Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
There were a big chunk of Colorful Tone pack songs that didn't get in. This video's from before the DLC was announced, so it's not totally accurate anymore.

Glasses (Megane), Out of Eden, and Rin Rin Signal feel like weird exclusions, but maybe that's just me. Also Ievan Polka if only because it's iconic even though the video for it is crap.

Also Nyanyanyanyanyanyan! is a better travel the world music video than Catch the Wave.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nyanyanyanyanyan's omission is odd given it was one of the songs in future tone that was already made for the megamix toon look

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
So fi you're new to Miku (like me, this is my first foray) and looking for a song to practice on, I suggest "Electric Angel". Average speed, not too many holds or combos (though enough that you can work on it), lots of notes to press but not really tight / intense timing. I was able to 100% it on hard and clear it on extreme at 77%. Great learning song!

easter

Nov 15, 2017
Q: Can I edit the buttons on screen so they look like the Playstation face buttons?

A: Yep. First thing I did when I started up the game.

MIND BLOWN

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
If there is another DLC pack I'd only require one of 2 things to make me happy:
1. To include Kagerou Daze or
2. To be Project diva X focussed, particularly cos I want holy lance

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately not, just the translation to the Roman alphabet.

I've heard lyric translations can run into weird copyright issues because the rights holders want control over what the official translation is.
Yeah. Back when they did translate the lyrics, they noted how much effort it took because the translators had to work directly with each artist to make sure the translation came across with their lyrical intent, and not like a YouTube fan translation.

Jun 23, 2019
Sigh. I caved in and bought. Immediately wished I didn't. Compared to Future Tone, this is disappointing even with the DLC. Such a cash grab.

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i do wish it had the full future tone library but also i'm much more likely to play on my switch than having to sit in front of my ps4

OP
OP
pariah164

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. I caved in and bought. Immediately wished I didn't. Compared to Future Tone, this is disappointing even with the DLC. Such a cash grab.
I'm gonna say this once, and only once, and then I'm never addressing the subject again.

Who is this game for?

Are you a rhythm game fan that doesn't own a PS4? Are you a Project Diva fan that doesn't own a PS4? Do you enjoy Future Tone, but want the portability function, and can't afford (or find/desire) a PS Vita?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, then yes, this game is for you. If you own a PS4, you're probably better off getting Future Tone. Me, I'm in the second camp, a Project Diva fan who has gone full portable and will never own a PS4 unless the miracle happens and someone buys me one. I am thrilled with the purchase I made. Is it a cash grab? It's SEGA so. Probably. But for me, who has been aching for a new, good rhythm game for Switch, this game is a godsend.

And that's all I'm gonna say about it.

boatoh

Oct 25, 2017
Future Tone ruined every future miku/Project Diva game lol. I like my rhythm games on portable consoles but I can't help but compare this to the full PS4 version, and it is disappointing.

Also some of these MVs looks really bad.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I own Future Tone on PS4 and i have no problem with Mega Mix since Mega Mix is actually portable. That makes all the difference right there.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
lol literally all my favorite songs were cut. Doh well, that's on me for not reading the track list.
I said this in partial jest after quickly going through the list, but the more I play, and wow, literally all my favorite songs were cut. I guess I really like the Color Tone songs since it was mostly those that were cut? At least I still have Po Pi Po and most of Oster Projects songs

Plum

May 31, 2018
I would never have bought a Hatsune Miku game if I couldn't get it portably because, well, these aren't the kinds of games I feel comfortable playing loudly on my big TV lol. I know that sounds silly but it's a legitimate factor for me because i've got a real mental block when it comes to playing/watching anything 'weird' whilst my family is in the house (which is, at the moment, most of the time); portability allows me to play this where I know I won't be bothered.

Also being a complete newbie to the series helps. For me I got 141 brand new songs for £50 and that's an amazing value compared to other rhythm games out there.

Jun 23, 2019
I'm gonna say this once, and only once, and then I'm never addressing the subject again.

Who is this game for?

