Have you ever played a Sega Dreamcast game?

• No

Votes: 69 4.5%
  • Yes, I own / have owned a Sega Dreamcast and played on real hardware

Votes: 1,103 72.1%
  • Yes, I tried / borrowed a real Sega Dreamcast

Votes: 227 14.8%
  • Yes, but only ports / emulation

Votes: 130 8.5%

• Total voters

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I love the Sega Dreamcast. I imported it back in the end of 1998, and around Christmas I got Sonic Adventure from Japan. I had to play it in black and white for a while (Ntsc on a pal TV), until I got a vga box, but it still blew me away. I imported Buggy Heat, Powerstone, Dynamite Deka 2, Sega Rally 2, Climax Landers, Evolution, Jet Set Radio and more before biying a PAL Dreamcast later.

It is one of my most played consoles, and it had the perfect arcade, fun games combined with colorful jrpgs. I was in heaven.

How about you? I'm almost 40 years old, so teenagers today might not know about the Dreamcast at all.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i owned a dreamcast copy of sonic adventure i found on the street. i didnt own a dreamcast. my first time playing a dreamcast game was in 2009 i think thru emulation on a desktop from 2004 (pentium 4, radeon 9200, 512 ram) running nulldc. it was either sonic adventure , third strike, or marvel vs capcom 2 that was my first dreamcast game.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I and a group of friends spent half a year renting a dreamcast for the weekend to play mostly party games. Through the Summer break we'd rent it Saturday morning and return it Monday evening because Sundays closed and they didn't have a returns box so it was a free day. We also rented a lot of stuff for ourselves so the dude at the desk was always giving us free stuff.

Never owned one.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Previous threads

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a SG-1000 game? Sega - Retro

Years ago, I thought SG-1000 was the Japanese version if Master System. But I now know it was Segas first console, never released where I lived. I have never seen any game for it, nor played ports or anything myself. NTMBK this is for you 🙂

https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-an-atari-jaguar-game.772874/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-a-sega-saturn-game.772604/

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Master System game? Sega - Retro

I had 2 or 3 friends with Sega Master System, and I was a big fan of their games. They had Sonic games, Alex Kidd, Disney stuff?, and others. I had neither the Master System, nor the NES. I only got enough money for my first console in the 16-bit era. My favourite Sega Master System game is...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine game? Retro

Both games on the HU cards and the Cd-rom optical format with the TurboGrafx-CD add-on count. The Jaguar thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-an-atari-jaguar-game.772874/ The Sega Saturn thread...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Neo Geo Pocket (Color) game? Retro

As long as no one asks me to stop, I'll continue with these threads. I am reading every reply, and I'm enjoying all the stories. So, the NGPC? Did you play it back in the day? Did you try it? Or did you only get to try the Switch ports / other emulation? The Jaguar thread...

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Hell yeah. Got one at launch, loved it. Traded it in for an Xbox + Halo in 2001 but I have very fond memories of Soul Calibur, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi etc.

Now I have one modded with an ODE in my setup and I'm still exploring what must be one of the weirdest game libraries of all time.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
Have you ever played an Atari Lynx is the one I'm waiting for. Trust me, that was one stupid ass handheld.

Dreamcast however, one of my favorite consoles of all time. Games just had so much color and arcade pop. The Dreamcast vibe was legit.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
vLCi9Es.png

Yeah but only ports/emulation. Shenmue, Crazy Taxi and SEGA Bass Fishing are all still a great time.

Also, Archipel did a fantastic two-part documentary on the Dreamcast and the creators of games like SEGAGAGA, Skies of Arcadia, Seaman, etc:

View: https://youtu.be/eD7JYqty8aE?feature=shared

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I also had the Japanese version of Seaman. And I speak only a few words of Japanese 😅

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
Bought a copy of Shenmue as a birthday gift to myself the week it came out here in the States.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I have, and on original hardware at that! Played Sonic Adventure and NBA 2K on my older cousins console. I have also played countless other DC games via ports and emulation. I would like to own the console myself one day, as I adore it's library.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Indeed I have. Got a Dreamcast in September of 1999. Still have it and play it. Always keep it and my other retro consoles hooked up to my CRT.

