• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about Jurassic Park on my drive to work this morning, and my mind started circling around the impact that the movie had on popular culture in the 90's after its release. I was six when I saw Jurassic Park in theaters, and much like everyone else at the time I was blown away by it. The movie's quality has yet to be matched by any of its successors, IMO, and to me it did for dinosaur films what Saving Private Ryan did for WW2 films: it set a bar so high that all followers would forever be compared to it. This was back when Spielberg was still firing on all cylinders and seemingly could do no wrong, and to this day the first film still holds up marvelously thanks to its combination of convincing practical effects and CGI, pulse-pounding set pieces, stellar sound design and score, and that element of "movie magic" that is increasingly rare to come by.

Just watch these two clips to remind yourself of how stellar Jurassic Park was and is:

But enough about the film's quality; I want to talk about its wide-reaching impact on public interest in dinosaurs. I'm going to use another Saving Private Ryan comparison here. Just as SPR ushered in the era of WW2 videogames, TV series, and books, Jurassic Park did the same thing for dinosaurs. When I was a kid in a post-Jurassic Park world, it was like Dinotopia! At least in the United States, it seemed like everyone had dino fever after Jurassic Park's release, and the amount of dino-related games, books, toys, apparel, etc. that followed was staggering and unique to the time.

I think that dinosaurs have always been inherently interesting to kids, but their realization in the first Jurassic Park was so thoroughly impressive that it kind of shaped the public perception of them forevermore. Hell, most of what people imagine in their mind's eye when thinking about how a T-rex or velociraptor looks/sounds is rooted in the depictions put forth by JP.

The Jurassic Park franchise continues to draw good box office numbers with each consecutive release, but I feel that the impact of the first film on popular culture has never been recreated by its comparatively mediocre sequels. To those of you with young kids, are they particularly interested in dinosaurs now? If so, what got them into it and from where do they satisfy their dino curiosities?

PS - The T-Rex design in Mario Odyssey is 100% Jurassic Park.

mario-odyssey5.jpg

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, Jurassic Park is 100% responsible for my interest in dinosaurs

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh sweet summer child, people loved dinosaurs long before Jurassic Park. Dinosaur books were like the #1 thing you wanted to check out from the school library. You can see the popular culture's interest in dinosaurs reflected in Land of the Lost, The Land Before Time, and the many various works of Ray Harryhausen. People constructed giant animatronic dinosaurs and toured them in museums around the country. The first thing any kid wanted to look at in the museum was a T-Rex skeleton.

Just as SPR ushered in the era of WW2 videogames, TV series, and books, Jurassic Park did the same thing for dinosaurs.

What dinosaur related TV shows and movies did Jurassic Park spawn?

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Back when Spielberg could do no wrong."

Before Jurassic Park, there were a lot of people in the industry saying how Spielberg has lost his touch, especially considering his last film Hook was a misfire that was rightfully panned by critics.

Then in 1993 he released JP and Schindler's List which was his big return to form.

As much as I love Jurassic Park, it's never been one of Spielberg's all time best blockbusters, no matter how many childhoods it touched in the 90's. It doesn't have the strong character work of Jaws, it doesn't have the emotional heft of E.T, and it lacks the perfect construction of Raiders.

On a more positive note, I've always said that Jurassic Park was the last of the great old-school movie experiences. I can't recall any film since then that felt as seismic when it hit. Titanic made more money, but that was more of a long, slow burn. The Dark Knight comes pretty close, but there's a distance to it that doesn't make it as embraceable as Jurassic Park.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Jurassic Park, it's never been one of Spielberg's all time best blockbusters, no matter how many childhoods it touched in the 90's. It doesn't have the strong character work of Jaws, it doesn't have the emotional heft of E.T, and it lacks the perfect construction of Raiders.
Well, when a director has a deep catalog of top-notch films under his belt it's always gonna be tough to rank them. That being said, I wholeheartedly think that JP is among his best films. It might just barely crack his Top 5, IMO, and it's certainly in his Top 10.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Dinosaurs were popular way before Jurassic Park. Blame science. When museums started getting complete skeletons there was massive interest. When I was a kid they speculated on behavior and eventually found nest eggs. It was fascinating. Kids couldn't get enough.