Are you a rhythm game fan that doesn't own a PS4? Are you a Project Diva fan that doesn't own a PS4? Do you enjoy Future Tone, but want the portability function, and can't afford (or find/desire) a PS Vita?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, then yes, this game is for you. If you own a PS4, you're probably better off getting Future Tone. Me, I'm in the second camp, a Project Diva fan who has gone full portable and will never own a PS4 unless the miracle happens and someone buys me one. I am thrilled with the purchase I made. Is it a cash grab? It's SEGA so. Probably. But for me, who has been aching for a new, good rhythm game for Switch, this game is a godsend.

And that's all I'm gonna say about it.

Look, I understand you are super excited for the game finally being able to play a portable PD game since Project Diva X on Vita or Project Mirai DX on 3DS. If you are playing and enjoying the game for what it's worth, more power to you. For myself though? I bought the game because I wanted to support Sega and anything Hatsune Miku because I love the IP.

With that being said, this is not a good entry if you are someone who owns a PS4 and Future Tone and that's not people just shitting on MegaMix because it's on the Switch, it's almost a fact. You're paying more money for less songs that Future Tone and the only trade off is you get Mix Mode. However, the MVS are all cartoony, cel shaded even though they are based off of MVs made in the early 2010s? It really just seems like people like this because it's portable Miku on the Switch and are fine with getting hit in the back of the head by Sega to get it.

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
However, the MVS are all cartoony, cel shaded even though they are based off of MVs made in the early 2010s?

What's the problem with the MVs being cel shaded? Some are not great, true, but I vastly prefer the new cartoon look than the plastic one from Future Tone. At the end, liking the old style or the new is a personal opinion.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I bought it with no knowledge but that it was Project Diva with a new subtitle, and I was suprised to find out it only had 10 new songs.

I'm not too mad because I didn't get the future tone DLC, which is almost $40 for my japanese version, but I don't think I'd give them a pass if they did this again.

OP
OP
pariah164

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I understand you are super excited for the game finally being able to play a portable PD game since Project Diva X on Vita or Project Mirai DX on 3DS. If you are playing and enjoying the game for what it's worth, more power to you. For myself though? I bought the game because I wanted to support Sega and anything Hatsune Miku because I love the IP.

With that being said, this is not a good entry if you are someone who owns a PS4 and Future Tone and that's not people just shitting on MegaMix because it's on the Switch, it's almost a fact. You're paying more money for less songs that Future Tone and the only trade off is you get Mix Mode. However, the MVS are all cartoony, cel shaded even though they are based off of MVs made in the early 2010s? It really just seems like people like this because it's portable Miku on the Switch and are fine with getting hit in the back of the head by Sega to get it.
Like I said, I said all I'm going to say on the topic, but I will say you missed the point of my post. Anyway, not going to continue this discourse.

What's the problem with the MVs being cel shaded? Some are not great, true, but I vastly prefer the new cartoon look than the plastic one from Future Tone. At the end, liking the old style or the new is a personal opinion.
Exactly. I prefer the new look, tbh.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the demo and got into it so I decided to pick this up! First game in the series I've played.

I have a couple of questions about button config if people don't mind:
  • How much do people typically use the d-pad? Right now I've been hitting all A, B with those buttons and all X, Y with the d-pad. Or do people typically use the d-pad only for double/triple/quad notes?
  • I was watching hisokeee's guide about button config and he mentions that to do Holds he assigns the 4-button macro to the shoulder buttons, and then hits that after pressing the specific button required for the Hold. I don't understand how this works. Why would 4-button macro allow you to hold something? Do it not count a mistake for pressing unnecessary buttons?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i wish you could change the ABXY symbols to have colour like the arrow symbols do if you choose them instead
it's hard to distinguish when i get successive x/y notes

Jun 23, 2019
I tried the demo and got into it so I decided to pick this up! First game in the series I've played.