Here's my collection for it:
tIqxW6Y.jpg

Old pic, but I don't think I've bought anything else for it since then. Though I realize now that I left out my two keyboards and the fishing rod from the pic.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Pro tip: the Dreamcast fishing rod is compatible with a few games aside from the actual fishing games. Notably Soul Calibur and Virtua Tennis.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it was my main console for a good while <3

Shenmue stole my heart and let me live in its world for as long as I wished; Skies of Arcadia gave me a true sense of discovery, of exploring a world filled with mystery; Jet Set Radio and its impossibly cool world and amazing soundtrack, Space Channel 5 (chu chu chu); the amount of hours spent on Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000, Metropolis Street Racer, Virtua Tennis, Soul Calibur; Phantasy Star Online bringing to the forefront the idea of online play; messing around with Seaman; relaxing while driving a bus in Tokyo Bus Guide...fun times <3

Previous threads

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a SG-1000 game? Sega - Retro

Years ago, I thought SG-1000 was the Japanese version if Master System. But I now know it was Segas first console, never released where I lived. I have never seen any game for it, nor played ports or anything myself. NTMBK this is for you 🙂

https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-an-atari-jaguar-game.772874/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-a-sega-saturn-game.772604/

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Sega Master System game? Sega - Retro

I had 2 or 3 friends with Sega Master System, and I was a big fan of their games. They had Sonic games, Alex Kidd, Disney stuff?, and others. I had neither the Master System, nor the NES. I only got enough money for my first console in the 16-bit era. My favourite Sega Master System game is...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine game? Retro

Both games on the HU cards and the Cd-rom optical format with the TurboGrafx-CD add-on count. The Jaguar thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/have-you-ever-played-an-atari-jaguar-game.772874/ The Sega Saturn thread...

www.resetera.com

Have you ever played a Neo Geo Pocket (Color) game? Retro

As long as no one asks me to stop, I'll continue with these threads. I am reading every reply, and I'm enjoying all the stories. So, the NGPC? Did you play it back in the day? Did you try it? Or did you only get to try the Switch ports / other emulation? The Jaguar thread...

I hope you'll eventually post a thread with stats collecting all this data! ;)

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
The last console that delivered emotions (TM) for me. I tried to spin up my old Dreamcast some years back, was able to boot and explore VMU, but not play games any more.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
The dream cast was when i become platform agnostic after decades of being a Nintendo fanboy and was it glorious.The dream cast magazine with demos every month. And so many memorable titles to this day. But all i have left now is Sakura Taisen 3 w/ LE VMU and Euro Shenmue 2.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
NFL 2K and 2K1 were some of the best NFL games ever made.

Hell, the entire series up to 2K5 was amazing.

Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 were great also.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I actually still own a Dreamcast and original copies of Shenmue and Shenmue 2 (pal import)

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Incredible system, incredible library and unlucky at every turn. It is still the most beautiful console design in my opinion.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I had a Dreamcast from the 9/9/99 launch. Got it along with Sonic Adventure, Blue Stinger, PowerStone and Soulcalibur iirc, the visuals were mind melting at the time coming off SS/PS/N64 stuff. I also remember skipping HOTD2 at launch because there was no lightgun available, lol.

Also loved the VMU.

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
Absolutely! Though, admittingly, I've always been a Nintendo guy, I think... at the end of the day, it was ultimately PSO in a magazine where I was convinced that I wanted one (and boy, was I glad of that magazine... PSO's one of my top 5 games of all time).

I remember loving PSO, Virtual On Otartorio Tangram, Skies of Arcadia and Power Stone.

NTMBK

May 22, 2023
Played on real Dreamcast at my church youth group. Crazy Taxi, Bangai-O, Soul Calibur... absolutely great. Mind-blowing compared to the N64 I had at home.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
My favourite console of all time. Sega were at the top of their game creatively.

The Dreamcast was too good for this world.

Victim

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 21, 2023
the VGA adapter was too good and connecting it to projectors was godlike. 4 player virtua tennis in giant screen was the best. Epic console

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I only ever heard of the system after it was discontinued.

