Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played one of those harvesting games, but this seems quite enticing. How much of the actual play time do you spend planting/harvesting food? That's the aspect that feels like it may be tedious and I'm worried it's the main activity.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played one of those harvesting games, but this seems quite enticing. How much of the actual play time do you spend planting/harvesting food? That's the aspect that feels like it may be tedious and I'm worried it's the main activity.

The main purpose of the farming stuff is so you get healing items (that can give status buffs as well). How much you want to focus on it is dependent on the person but I would say the main focus of the game is in the JRPG stuff and the farming is a side activity to help you with it.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
The main purpose of the farming stuff is so you get healing items (that can give status buffs as well). How much you want to focus on it is dependent on the person but I would say the main focus of the game is in the JRPG stuff and the farming is a side activity to help you with it.

Sounds good thanks, I think I'll try the demo!

Great, just what I needed, another game to steal my sleeping hours after I'm done with No Man's Sky....

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good thanks, I think I'll try the demo!

Great, just what I needed, another game to steal my sleeping hours after I'm done with No Man's Sky....
Just don't go in thinking farming is optional or very little. There is much less than Rune Factory but the bare minimum amount of farming you need to do is still quite a bit.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Just don't go in thinking farming is optional or very little. There is much less than Rune Factory but the bare minimum amount of farming you need to do is still quite a bit.

To add to this here's like the bare minimum "what you should be doing". Once you unlock sprinklers and the mass harvest skill this is basically all automatatable and very quick:

www.dexerto.com

Harvestella: Best crops to grow for each season - Dexerto

With plenty of crops to grow in Harvestella, finding the best ones per season can be tough. We've got the best crops in Harvestella.

You'll need the money for upgrading weapons and buying farm expansions but you can also get a lot from sidequests and early game those will be more profitable than farming.

Also the demo is far more restrictive with time and whatnot than the full game.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Just completed the first dungeon and so far i'm liking it a lot. Character art is beautiful and the music is fantastic as well. Considering how early in the game i am i'm expecting it to get even better. Characters themselves are also pretty likeable. They don't leave an impact like the Xenoblade 3 cast did but i enjoy interacting with them. The Farming stuff has also been pretty chill so far. Very happy with my purchase.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Played a little last night. After finishing the first dungeon and going back to Njord Steppe, I noticed the monsters were a lot higher level (around 10, instead of the original 1-2).

Is that an exception for revisiting an area? Or do the enemies level-scale to you?

Last edited:

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Just finished Chapter 6. Great boss, great dungeon. Wow. It's amazing how many little details are foreshadowed if you do the sidequests. Can't recommend doing them enough.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Chapter 6. Great boss, great dungeon. Wow. It's amazing how many little details are foreshadowed if you do the sidequests. Can't recommend doing them enough.

How many dungeons have you gone through already? If you want to spoiler it it, that's fine. I'm just curious.

Also, a side quest opened up for me in Lethe after the first dungeon. I tried to do it the first day, but the kids all disappeared right in front of me. lol I think because it hit 3pm. Seems the side quests can be timed for parts of the day? Fortunately they were there the next day, which then I completed it.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
How many dungeons have you gone through already? If you want to spoiler it it, that's fine. I'm just curious.

Also, a side quest opened up for me in Lethe after the first dungeon. I tried to do it the first day, but the kids all disappeared right in front of me. lol I think because it hit 3pm. Seems the side quests can be timed for parts of the day? Fortunately they were there the next day, which then I completed it.

I think there have been 12 so far, a third of them shortish akin to Njorn, a third more comparable to higan valley but a bit longer, and a couple that have been maybe 1.5-2x that length. One in particular took me like 7 or 8 days or so, though I wasn't really spamming stamina restoratives beyond just the small passive restoration you get from eating any raw ingredient.

The actual visuals and puzzles and mechanics become more interesting and inventive as you go on as well, with each subsequent dungeon kinda one-upping the one before it, maybe with the exception of one dungeon in Ch 3 that felt a bit underwhelming.

Mobs also get more vicious. Some will have one that paralyzes you while others with throw down AoEs you can't get out of, there'll be continual damage floor traps, things like that. Not unbelievably difficult or anything but definitely a step up and I find I have to think a bit more about what skills I'm using and when to avoid just burning all consumables.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
I JUST started 3C, lol.

After spending so much time in the other towns, taking care of side missions, it feels awesome to walk into a new town.

I did unlock the Waterside Biome, where you can plant specific seeds that can only be planted in this area...and because they are already in water, no need to water them yourselves.

