Tale of Two Towns was okay and I hear great things about animal parade too, but I've never tried that one.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really dug too much into BTN myself (though I do like it). A Wonderful Life was my first HM though, and it's very near and dear to my heart. I would say BTN is closer to newer HM/SoS entries than AWL. Honestly, AWL is like... really different from both modern and old HM to be honest lol.

If you can get over the inventory space issues though, I'd say BTN still holds up very well against newer games. AWL is harder to rank without my nostalgia glasses (I also haven't played it in a very long time) but I want to say it's still great too. The thing about HM/SoS is that I don't think the gameplay itself ages much. While the improvements of later HM games are nice, I don't think much of it over the series has been life-changing? I usually base my plays over, "Well I never married this person" and "I like and remember this people." I can still play older games without much of a problem especially since they let you free sooner than the newer ones do.

The biggest differences between modern and older HM games I think is customization. Now you have a lot more freedom as to what you can do with your farm... since you kinda have to build everything on your own. You even have some games like Island of Happiness and A New Beginning where you're pretty much building the entire village lol. There's a lot of player customization now as well, with (poor) skin tone choices, eyes and clothing. For better or worse, I feel like you are a LOT busier in newer HM games than the older ones. Which might sound contradictory, because the next thing I'm going to say is that you have to wait a lot longer to unlock stuff. It's been kind of termed as "artificial lengthening" in the community, because at times it feels like Marvelous locks a lot of stuff away until Season X or Year X for no logical other reason than to make sure you keep playing. Personally I feel like this was at its worst points in Tale of Two Towns and Story of Seasons.

Some other misc. changes is that Marvelous pretty much abandoned the chibi look after Grand Bazaar (which went super chibi like this game... it wasn't received too well lol) and went with older looking protags and marriage candidates for several entries and all of the 3DS ones until... right about now. I didn't really care either way since it's still HM/SoS, but people seemed to like the older characters more. There's a lot more animals now (which you can already see in the new trailer) like llamas and Alpacas and you can catch bugs and swim. There's also some throwaway multiplayer stuff around too. Xseed's localizations also seem to be more flavorful than Natsume's. The latter could bring out some pretty egregious typos at times and had a lot of stilted dialogue despite me still liking their localizations (aside from that one time they cut the Best Friend system from DS Cute, they can get fucked for that).

Wow thanks for the detailed response! :) It makes me happy to see someone liking BtN and especially AWL just as much. BtN was my first exposure to Harvest Moon unless you count the time I briefly played the SNES one on a demo-kiosk as a kid. I played AWL when I was 12 or 13 and honestly this game was so mesmerizing and blew me away on the Game Cube, just walking around this small and tranquil town and getting to know all the people while building your farm in 3D was something else back then. It was really like I lived in this town for a while and honestly my nostalgia-glasses are huge here too. Thinking about it I don't even know why I fell off the series after AWL, I remember borrowing Friends of Mineral Town sometimes and also that SciFi PSP spin-off and had fun with these too. (Side-note, AWL, along with Pokémon XD taught me to never trust in BigBen accessories, nothing better coming home from school being greeted with "Memory Card must be formatted"...)

From what you say it sounds like I can safely check on the other games I've been missing sometimes. Happy to hear they expanded on customization on all fronts (yikes on the skin-tones though but I suppose it's better than nothing) and since I like city-builders I'll have fun building the entire village too I'm sure! But I see, hmm that sounds like they locked things away to not overload the player with lots of things at once but kind of inbalanced it. I'll see how I feel about this if I pick up these particular titles.

Honestly I can't say how I feel about the rest of all that and at this point I'll say I'm also not too hot on the ingame style they use here with the FoMT remake but chibi and all is still no deal-breaker for me. Great that there are more activities and animals too and yeah I'm aware of Natsume's at times, questionable localization but nice that Xseed did a great like always. Now I'm curious though, what is this Best Friend system?

I was in a similar position as you a year or so ago but decided to jump back into the series. Love BtN, 64, FoMT, AWL, and the Rune Factory games but fell off after AWL. Imo, Magical Melody is the best that's came since. None top BtN or 64 to me, but MM is closest. Tale of Two Towns was okay and I hear great things about animal parade too, but I've never tried that one.

Interesting that you had the same thing happening as me, I guess it just happens sometimes. But yeah thanks for the input too, seems like I have alot to play whenever I get that Harvest Moon itch! :)

lori

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone make a news thread if gay marriage is ever confirmed for this game? That'd make it a definite purchase for me.