Only played ports of its games on other platforms - most specifically Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
An old friend's brother rented one the same weekend Sega left the console buiseness. I almost convinced him to keep it.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I had a Dreamcast from the 9/9/99 launch. Got it along with Sonic Adventure, Blue Stinger, PowerStone and Soulcalibur iirc, the visuals were mind melting at the time coming off SS/PS/N64 stuff. I also remember skipping HOTD2 at launch because there was no lightgun available, lol.

Also loved the VMU.
Supposedly Sega was wary about Columbine so never released their official lightgun outside of Japan. The Mad Catz one we got was pretty sweet though.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
I've got a nearly complete Japanese game set, nearly all of the trial/store discs and a huge set of the promo items on release. Love this system so much.

Would love an original J kiosk but never found one for sale.

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
I had one back in the day, and picked up a unit with a gdemu installed a couple years back while on a nostalgia trip. I need my Blue Stinger box. I also have a VM2 coming this year. I love the modding scene we have for these old consoles too. I upgraded the fan so the damn thing is finally quiet. I have to learn to solder so I can change the battery still, though.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's one of my favorite consoles.

On 9/9/99, I picked up the U.S. version of the Dreamcast, along with a new VMU, NFL 2K, Hydro Thunder, and Soulcalibur.

I'd already owned an imported Japanese system and had completed other launch titles such as Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, and House of the Dead 2. However, though I'd certainly played the hell out of Soulcalibur months before the U.S. launch, I double-dipped on that game because I wanted to own an English-localized version.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Indeed I have. Got a Dreamcast in September of 1999. Still have it and play it. Always keep it and my other retro consoles hooked up to my CRT.

Here's my collection for it:
tIqxW6Y.jpg

Old pic, but I don't think I've bought anything else for it since then. Though I realize now that I left out my two keyboards and the fishing rod from the pic.
My dreams look like this

And to reply to OP; yes I have

In fact, DC is probably the console I have most nostalgia for

Mostly because it was the first console I distinctly remember actually wanting

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I had the japanese one as i was a Sega guy at the time of its release and bought Sega Rally 2, then i had marvel vs capcom i think, power stone, skies of arcadia, Sonic Adventure of course. Ha and Puyo Puyon which was my first ever "hd" 2d experience and i was amazed (it's one of the rare crt console games with 640x480 pixel art graphics). I had Jojo to i think. And some version of Street Fighter III. Ha and Soul Calibur.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I never owned a Dreamcast myself, but someone in my family did and I used to play with it a lot when I went to visit them.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I loved that thing, got it in 99 and it was a wild step up in graphics from N64 and PS1. Sonic Adventure and stuff like that was great but I mostly used it to play Soul Calibur, until my cousin scratched my disc.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I own one, but I don't have many games for it. Mostly Sonic and Power Stone and a few other games.

Are you gonna ask about the Sega Game Gear next?

Everyone who answers no is poorer for never having played Skies of Arcadia.
I mean, I own a Dreamcast AND a GameCube and never played Skies of Arcadia. I could emulate it, but I don't wanna. Sega should make a modern remake/remaster.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I loved that thing, got it in 99 and it was a wild step up in graphics from N64 and PS1. Sonic Adventure and stuff like that was great but I mostly used it to play Soul Calibur, until my cousin scratched my disc.
Yeah I had this exact sensation

Around my area people were excited by PS1 and 64 (specially Mario 64)
I was playing Megaman X4 and RE2 on PS1, and one day a friend told me his mom bought him a new system. He showed me Sonic Adventure (you know, the wale chase sequence) and I was instantly hooked

I asked my family for months to buy me the system. One day they did and the first thing I did was to grab 5 games

- Charged N' Blast
- Marvel vs Capcom 2
- Bomberman Online
- Sonic Adventure 2
- Dead of Alive 2

DC is also the first system were graphics looked so clear and sharp that I was actually mesmerized to replay games I tried on previous systems but dropped, Like South Park Rally or Rayman 2. They just looked so much better on Dreamcast that I was actually having fun just by looking at them. I don't recall being so impressed by graphics on a video game system since then

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
One of the best consoles ever and one that had given me some of my favorite gaming memories.

It was my first real experience with online gaming, thanks to Quake III Arena and Phantasy Star Online. I had to stop playing when my mom needed to use the phone.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, Skies of Arcadia was the balls