JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Akuma and E.Ryu weren't in SFV at launch so I know what it feels like. They eventually made an appearance but the way they talked about limiting Shoto characters in the beginning I honestly thought neither one would ..

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
Been waiting for E. Honda since SFxT.

Using zangief as a surrogate main, but this isn't the same thing at all.
Tried blanka but that didn't feel right either.

The wait continues. I would main the sfv iteration even if he turned out to be the worst character in the game.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
If my character gets removed, I just switch to someone else. If I like playing the game, I'll have no issues finding another character I enjoy.

I'm used to characters I like being removed. I mean, Order Sol was my favorite character in Guilty Gear and it's pretty obvious he won't be returning anytime soon. I switched to I-No and that was that.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
I think in KOF XI (Arcade edition) and KOF XII where I main Mai and she was in those two games for whatever reason (luckily she made it to the ps2 release of XI). I miss both Reptile, Ermac, Melina and Rain.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
No jam in ggxrd sign was a bummer. But even though she's in now I haven't had time to get back into gg anyways.
Just as well, online's been pretty dead in Rev2 since last year. Playing more active fighters has been a better use of my time than scouring Discord for matches, and I got to play Rev2 at Evo last year anyway.

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
still hoping for gouken as sfv dlc ... the old man could fit really well into v

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I don't really have a singular main in any fighting game, although I'll often have multiple.

Pretty much all my mains were dropped from MK9 to MKX though (Jade, Smoke, Noob, Cyrax - and the Triborg DLC just came too late and wasn't the same) so I didn't pick it up. At least Jade and Noob are in MK11.

Mewtwo was dropped from Melee to Brawl, and Dudley hasn't shown up in SFV, although I still had other mains for those games. Also Zasalamel returning for SC6 might make me pick it up eventually.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Lost Kilik in Soul Calibur V, even if he had a sorta replacement I didn't like him as much.

Young Link in Melee, never really liked Toon Link.

And I mained Ermac so I also lost my MK main with 11.

Wait, Kilik is not SCV? He was my main in all the other SC, except for 2 (it was Link), now I have an entry here too.

I haven't been following SCV too much, but I was planning on giving it a shot soon enough. :(

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Kilik is not SCV? He was my main in all the other SC, except for 2 (it was Link), now I have an entry here too.

I haven't been following SCV too much, but I was planning on giving it a shot soon enough. :(

He's in 6 if that's what you're think about. 5 was the weird SF3-sequel game that jumped into the future and had new faces try to replace old ones.

IIRC he is technically in 5 but as the edgemaster guy that just copies styles.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was an Iron Man fan in the 90s (well, still am now) and I kind of resented the Marvel Super Heroes Vs SF roster because it included more X-Men (Cyclops and Omega Red) than new Avengers/Spidey etc. characters. Of course Dr Doom and Iron Man were always supposed to be in the game but movie licensing screwed things over (or so the story goes). I love MSH Vs SF loads in terms of gameplay, but damn is the roster not all that interesting (only two "new" SF characters were shoto's FFS).
I was happy once MvC2 rolled into town and just added everyone.

Oh, and Mega Man getting cut after MvC3. That one really stings, even if other MM characters were included.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm no stranger to the feeling. I lost...
  • Urien (from 2I & 3S) & Karin (from Alpha 3) going into SFIV
  • Kilik going into SCV
  • Dudley & Yang going into SFV
    • I did get Urien & Karin back, so I broke even
  • Phoenix Wright going into MvCI
  • Nightwing going into Injustice 2
As a Johnny Cage main in Mortal Kombat & a Jin main in Tekken, both franchises have treated me well. Though concerning Smash, I'm a bit more inconsistent with who I pick up (I currently play Chrom, Inkling, Joker, & Ganondorf).

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I lost pretty much every character I played on a regular basis going into Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite from MvC3 except for Nova.

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot I didn't answer the topic.