Oct 26, 2017
I personally don't like the huge amount of white-space but otherwise I think you did a great job! :D

Actually I made the white space larger than the original piece to match the JP bo due to the logo covering too much of the folks at the bottom.

81ch7il59FL.jpg

I used Fate/Extella's Switch box as a reference for the Marvelous and rating logo sizes.
Looks fantastic. Probably not too far off from what we get.

And thank you both for the kind words! :D

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Wow thanks for the detailed response! :) It makes me happy to see someone liking BtN and especially AWL just as much. BtN was my first exposure to Harvest Moon unless you count the time I briefly played the SNES one on a demo-kiosk as a kid. I played AWL when I was 12 or 13 and honestly this game was so mesmerizing and blew me away on the Game Cube, just walking around this small and tranquil town and getting to know all the people while building your farm in 3D was something else back then. It was really like I lived in this town for a while and honestly my nostalgia-glasses are huge here too. Thinking about it I don't even know why I fell off the series after AWL, I remember borrowing Friends of Mineral Town sometimes and also that SciFi PSP spin-off and had fun with these too. (Side-note, AWL, along with Pokémon XD taught me to never trust in BigBen accessories, nothing better coming home from school being greeted with "Memory Card must be formatted"...)

From what you say it sounds like I can safely check on the other games I've been missing sometimes. Happy to hear they expanded on customization on all fronts (yikes on the skin-tones though but I suppose it's better than nothing) and since I like city-builders I'll have fun building the entire village too I'm sure! But I see, hmm that sounds like they locked things away to not overload the player with lots of things at once but kind of inbalanced it. I'll see how I feel about this if I pick up these particular titles.

Honestly I can't say how I feel about the rest of all that and at this point I'll say I'm also not too hot on the ingame style they use here with the FoMT remake but chibi and all is still no deal-breaker for me. Great that there are more activities and animals too and yeah I'm aware of Natsume's at times, questionable localization but nice that Xseed did a great like always. Now I'm curious though, what is this Best Friend system?

Interesting that you had the same thing happening as me, I guess it just happens sometimes. But yeah thanks for the input too, seems like I have alot to play whenever I get that Harvest Moon itch! :)

I have the same HUGE nostalgia for A Wonderful Life. Something about the town's background noises like birds chirping and calling and the water noises made along with all the characters the game a huge part of deciding my gaming tastes. I hope the love mineral town is getting with this remake will eventually move to a Wonderful Life portable rerelease (Harvest Moon: DS was too different for my tastes) or remake is on the way.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I made the white space larger than the original piece to match the JP bo due to the logo covering too much of the folks at the bottom.

81ch7il59FL.jpg

I used Fate/Extella's Switch box as a reference for the Marvelous and rating logo sizes.

And thank you both for the kind words! :D

Oh I'm aware that you didn't introduce the whitespace, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it because it applies to the original cover anyway and not your edit, you shifting it around was a sensible thing looking at them both side by side-by-side. I just dislike huge amounts of whitespace in general, the only covers that can pull it off for me are the Final Fantasy ones :P But as far as your localization edit goes, I would print this as a publisher! :)

I have the same HUGE nostalgia for A Wonderful Life. Something about the town's background noises like birds chirping and calling and the water noises made along with all the characters the game a huge part of deciding my gaming tastes. I hope the love mineral town is getting with this remake will eventually move to a Wonderful Life portable rerelease (Harvest Moon: DS was too different for my tastes) or remake is on the way.

I'm really happy to hear that many more share my love for the tranquility of AWL! :) Yeah the whole atmosphere was just something else and I think it was the first time in a game where I could really see myself living there. A modern remake of AWL would be amazing!

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow an A Wonderful Life port/remaster would be an instant buy for me. Absolutely loved that game but sadly the memory card had corrupted about 1 year into the game.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
anyway they finally got around to putting out some more character art:
MTY3PXx.jpg
rOC1uWe.jpg

allQWig.jpg
64i8OB0.jpg

Grey kind of... loses something without the hat, huh.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Although HM 64 is my all time favorite HM, this is a pretty close second. Really liking the looks of this so far, and will most likely buy it.

With Stardew, FOTM, AC, Story of Seasons, Rune Factory 4, Rune Factory, 5, and DQ Builders all on Switch, why even bother going outside again? Digital outdoors is taking over.