On the subject of water, unlocking the Sprinkler was unexpected lol but it ties into the whole sci fi theme with how it looks. It also saves you on Stamina. It waters in a 3x3 square.

I really didn't think this game would be as long as it is (especially if you're doing everything) but I'm about to hit the 40 hour mark and it's been the smoothest 40 hours I've done lol. Nothing felt tedious or boring.

Glad to see a few others purchasing the game!

I'm trying to balance my time between this, God of War and Tactics Ogre but that's a challenge, haha. Anyone else been adding an extra cup of coffee during the day? lmao

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I think there have been 12 so far, a third of them shortish akin to Njorn, a third more comparable to higan valley but a bit longer, and a couple that have been maybe 1.5-2x that length. One in particular took me like 7 or 8 days or so, though I wasn't really spamming stamina restoratives beyond just the small passive restoration you get from eating any raw ingredient.

The actual visuals and puzzles and mechanics become more interesting and inventive as you go on as well, with each subsequent dungeon kinda one-upping the one before it, maybe with the exception of one dungeon in Ch 3 that felt a bit underwhelming.

Mobs also get more vicious. Some will have one that paralyzes you while others with throw down AoEs you can't get out of, there'll be continual damage floor traps, things like that. Not unbelievably difficult or anything but definitely a step up and I find I have to think a bit more about what skills I'm using and when to avoid just burning all consumables.

Ok, thanks.

So it sounds like there is a lot involved with the game, which is good. It doesn't sound like it, but I wish there were more things you can craft items (similar to the repair kits for bridges) that help you bypass obstacles like the continual damage floor tiles. Also, hopefully there is food you can cook that will allow you to remove paralysis or other status effects (unless you aren't able to access your backpack). Or at the least, food you can cook that will give you resistance towards them.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Ok, thanks.

So it sounds like there is a lot involved with the game, which is good. It doesn't sound like it, but I wish there were more things you can craft items (similar to the repair kits for bridges) that help you bypass obstacles like the continual damage floor tiles. Also, hopefully there is food you can cook that will allow you to remove paralysis or other status effects (unless you aren't able to access your backpack). Or at the least, food you can cook that will give you resistance towards them.

There is food/juice etc. you can craft/make that helps mitigate these things yeah.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
In Chapter 3C now and I'm constantly surprised by

The number of people with amnesia, children and adults who just run off into the wild and couples with relationship problems lol And people with dead parents.

I guess to a certain extent this is true for the real world, except the amnesia part.

OP
OP

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's a bug but is anyones character quest with Brakka stuck?

Finished his 5th quest and the quest tab for him says "Meet the argent innkeeper" but it's been 4 days and I've never got a letter initiating the 6th quest and talking to the innkeeper does nothing. Weird

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I really like that the side quests have interesting little stories to tell. They're fun.

I hope I get the ability to smash those big rocks soon. They take up so much space.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's a bug but is anyones character quest with Brakka stuck?

Finished his 5th quest and the quest tab for him says "Meet the argent innkeeper" but it's been 4 days and I've never got a letter initiating the 6th quest and talking to the innkeeper does nothing. Weird

I am not far enough for that quest yet, but had a similar issue with other quests. seems like there is sometimes a bug with the quest text, so I think you just have to wait for the letter. It seems it is random how long it takes for the next letter to arrive for the quests and can sometimes take sometimes.

OP
OP

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

I am not far enough for that quest yet, but had a similar issue with other quests. seems like there is sometimes a bug with the quest text, so I think you just have to wait for the letter. It seems it is random how long it takes for the next letter to arrive for the quests and can sometimes take sometimes.
Thanks! That's what I figured it being likely a text error when it should instead say "wait for the next letter" just will continue to play and wait until i see a letter, thanks!

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
Sooo I just started this game and I must say, it's very pretty.

Just beautiful world design, but ughh at the invisible walls that abound.

My one annoyance is the lack of variation in the character design choices.

No curl options for the hair, kinked or loose. No real nuanced variation in terms of skintone or facial features.

Monster Hunter Stories 2 this is not.

And my biggest issue, there's no scale toggle between the male/female/binary forms.

Like damn Square-Enix, you couldn't try to throw us some additional options for builds?

My character looks like he's auditioning for the Magical Knights of Rayerth.

Which isn't a problem in and of itself but damn, there's no variations to choose from.

For a company to espouse global audiences they definitely whiffed it right here.

Still, it's early and maybe clothing changes etc will unlock as the game goes on.