I have a couple of questions about button config if people don't mind:
  • How much do people typically use the d-pad? Right now I've been hitting all A, B with those buttons and all X, Y with the d-pad. Or do people typically use the d-pad only for double/triple/quad notes?
  • I was watching hisokeee's guide about button config and he mentions that to do Holds he assigns the 4-button macro to the shoulder buttons, and then hits that after pressing the specific button required for the Hold. I don't understand how this works. Why would 4-button macro allow you to hold something? Do it not count a mistake for pressing unnecessary buttons?

1. Using both D-Pad and face buttons will be essential as you play faster and harder charts. Learn it now.

2. It allows you to hold because the game isn't reading the macro as a separate input after you've hit the hold note, just a continuation. That's why he'll hit say the Y button, and then hit ZL or ZR to keep the hold not going and leave you other fingers available to continue with the chart. Don't think about it too much lol.

> "You made your choice."
> Doesn't own a PS4 as she's a portable gamer and also can't afford a PS4.

Okay then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I thought you said all you needed to say or did you just want to get the last word in?

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much do people typically use the d-pad? Right now I've been hitting all A, B with those buttons and all X, Y with the d-pad. Or do people typically use the d-pad only for double/triple/quad notes?

it's pretty much required on harder difficulties. gotta hit notes too quickly to do with one hand/finger.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
1. Using both D-Pad and face buttons will be essential as you play faster and harder charts. Learn it now.

2. It allows you to hold because the game isn't reading the macro as a separate input after you've hit the hold note, just a continuation. That's why he'll hit say the Y button, and then hit ZL or ZR to keep the hold not going and leave you other fingers available to continue with the chart. Don't think about it too much lol.
it's pretty much required on harder difficulties. gotta hit notes too quickly to do with one hand/finger.
Thanks for the responses! It's helpful!

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still trying to get used to using both hands in order to hold notes and hit those pesky AY and BX button combinations.

This is my first time playing a Hatsune Miku game, was interested in the series during the PS3 era but the music is definitely not of my liking lol, but having a rhythm game on Switch was a must for me and this one seems to be the only decent one, plus Sega did regional pricing in my country so I had to support it.

I still don't like most of the music, but I'm having fun with the game, I try to hide it from my family though, it is a little embarrassing to play it in from of other lol

Jun 23, 2019
I'm still trying to get used to using both hands in order to hold notes and hit those pesky AY and BX button combinations.

This is my first time playing a Hatsune Miku game, was interested in the series during the PS3 era but the music is definitely not of my liking lol, but having a rhythm game on Switch was a must for me and this one seems to be the only decent one, plus Sega did regional pricing in my country so I had to support it.

I still don't like most of the music, but I'm having fun with the game, I try to hide it from my family though, it is a little embarrassing to play it in from of other lol

Embrace your full weeb.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I recommend Deemo and VOEZ. They're mainly touch rhythm games, but support buttons/ TV play. They also have an obscene amount of songs and music genres represented. I actually discovered some really great Japanese indie artists through them.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really like the joycon's segmented d-pad for this game. That was a big reason for me to get this honestly. I think it feels a bit more natural to use than a cross dpad.

I'm really enjoying this even if I have every other English Miku game so far. I think I'll sink more time into MegaMix over Future Tone myself tbh

Deleted member 2474

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gotta say, the resolution on some of these MVs in portable mode is... rough. pretty sure "knife" ran at higher res on vita

OP
OP
pariah164

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, which songs can be sung by multiple vocaloids? Sing & Smile can, and due to that, I'm pretty sure 1925 can as well. Any others?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Uh yeah. You prefer the plastic doll look of Future Tone? Well we all have our opinions I guess, but I thought that look made the modules look bad and that was a big part of the reason I never picked it up (well that and the lack of portability).

OP
OP
pariah164

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
Just confirmed both Len and Kaito can sing Snowman.

I may make an addendum to the OP about this.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Found this for Future Tone on GFAQs:
HgG11BQ.png

List of songs with Multi Voice Tracks?! - Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone - Colorful Tone

For Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone - Colorful Tone on the PlayStation 4, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "List of songs with Multi Voice Tracks?!".