I would say it was the massive interest in dinosaurs that spawned Jurrasic Park. Not the other way around.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Dinosaurs were popular way before Jurassic Park. Blame science. When museums started getting complete skeletons there was massive interest. When I was a kid they speculated on behavior and eventually found nest eggs. It was fascinating. Kids couldn't get enough.

I would say it was the massive interest in dinosaurs that spawned Jurrasic Park. Not the other way around.
I follow you, but would you say that public interest in dinosaurs reached an all-time peak following the release of Jurassic Park? I could be allowing my personal perception to color my memory of the years following JP's release, but that's what I'm suggesting in my OP.

Dino popularity/influence definitely seems to have waned in the 21st century in my view, but having been born in '86 I can't speak to how popular they were in the decades prior to my birth.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Half the Dinozords weren't even dinosaurs but they are strongly associated with dinosaurs.

also dragonzord was a real creature

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
My childhood spanned the 80s and 90s, and Dinosaurs were really popular long before JP hit, but it definitely sent it skyrocketing.

I remember reading lots of Dinosaur books and spending a lot of time drawing dinos and playing with dino toys way before the film was announced.

But damn, JP is still a major touchstone for me as it definitely is with just about everyone else who saw it growing up.

Oh, I'll just go ahead and throw this out there before anyone else does since it's sure to be brought up

5de0647d26c4569fc82d4e3fd64bb8f2--love-me-remember-this.jpg

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Er, you're whole post I agree with besides the "rightfully" part. That movie is stellar and lower end of his top ten works.

Hook is bad and contains all of Spielberg's weakest qualities and none of the good. Even John Williams great score can't save it. It's right next to 1941 and The Lost World: Jurassic Park as Spielberg's turds.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Dinosaurs were pretty big with kids for decades already. Jurassic Park simply tapped into that existing interest with new film technology that hadn't previously existed.

But only '80s kids would get that.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hook is bad and contains all of Spielberg's weakest qualities and none of the good. Even John Williams great score can't save it. It's right next to 1941 and The Lost World: Jurassic Park as Spielberg's turds.

I mean, different opinions I guess. I'd ramble and PM you just to hear your thoughts, but that might be obsessive and derailing.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yes and no.

"No" because dinosaurs were huge in the 80s. And then I remember when Land Before Time came out and stores were chock full of dinosaur books - as a kid obsessed with dinosaurs I appreciated it and my parents and grandparents would buy me dozens for birthdays and Christmas.

"Yes" because suddenly dinosaurs became more mainstream in that they were showing up more on "adult" venues like the nightly news and Newsweek. Dinosaurs finds became exciting again whereas in the 80s it was considered something kids were into.

It's similar to how westerns we're massive in the 40s and 50s as kids programming and then they "grew up" a bit when those kids got older and more mature films came out and found a brief resurgence.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
child of the 80s, my interest pre-dates Transformers G1 and Jurassic Park.

I loved animal books, then picked out prehistoric books for kids at the library.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I was into dinosaurs as a kid way before Jurassic Park came out.

Maybe it was going to museums and you know, reading books. I mean they were giant ancient lizard monsters that there were giant skeletons of in museums...what kid wouldn't be into that?

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I thought dinosaurs were awesome way before Jurassic Park.

And those dinosaur toys that had armor and guns, those toys were fucking sweet.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
My interest started before Jurassic Park. I remember that we actually spent a decent amount of time learning about dinosaurs in elementary school.

My nephew loves dinosaurs more than anything. Started before he was 2.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dinosaurs were pretty popular with kids before JP. But yeah of course it led to Dino-Mania in the early 90s.

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017
British Natural history museum was stanning dinosaurs since forever. Not particularly mass appeal like a movie. But it certainly kept the scene alive

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
My interest comes from:

TradeAd1.jpg
Fuck yeah.