Here's to hoping.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
This game is hitting the spot right now. It's simple and nostalgic with just a nice flourish here and there. Very easy to digest.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
You know, I was thinking of waiting for a sale since I have more that enough games to get through, but after seeing the posts in this thread and playing more of the demo, I'm just going to jump on it now.

Also want to support the devs because more ideas like this need to be greenlit, honestly

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Done with 3C and quite enjoyed it because even if it didn't have the emotional highs of the other 2 it had some good lore exposition related to the wider narrative, and some good characterization for Aria. I don't know if it's true but I read earlier on Reddit someone said this game was originally turn based and if true that's kind of sad that we didn't get a great turn based system, but my bigger wish is 4-person parties just because Aria feels like a natural co-protagonist. That there's typically 4 of you involved in the town quests it would just make sense. Anyway basically I love Aria's character and wish I didn't ever have to take her out of my party lol (yes I know I don't have to).

And now I'm sitting here with a few days left before Summer ends and I'm paralyzed with what to do because my farm needs some work and prep work for fall, I want to organize all my machines and trees and get some fences, I have 7 side quests and and 7 character stories I need to work on, I'm about to have a new biome, I still haven't unlocked my mounts upgrade or expanded my animal pens beyond 2/3 AHHHH THERE'S SO MUCH TO DO edit: haven't even started my rare fish collection either oh no

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
So for party member abilities, they'll lock you and the boss in place but AoEs that are already cast will still go off, so be careful. Died to a couple bosses now because of that.

Chapter 8 boss has full voice acting holy shit! I guess technically chapter 4 does as well. Man I wish they had VA for the big story scenes at the very least. They'd hit a bit harder. The fact they're as good as they are with stylized models limited animation and text only is a testament to how cool some of the scenes are.

That chapters boss music also top tier. Exactly the right kind of vibe.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
If there's any game which deserves a version of the 'What I played/What I expected/What I got' meme it's this one.

I think I'm actually at the end given the chapter title is Epilogue. 48 hours, I'd anticipate maybe 5 more, and I still have the quietus dungeon to finish.

This game slaps. It's not without its flaws but holy shit is it one of the most out there ambitious beyond its means sorts of games/JRPGs in quite a while. Not every story element or character is phenomenal, some are a bit tropey and kinda generic, but for every moment where the story and characters are just 'decent', there are many more that far exceed what I could possibly expect from a farming game/RPG hybrid. The number of moments where I've felt genuinely emotionally moved, including a couple instances where my eyes felt waaaay too itchy, is just something I wasn't prepared for going off of 'Final Fantasy + Harvest Moon'.

The biggest knocks are character customization, no cutscene skip button especially for bosses, no real calendar system or timed events to spruce up the world, as well as general VA and presentational issues expected of the budget. But overall its such a dang special experience. Watching the steam review % positive creep up day after day is cathartic.

I would absolutely love RF to draw a bit of inspiration from this title in future entries. Not with respect to the whole crazy plot stuff or anything necessarily, but interesting sidequests and character development might be a reasonable place to start, idk. It'll be hard to go back.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Dammit, ya'll are making me so tempted to go out and buy the game already even though I'm only 3 hours into Ragnarok lol

Jan 6, 2019
There is a cutscene skip for bosses BTW, you just have to die to them first. When you go back it asks you if you want to skip the cutscene before the boss. But you have to die and wake up at home and then go back, you can't quit and load your save.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
There is a cutscene skip for bosses BTW, you just have to die to them first. When you go back it asks you if you want to skip the cutscene before the boss. But you have to die and wake up at home and then go back, you can't quit and load your save.

Interesting.

I actually died against the boss of the first dungeon, but I did reload my save as I didn't want to waste the rest of the day.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Final boss! Design phenomenal! Spectacle out of this world! Difficulty holy shit! Final 10-20% in particular is bad savage raid flashbacks.

Time to come back with 8 stacks of vegetable juice I guess.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Is there an easier way to get regular lumber? It only shows a collection point of your home, there's only like 4 gathering spots on the farm, and I'm lucky to get 1-3 in a day... and I need 3 for each piece of fence I want to make :(

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an easier way to get regular lumber? It only shows a collection point of your home, there's only like 4 gathering spots on the farm, and I'm lucky to get 1-3 in a day... and I need 3 for each piece of fence I want to make :(

Check out the Gather spots in Njord Steppe! I just received some from there.

If you view the Harvesting tab under Encyclopedia, it shows you the location of where to get items and the method...BUT it doesn't show every place it seems.

