• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2021
While there were games that had forms of enhanced vision before it, Arkham felt like a revelation. It was a big part of making you feel like Batman and was meaningfully incorporated. It completely changed the stealth experience to one where you're the apex predator, meticulously picking off goons with the information you're given. Since then, lots of games have implemented a version of DV, regardless if it makes any kind of sense in universe. Despite how many there's been, I don't think I've actually encountered any that do it well outside it. Pretty much every other game just throws a filter on the screen and uses it do stuff like highlight all the bullshit you can collect or gimmicks for some quests like very exciting "follow the stinky fart gas"
R.39ad2dbd983f837c3199ed1ba8e7eada

At most you might get wall hacks or highlighting weak points, but nothing nearly as robust and diverse as Arkham.

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
I still think detective vision was used very well in the Arkham games, especially by Knight where it was even more interactive with different enemy types and the environment. However, following "stinky fart gas" is basically one of the few things I can remember Detective Vision doing in Asylum outside of predator combat, where you basically just follow Officer Boyle's alcohol traces as well as Gordon's tobacco traces. As I said though, it was used better in the later games once you started actually using it for detective work as in Origins or during the Pyg side mission in Knight.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I'm going to say "no". But I hate the mechanic and will never use it in any game unless I am forced to.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I hate Detective Vision in every game. I'm the type of player that enjoys collecting everything and finding all the hidden secrets, which means I need to play with shit vision on almost the whole time.