Status
Not open for further replies.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
But the problem is that bleeds into other topics and subjects. Something less politically potent gets filled with posters trying to race to be the angriest. Any topic on relationships get turned into a race to see who can force a thread backfire. And don't even get started on superhero film/are wars threads.

Forums are largely outmoded as a general discussion medium because one or a handful of people can dominate a discussion, for better or worse. And all it takes is a couple people 'discussing' in bad faith to completely scramble a thread and alter perceptions. Putting people on ignore only makes their words disappear, not their influence. Discussions also tend towards extremes because that is what gets attention and 'discussion' raging in a thread, not measured takes. OTs are where it's at because a lot of these forces are rendered inert.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really say that it has but it has certainly made me a lot more socially and politically aware than I was even just a few years ago. So there's that I guess.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
I've without a doubt learned a lot. At the same time
it's made me an angrier person
this is also true. There's good stuff on here, and a lot of bad stuff on here, and I find myself having to take breaks from the forum more often lately to refocus and make sure I don't fall into the bad headspaces that I've sometimes wound up in. A number of OTs I lurk have been extremely helpful in growing my political understanding though.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, but more specifically the book club OT. I forgot which month is was, but the book was Meditations. After reading that, I started reading even more philosophy and that led to other subjects and topics. If it wasn't for that OT, I don't think I would have ever picked up Meditations, let alone start reading about philosophy.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
".... huge repository of conflicting viewpoints, opinions, advice and worldviews that this forum has amassed over the years ...."

Good one OP.

Oct 26, 2017
A huge repository of conflicting view points , he says.

Anyway, I've seen far more scarier habits perpetuated between here and the old site than I have good ideas that did help expand my knowledge.

i mostly use the site as a news aggregate and nothing more.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Off topic is like any other forum, an echo chamber of thoughts. Believing that by reading this forum you are gaining smarts, well I have a bridge to sell you.

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
OP, dont spend the bulk of your time here.
Dont use this site as a barometer of... anything.
Dont stick around OT too often unless your idea of fun is to navigate through a reactionary/depressing news aggregate.
Places where the angriest dedicated bunch prevail and sets the tone dont usually generate Einsteins.

I cringe at the thought of people believing they are being "educated" and "prepared" for the real world by this place.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
This is all i have learned from off topic

Z2NPGDg_d.jpg

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Current? Probably. Smarter? Not really, off topic era is mainly comprised of hot takes. It definitely keeps me up to date. But I feel like since I focused more on living without the bend of Era's perception I've been a lot happier and it's made me appreciate how catastrophic the mindset of era is compared to reality.

Now I generally focus on having actual conversations, and prioritizing good journalistic sources vs culture writer type stuff that's become so pervasive.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. It's less intellectual and Prez T takes up a lot of clicks.

I'd say a lot of space knowledge gets dropped though.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
In the sense that it's a quick and excellent news aggregator? And there's real smart ppl on here from all walks that offer lots of interesting perspective. Sure. I think being more worldly and informed is a good thing overall.

Ppl scoffing are those so ridiculously far up their own ass. They don't come here for conversation or to learn, just to feel superior. They are in fact those making us less intelligent. Fancy that.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand ResetERA. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical reader's head. There's also ERA's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into its characterisation- its personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike ResetERA truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in ERA's existential catchphrase "Oof this ain't it chief," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as ERA's genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a ResetERA tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.
I understood that reference

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
On the contrary, it often distracts me from productive activities that would actually make me smarter. Like right now.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every single post I read on this hellsite kills another one of my few remaining braincells but I press forward in the hopes that once they're all dead I can start generating negative, antimatter brain cells that rip a hole into the universe and grant me merciful relief from this mortal plane

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Indeed, ever since I started reading Era my brain has duplicated in size.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I learned a lot about politics, fitness, photography, nutrition, and more back on GAF before the split.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Been wondering this for quite a while, but does anyone feel that the huge repository of conflicting viewpoints, opinions, advice and worldviews that this forum has amassed over the years (for better or for worse) has genuinely made you a smarter person? As in, because of ERA, I would feel comfortable interjecting my thoughts and opinions into most politically relevant issues/current events discussions at a bar or house party because I read about said issue on a thread in ERA.

As a side note, sometimes I do wonder what kind of person I would have turned out to be intelectually if I were into refreshing my IG/Social feeds like most of my friends instead of spending the bulk of my time on this forum.
You must be reading alternate era from another dimension. Most off topics are essentially agree with popular POV on any political or social issue.

Saying that, footy, nba and kdrama threads are 🔥🔥🔥

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
This is my reaction to at least half of the posts made here:

giphy.gif

So to answer the question, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.