I usually start each game and go for the new characters or the ones I am not familiar with. I don't usually have a "main" so I just play all the characters to see which one I enjoy. However I like having characters I loved in the past game so I feel more hyped if they are back in the next game.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

V, not VI, where Kilik's returned along with most of the classic characters. He had a substitute that no one liked in V with Xiba, with Kilik himself technically being there but only as a mimic character in that game.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017

Why would you do that when you can play Soulcalibur VI, which is far better than V, and features Kilik?

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
You got a totally different mindset. My main is always in every fighting game I play, because whoever I decide to play mainly is my main. Sometimes it's the same character from a previous game, but it's usually not.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a topic I feel strongly about in the sense that it annoys me how some people think characters deserve to come back every game. Take Mileena for example, was in the last two MK games but people absolutely demanded she be added to MK11. I'm glad NRS kept her off the roster in favour of giving someone else that spot and I wish more fighting games did it.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Yes, Cammy isn't in SFIII I guess lol
Anyway I'm not scared to pick up someone else if she won't be in SFVI or whatever, but I doubt it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every time I mained a character in Soul Calibur they were removed from the next game.

Now I don't buy Soul Calibur games anymore.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
My mains in USF4 were Honda, Blanka, and T Hawk, so yeah, I definitely felt this a little bit when SFV came out. Still do, a little bit, as I found SFV's iteration of Blanka to be underwhelming.

Honestly, I just mess around with the entire cast until I find a new character I click with.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
You got a totally different mindset. My main is always in every fighting game I play, because whoever I decide to play mainly is my main. Sometimes it's the same character from a previous game, but it's usually not.
This is the best way of looking at it.

And a lot of the times, your previous main comes back and for whatever reason you don't want to play as them again. Nightmare's been in every SC since 1, but he hasn't been my main in every game. Having the mindset of a specific character always being your main just leads to disappointment, either because they get cut, or their moveset changes, or they just get nerfed.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Mains....

Guile/Sagat/Blanka

All missing from the launch of SF5 in favor of what I consider "nobodies"
It pissed me off and didn't buy at launch.
Hopefully Capcom doesn't fuck up again with SF6

If a Mortal Kombat launched with out Radien I would be salty as well (MK3)

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Snake not making it into Ultimate was enough to damper my enjoyment of the game. Thankfully I've never been attached to other fighting game characters in the same capacity.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I lost Lucas from a little while from Brawl to Smash 4, when he arrived I was already sick of the game.

Huh, the same thing happened with Sakura and SFV.

Maybe my curse is that all my favourites are relegated to late DLC

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Mains....

Guile/Sagat/Blanka

All missing from the launch of SF5 in favor of what I consider "nobodies"
It pissed me off and didn't buy at launch.
Hopefully Capcom doesn't fuck up again with SF6

If a Mortal Kombat launched with out Radien I would be salty as well
To be fair, Capcom had to make room for the newcomers as well as fan-favorites like Karin (who was the most requested character in Japan & in the Top 10 worldwide, though I could be mistaken on the latter) & Nash. Half of the base roster was already comprised of SFII characters.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
TRUE Reptile fans wouldnt him back unless he was given his human disguise again

ugly lizard boi is a no go

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Ibuki
Sakura
Kitana
Seung/Seong Mina
Kasumi Todoh
May Lee
Baiken
Jam

Thankfully most of them were added back in the later/more recent games in the series, but it always sucks to see them not there. KOF always hurts the most because, aside from some of their usual mainstay teams, the cast is changing frequently.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I miss Reptile too but you act like he has never skipped an entry. Pick a new main.

Kabal was my main in MK9 and he wasn't in X, so I picked a new one.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Dee Jay.

Felt like a alternative was slim pickins. I don't like Balrog (no projectiles), when Menat came out I got used to her.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I lost Lucas from a little while from Brawl to Smash 4, when he arrived I was already sick of the game.

Huh, the same thing happened with Sakura and SFV.

Maybe my curse is that all my favourites are relegated to late DLC
If it helps, it can be argued that people are still waiting for Sakura in SFV (even though I play her, it's quite clear that she needs a lot more help before becoming all that viable compared to other choices).

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
Zafina is not in Tekken 7, and I don't really see her returning to the series unless it is a Tag Tournament situation where everyone is included.