Take lumber, for example. It shows you can get it from the collection points at your home but it doesn't mention Njord Steppe. So maybe there's a chance to get it at every Gather spot? Or at least in the areas near your home? Not 100% sure.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
So how do you get crops for cooking if you didn't grow/store enough from that season (and it was only available during that season)? Are you pretty much SoL until next year?

It sounds like this isn't a game that goes multiple years, unlike something like Animal Crossing.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Done. 50 hours, all sidequests, finished at the end of fall, speedruns will be interesting. Was pretty aggressively minmaxing my time earlier in the game. Easily the best JRPG I've played this year, prefer it even to XBC3, if only because I felt like that game sorta peaked in the middle with a comparatively lackluster back half, whereas this just keeps one-upping itself to almost Platinum levels of absurdity. Definitely some flaws, but as an overall package I think it's one of Square Enix's best published titles in yeeaaaars, and Live Wire are nutty talented developers given their clear budgetary constraints. I'll write up some more extended and spoilered thoughts another time but suffice it to say that this game is going to be criminally overlooked.

Oh and when the game asks you to save, save.

image.png

So how do you get crops for cooking if you didn't grow/store enough from that season (and it was only available during that season)? Are you pretty much SoL until next year?

It sounds like this isn't a game that goes multiple years, unlike something like Animal Crossing.

You are technically, but you'll typically find new recipes that have ingredients from different seasons (should be able to buy some from towns etc.). You can also get ingredients from quests, as well as full portions of food from quests too, and you can always just rely on vegetable juice as a quick and easy health restorative using basically anything in any season with a fermenting barrel. You can also stack stamina regen with fullness by eating basically any raw ingredient you find lying around like mushrooms, leaves etc.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
So hard to put this down. Finished 3A, did some quests and am now slowly doing 3B. I love the summer town but nobody has a swimsuit on lol. That's just weird considering they have a huge beach right in front of their homes.

Farm is slowly expanding. Just added chickens and I bought the second expansion.

And what's the deal with that unicorn. Does he give quests at some point? He just stands there in his forest.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017

If it is about a specific recipe and not cooking something in general I don't think there is anyway to get it in other seasons.

They game can go multiple years, it is pretty open in that regard because there is no time limit. The RPG side is just totally separated from the season stuff which means there will be a wide variety between people.

Something to consider as well the day one patch included making the days longer and traveling in the overworld taking less time, which means people will take less in game days to finish the story than how the game was originally designed.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Check out the Gather spots in Njord Steppe! I just received some from there.

If you view the Harvesting tab under Encyclopedia, it shows you the location of where to get items and the method...BUT it doesn't show every place it seems.

Take lumber, for example. It shows you can get it from the collection points at your home but it doesn't mention Njord Steppe. So maybe there's a chance to get it at every Gather spot? Or at least in the areas near your home? Not 100% sure.
Yeah maybe it's something like that because I've now found it at both Njord Steppe and Higan Canyon while running around taking care of things. I saw a post on Reddit earlier mentioning you should stock up on monolyte fragments while you can because eventually an upgrade to your mining knowledge will make it harder to find such a common material, now I'm worried lumber might be the same lol.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah maybe it's something like that because I've now found it at both Njord Steppe and Higan Canyon while running around taking care of things. I saw a post on Reddit earlier mentioning you should stock up on monolyte fragments while you can because eventually an upgrade to your mining knowledge will make it harder to find such a common material, now I'm worried lumber might be the same lol.

If you are searching for lumber I would run a few times through Higan Canyon, it is even dropped by some enemies there.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Any tips for the final boss? I get wiped out about 75% into part 2 of the fight.

Lots of vegetable juice lol. Avoid using items during phase 1. Phase 2 is more about learning patterns and knowing when to not spam skills because the AoEs come out faster and hit harder. The big Sephiroth-esque attack has a short tell before hand during which you need to heal up (there'll be a message on screen), otherwise you wipe, as far as I can tell. And then there's the super move you have the DPS check for. Then at like 20% the attacks speed up and AoEs come out in larger multiples/overlaps. Took me a few tries.

Stuff like lunamancer, mage, assault savant, anything with long cast times is probably a no go given that attacks come out very fast.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019
Nope, I'm out. That final boss is BS. Plinking away at what seems like a million hitpoint lifebar for a half hour, and then get wiped by a one hit kill? This is when watching endings on youtube come in handy lol. I did everything else I wanted in the game, took about 50 hours, great game, but I REALLY disliked a few of these bosses.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
You are technically, but you'll typically find new recipes that have ingredients from different seasons (should be able to buy some from towns etc.). You can also get ingredients from quests, as well as full portions of food from quests too, and you can always just rely on vegetable juice as a quick and easy health restorative using basically anything in any season with a fermenting barrel. You can also stack stamina regen with fullness by eating basically any raw ingredient you find lying around like mushrooms, leaves etc.
If it is about a specific recipe and not cooking something in general I don't think there is anyway to get it in other seasons.