Me too. I had the diplodocus and my cousin/best friend had the TRex. Awesome Christmas. Pretty sure I had the styrachosaurus, the raptor-but-wasn't and the pterodactyl.

Edit: Yeah but JP the film probably did it best. I mean, the Toronto Raptors got their name cause of the film's popularity.

Although...Toronto Dino-Riders...

Last edited:

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, when a director has a deep catalog of top-notch films under his belt it's always gonna be tough to rank them. That being said, I wholeheartedly think that JP is among his best films. It might just barely crack his Top 5, IMO, and it's certainly in his Top 10.

The reason why I don't rank Jurassic Park as one of Spielberg's all time best is because he had nothing to say with that film. Everytime Spielberg makes a masterpiece, it's because he has something to prove or say.

Jaws- Spielberg making himself into a household name

Close Encounters- A long time cherised passion project that Spielberg had been working on before Jaws.

Raiders of the Lost Ark- Spielberg wanted to prove that he could shoot a film on time and on budget. His previous films had been bloated disasters on set

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial- Spielberg's most personal film to date, it was his way of overcoming his parents divorce which still haunted him.

Hook- Spielberg was going through a divorce

Jurassic Park- A good return to form, but he had nothing to say.

Schindler's List- His dramatic masterpiece where he clearly poured his heart and soul into it

The Lost World: Jurassic Park- this was just check cashing for Spielberg

Saving Private Ryan- He wanted to honor his dad who was a war veteran and hit a home run

A.I. Artificial Intelligince- Spielberg's first masterpiece in over 10 years (come at me yall).

Last edited:

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The reason why I don't rank Jurassic Park as one of Spielberg's all time best is because he had nothing to say with that film. Everytime Spielberg makes a masterpiece, it's because he has something to prove or say.

Jaws- Spielberg making himself into a household name

Close Encounters- Was a long time cherised passion project that Spielberg had been working on before Jaws.

Raiders of the Lost Ark- Spielberg wanted to prove that he could shoot a film on time and on budget. His previous films had been bloated disasters on set

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial- Spielberg's most personal film to date, it was his way of overcoming his parents divorce which still haunted him.

Hook- Spielberg was going through a divorce

Jurassic Park- A good return to form, but he had nothing to say.

Schindler's List- His dramatic masterpiece where he clearly poured his heart and soul into it

The Lost World: Jurassic Park- this was just check cashing for Spielberg

Saving Private Ryan- He wanted to honor his dad who was a war veteran and hit a home run

A.I. Artificial Intelligince- Spielberg's first masterpiece in over 10 years (come at me yall).
"Life, uh, finds a way".

lastplayed

Oct 25, 2017
Christchurch, New Zealand
My childhood spanned the 80s and 90s, and Dinosaurs were really popular long before JP hit, but it definitely sent it skyrocketing.

I remember reading lots of Dinosaur books and spending a lot of time drawing dinos and playing with dino toys way before the film was announced.

Yeah this was me in the 80s. Dinosaurs have always been cool with the kids, but JP propelled them into movie legend.

DonutHole

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The word dinosaur didn't exist until the 1800s. Before then they were called dragons. Dragons exist in all kinds of ancient lore. Chinese, Norse, hidden biblical scripture, then more recently this.

dragon-tail.png

Forbidden-History: Dinosaurs and the Bible
Marco Polo's Account of Dinosaurs
Marco Polo was a trader and explorer who spent over 20 years traveling through out Asia, Persia, China, and Indonesia. It was his journey which ultimately inspired other men like Christopher Columbus to explore the world. His travels took place from around 1271-1298.

marcopolo.jpg
The book,The Travels of Marco Polo, is the written record which chronicles the adventures and travels that Marco Polo experienced while exploring the eastern world. In part 2, chapter 40, Marco Polo reports what he describes as "huge serpents". The descriptions given sound in many ways no different than descriptions given of the dinosaurs in the text books.

