• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Metroidvanias and as far as I can tell, I've finished virtually all of them bar Ori (which I disliked for a variety of reasons. I didn't like art design and the combat), Owlboy, Cave Story and possibly others. Needless to say, I consider Hollow Knight head and shoulders above any game in the genre and not by a particularly small margin either to be blunt. Ever since they improved the backtracking, I think the game has very, very few flaws.
I recall creating a thread on GAF proclaiming that once HK hits the Switch, its popularity would soar and it would be recognized as the single best game in the genre ever.

How did that prediction pan out?

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
It's still way too early to answer this question in the aggregate.

For me personally it's definitely hit that high. I'm not really a huge Super Metroid fan, though, so maybe I'm not a good sample for this thread.

You're overestimating how well Super Metroid/Symphony of the Night sold.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played enough other metroidvania's to say for sure it's the best but I will say I love Hollow Knight!

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can make as good of a Metroidvania game as Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge, Bloodstained, but it'll never surpass Super Metroid or SotN.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Hollow Knight is an amazing game, but it's much higher difficulty and darker tone are going to forever make it unable to pass Super Metroid as the game most people consider the best in the genre.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the mentioned titles. But 14 hours in Hollow Knight I can say it's reaching masterpiece territory for me.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recency bias vs nostalgia enter the ring, only 1 leaves!

I personally would put HK above Metroid (not sure about SOTN), but gotta give it some time.

Also given this forum's playerbase, probably a question better asked after the PS4 release.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it definitely dethroned Super Metroid as a game but it'll never occupy the place in time and influence that Super Metroid had, obviously

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Too early for asking that but before HK there was already better metroidvanias than Super Metroid...

Maybe I am kinda biased but try to play cave story, its not one of the best but its a really fun game.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It's definitely better than SotN because SotN was just good to begin with, it doesn't belong with the titans of the genre.

I'd put it with the upper echelon of Metroidvanias but I wouldn't confidently say it's better than the rest for a reason I've outlined before: lack of interesting abilities.

BenJafaar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's easily Goty for now and the best metroidvania I've ever played.

Never played Super Metroid or Sotn tho.

Is Super Metroid worth picking up on the 3DS VC?

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In general probably.

IIRC The majority of players got in on the PS360/Wii eras, so as this is likely one of the best selling games since most people got in yes?

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Hollow Knight and it is def in the top five of the genre but I don't see a consensus ever on it being better than SoTN or Super Metroid. Those games are perfect machines that informed every game after them. I don't see Hollow Knight doing that. Excellent fucking game though !

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Super Metroid was pioneering.

Hollow Knight doesn't have the greatest pacing and map system. For that alone it doesn't dethrone those two classics.

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the art style of Hollow Knight but a few of the environments could stand to be a bit more distinct and unique looking. Two of thirds of the game is just dark caverns in various shades/lighting.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
I long for the day this utter bullshit about "gaming throne" is done for good.

And we can all enjoy games for what they are without endless comparison with others.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Ive never heard of Hollow Knight outside of GAF/ERA. Didnt even know it was a metroidvania. All I know is that its hard like a Souls game.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been too long since I played Super Metroid but I replayed SOTN about a year ago and no, it's not even close

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how, those games have more variety with powers and don't have such a shit mechanic where you lose money when you die.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm still in the middle of it, but unlike SotN when I first played it....Hollow Knight I can put down whenever I want.

I think its the lack of catchy music. Personally, for me, music really sucks me into a game. While HK has nice music, its more ambiance than catchy like SotN

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find the art style to be quite boring, so that alone doesn't even put in my top 10 Metroidvania games

signal

Oct 28, 2017

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Let it sit with the kings.

But to be honest, it feels sorta different. Like Salt and Sanctuary, I'd easily put this in the Souls genre.

And yeah, I belive it's as good as any Souls game. The things that make Hollow Knight special are VERY similar to the things that makes a Soulsborne game special.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Hollow Knight is as good as any Castlevania and any Metroid and I've played them all. Easily the best in genre since Order of Ecclesia. The game takes a minute to get going, but the sense of progression, graphics, challenge, amount of content, value for dollar, soundtrack, and vibe are each unparalleled to me. I'm at 105% and should get my full 107% tonight. Nary a dull moment in my 35 hours.