They game can go multiple years, it is pretty open in that regard because there is no time limit. The RPG side is just totally separated from the season stuff which means there will be a wide variety between people.

Something to consider as well the day one patch included making the days longer and traveling in the overworld taking less time, which means people will take less in game days to finish the story than how the game was originally designed.

Well, that's a bit disappointing you can't grow crops out of season. I can see not being able to buy them, but I just don't see how they expect you to save up the grilla and have enough time to grow Spring-only seasonal crops.

Like for myself, I believe I am Day 13 now (been a few days since I've played) and I still haven't grown Strawbuddy or Tingle Radish. And Wisty Peach is 4200 Grilla?? I still need to buy my Kitchen, which is 2000. Never mind Wisty Peach takes 7 days to grow. There is just no way I am going to be able to save up enough Grilla and have enough time to store enough crops to cook foods requiring these crops as ingredients all year round. You may say "well there are other foods you can make (and that's great), but I like the flexibility of making any of the foods when I need to, especially if one of the earlier ones is one of the best ones. But now it's no longer available.

It would be one thing if the crop was only available to purchase during that season, but you could still grow it any time. You could then at least make sure to buy a few and continue to grow all year round so you always have the ingredients available.

And of course I'm going by the assumption here that the game will be pretty much over within a year, from everything I am hearing. That I won't see Spring again. I wouldn't be so concerned if the game lasted multiple years. But it doesn't sound like it does.

Deleted user 125633

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 13, 2022
Well, that's a bit disappointing you can't grow crops out of season. I can see not being able to buy them, but I just don't see how they expect you to save up the grilla and have enough time to grow Spring-only seasonal crops.

Like for myself, I believe I am Day 13 now (been a few days since I've played) and I still haven't grown Strawbuddy or Tingle Radish. And Wisty Peach is 4200 Grilla?? I still need to buy my Kitchen, which is 2000. Never mind Wisty Peach takes 7 days to grow. There is just no way I am going to be able to save up enough Grilla and have enough time to store enough crops to cook foods requiring these crops as ingredients all year round. You may say "well there are other foods you can make (and that's great), but I like the flexibility of making any of the foods when I need to, especially if one of the earlier ones is one of the best ones. But now it's no longer available.

It would be one thing if the crop was only available to purchase during that season, but you could still grow it any time. You could then at least make sure to buy a few and continue to grow all year round so you always have the ingredients available.

And of course I'm going by the assumption here that the game will be pretty much over within a year, from everything I am hearing. That I won't see Spring again. I wouldn't be so concerned if the game lasted multiple years. But it doesn't sound like it does.

There's no time limit iirc.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017

How many years you see depends a lot of how you play the game.
For example in my case I am at the middle of fall and considering how many chapters the game has and where I am maybe around the half way point of the game. And that was with restarting the game when I got it on Steam and playing the beginning of the story as fast as possible because I wanted to catch up where I was before, otherwise I would be in winter now.

Even though of course I can't say how that will look in your personal case but if you care about going through more seasons I would recommend taking it more slowly (in what you do each day.)

Even though I don't think you need to worry about loosing specific meal in specific seasons I don't think the difference stat wise is that big (and there are a lot of meals you can do in the game)

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

Understand the frustration but seasonal crops aren't exactly uncommon in the genre. FWIW stuff like the peach etc. are also saplings that will take a while to grow as well and then only bear fruit continually in a given season which is why they're expensive. A lot of stuff is expensive because it's not something you're meant to bother with to start. To fill out the encyclopedia will quite easily take over a year, as will getting one of the secret jobs. It took me 90 days to beat the game with pretty aggressive time management (like some days I was knocking out 5+ quests and a floor of a dungeon, mainly by planning world map routes). For most people I'd expect at least a year, played leisurely.

Early/mid game, cooking is also generally excessive, as it will heal scarcely more than juices which are also a more economical use of ingredients. Whatever meal you can cook will usually be "good enough" for the purposes of stamina gain and health restoration barring the very late game or optional stuff. Very early game as well stuff like wild leaf and tiny mushroom are effective options at like 300hp + 5 fullness.