The following is an excerpt from Marco Polo's book in which he describes a dinosaur:

"Leaving the city of Yachi, and traveling ten days in a westerly direction, you reach the province of Karazan, which is also the name of the chief city....Here are seen huge serpents, ten paces in length (about 30 feet), and ten spans (about 8 feet) girt of the body. At the fore part, near the head, they have two short legs, having three claws like those of a tiger, with eyes larger than a forepenny loaf (pane da quattro denari) and very glaring."

The jaws are wide enough to swallow a man, the teeth are large and sharp, and their whole appearance is so formidable, that neither man, nor any kind of animal can approach them without terror. Others are met with of a smaller size, being eight, six, or 5 paces long; and the following method is used for taking them. In the day-time, by reason of great heat, they lurk in caverns, from whence, at night, they issue to seek their food, and whatever beast they meet with and can lay hold of, whether tiger, wolf, or any other, they devour;
After which they drag themselves towards some lake, spring of water, or river, in order to drink. By their motion in this way along the shore, and their vast weight, they make a deep impression, as if a heavy beam had been drawn along the sands. Those whose employment is to hunt them observe the track by which they are most frequently accustomed to go, and fix into the ground several pieces of wood, armed with sharp iron spikes, which they cover with sand in such a manner as not to be perceptible.

When therefore the animals make their way towards the places they usually haunt, they are wounded by these instruments, and speedily killed. The crows, as soon as they perceive them to be dead, set up to scream; and this serves as a signal to the hunters, who advance the spot, and proceed to separate the skin from the flesh, taking care immediately to secure the gall, which is most highly esteemed in medicine.

In cases of the bite of a mad dog, a penny weight of it, dissolved in wine, is administered. It is also useful in accelerating parturition, when the labor pains of women have come on. A small quantity of it being applied to carbuncles, pustules, or other eruptions on the body, they are presently dispersed; and it is efficacious in many other complaints.

The flesh also of the animal is sold at a dear rate, being thought to have a higher flavor than other kinds of meat, and by all persons it is esteemed a delicacy."

Dinosaurs are nothing more than movie magic. Dragon fossils are what they find. Museums don't even have true fossils. Most are plastered fakes.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Jurassic Park has always been the most popular factor. Which makes it odd that other Dinosaur Properties never really took off.
Then you can count the successful (Box office and rating) dinosaur movies like on one hand.

It's just so odd because the appeal of Dinosaurs is Universal.
Yet their potential is so untapped it's sickening. We should have more high quality dinosaur anything really, than we currently get.

It's part of why I said Jurassic World's recently was so successful. Dinosaur in Hollywood were basically null and if they were there. It was mostly kid centric fare. So something that finally offered a step up from that and also had nostalgia going for it. Was always gonna be a hit. Then at the same time a movie of that size having dinosaurs was just fresh. Compared to the numerous other super hero and zombie movies/media out there.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

But he did have something to say: dinosaurs are awesome.

Alright, ya blew it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jurrasic_world_logo_tgzjiw.jpg

-Highest-grossing film in the franchise
-Second highest-grossing film of 2015
-Fourth highest-grossing film of all time (without inflation adjustment)

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm always amused at the hate Jurassic World gets online, because it's not like the other two JP sequels were good. They were pretty shit, in fact.

Jurassic World is dumb fun and it's still a step up from the previous sequels.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Dinosaurs have always been popular

Yes. The first dinosaur film I ever saw was "1 Million Years BC", which is still worth talking about now for two reasons.

1. Ray Harryhausen and his stop-frame animation.

2. Raquel Welch in that bikini.

CkgSw8XUUAAD6pf.jpg

She did not, alas, play the part of a dinosaur.

This story by Italo Calvino (here in English translation) explores our human fascination with these atavistic monsters. He died about ten years before Jurassic Park.

http://www.ruanyifeng.com/calvino/2007/07/ch_9_the_dinosaurs.html

Txai

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My interest in dinosaurs was mostly due to The Terrible Thunderlizards (fun slapstick comedy) and Dinosaurs for Hire (Sega Genesis game with that "cool 90's" attitude).

iwQNgfK.jpg
u7gzjkl.png