• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This would be an interesting development if true, but... how would this work? You basically need a touchscreen to play this. Some of the hardest master tracks even expect you to use more than two fingers at once.

I've heard of people trying to play this on a Chromebook emulating Android and using the trackpad for input, and it barely works... on Easy.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Oh, I adore this game, but I had to stop playing it because my 2017 iPad can't seem to run it properly anymore:
1) too much memory used for a device that doesn't have as much as required seems to cause crashes
2) when the game is working, the damn songs and videos take a looooot of space and on an iPad space is always at a premium forcing me to uninstall a bunch of stuff just to run this one

So, while I don't seem to be in a hurry to buy a new iPad when the old one is still kicking great otherwise, I'd love to replay this. A PC port? Thank you, Sega! Hope it's adapted well; the mechanics as they were require a lot of touch and drag.

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
This rumor makes no sense at face value. The in-game charts are all designed to be variable width inputs placed at any point along the track (that's not quite true, but a close enough approximation) and can support several inputs at once (and does happen on the Master and Append difficulties). They would need to redo all of the charts to make that work with either a keyboard or controller, which isn't impossible (it's what Touhou Danmaku Kagura did with its PC version) but would they even want to put in that kind of work? That and I think the PC/console playerbase would be much less friendly to your typical F2P structure for a game like this, it seems like pretty different groups of playerbases. I'm just not sure what the market here for this is, especially since they would already be getting most of the possible casual playerbase from the mobile version.

I guess playing on a keyboard as-is may be technically possible, in the same way you could theoretically play Chunithm on a keyboard with enough inputs, but that seems like it would be a miserable experience.

Maybe if this was a spin-off with a more traditional N-lane layout (or something a little weirder, like how Ongeki works) that would be viable to be played on a controller or keyboard... but that's not what this rumor is.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Uhm... Wonderhoy?

I'm not sure how to feel about a PC port. I would hope you'd be able to share an account between systems without having to transfer accounts all the time like you do now. Sharing progress would of course be nice as well, but at the same time, sharing an account would be annoying just because I would probably perform better on one system, and then play songs that are too difficult on the other because I see that I'm capable of beating them, even if it's only on the other system.

How will the sliding notes work, I wonder.
This is a very good question. Single holds would be doable, but dual holds that are shaped differently would be a big issue.

Yuri P

Oct 28, 2017
How will the sliding notes work, I wonder.
how would this work?
PC ports of gacha rhythm games like this usually either only let you auto play or let you bind keyboard buttons and treat flicks like normal buttons and require multiple presses for slide notes.
In this case I'm almost certain it will be auto play only considering that this game has one of the highest skill ceilings in the genre and that the primary use case for ports like this is to grind while you do other stuff on your PC.

this looks like chunithm or deemo/voez i guess? is there any other catches to the system?
CHUNITHM is the closest comparison. They also added APPEND difficulty a few months ago which is a lot harder and requires 4 simultaneous inputs

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
So I did see mention of potentially using controllers like this with the game and at first glance it does seem like a workable solution at least:

But... it's a $300 controller. No one's buying this to play Project Sekai on a PC. Well, almost no one.

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017
This being an auto-play only release on DMM's web platform (or wherever, I can't see Sega bothering to spin up a whole PC back-end just for this) would actually make sense (I legit forgot that was a thing for the Idolmaster Cinderella Girls game)... but man that would be a funny "rumor" to post.

So I did see mention of potentially using controllers like this with the game and at first glance it does seem like a workable solution at least:

But... it's a $300 controller. No one's buying this to play Project Sekai on a PC. Well, almost no one.
Anyone crazy enough to spend $300+ on a Chunithm controller is... well, they're going to go play Chunithm on it (never mind how they're doing that, through some simulators out there, I guess), not Project Sekai. :p

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
In this case I'm almost certain it will be auto play only considering that this game has one of the highest skill ceilings in the genre and that the primary use case for ports like this is to grind while you do other stuff on your PC.

EDIT: just adding that I definitely don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to other gacha games so I'm happy to defer to more knowledgeable people, this post isn't intended to challenge anyone; it's more a bunch of questions/thoughts I had that may very well have answers I don't know/haven't thought of.

Seems like an expensive outlay for Sega to capture the people who might grind the game like this. The only real incentive to do this is event leaderboards, and the mobile clients already have an autoplay feature that costs money. The only people I know who ever bother are the people who are tiering. I guess those are also the people spending money on the game so it's not immediately a terrible idea, but how many people in the target audience even have PCs anymore? High schoolers play this game, people like me are the extreme outlier.

On the other hand, I've never heard of other gacha games that do this so obviously there's a hole in my knowledge that might explain the approach here. Would love to know more about it.

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm...

I thought it's similar with Project Diva with it's own music video & such. 🤷‍♂️

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I mostly play Project Sekai for story anyway so this could be nice. I usually just cast the game to my TV so having dedicated PC client would make things easier.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Midori has a good track record thus far but I don't see how this is possible.

Yuri P

Oct 28, 2017
On the other hand, I've never heard of other gacha games that do this so obviously there's a hole in my knowledge that might explain the approach here. Would love to know more about it.
I can't say too much about demographics but we've seen a lot more native PC ports of gacha games recently.
And it's not limited to very demanding games like Genshin Impact either, other recent examples include Final Fantasy VII Ever Crisis and Atelier Resleriana or even less demanding titles from Cygames.
They usually release on DMM in Japan and Steam worldwide or with a separate launcher.
Some examples in the rhythm game genre just off the top of my head:
  • Ensemble Stars!! Music (separate launcher in english. Can bind up to 15 keys)
  • THE iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Starlight Stage (DMM in Japan. Can bind keys)
  • THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors Song for Prism (DMM in Japan. Autoplay only)

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The last truly new Project Diva game was 8 years ago and it was mediocre. All the console ports of Arcade have kept the series alive somewhat but it's basically dead in terms of new content. All that is to say... I'd check this out if it did happen. I downloaded the game to my phone once but it didn't HIT the way old Project Diva did back on the PSP (or even the Vita ones).

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately this game lost me when I realised its scoring system wasn't interested in player skill. Perfect every note and enjoy your C Rank.

Anyone looking for their Project Diva fix look elsewhere.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I also don't really see how this would work. Even compared to other mobile rhythm games Project Sekai feels like it's designed a lot more around the touchscreen, with variable note sizes and a big focus on slide and flick notes. You could probably make it work on keyboard, but I don't think it would be very fun.

Could just be for the story, which is a huge draw to the game and a major part of its success.

I also wonder if we would even get it in the west. Would be pretty wild to see it on Steam though.