Have you ever played an Atari Lynx game?

• No

Votes: 41 44.6%
  • Yes, I own / owned real hardware

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Yes, I tried / borrowed real hardware

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Yes, but only ports / emulation / clones

Votes: 17 18.5%

• Total voters

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I have never played one, and I have never seen Lynx hardware in person.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
Yep, I had a Lynx 2.

Really interesting hardware with the hardware scaling, same designers as the Amiga.

Like all GameBoy rivals though, it was killed by battery life.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I actually thought for years I played a gamegear, never knowing I played an Atari Lynx until just a few weeks ago.

Played;
Hard Drivin'
Gates of Zendocon
Hydra

03-AALIYAH

Jul 21, 2023
I only gave a try to Dracula the Undead, and much later after its release, because I was curious about that game when I saw it in vg magazines.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Demo unit. I think it was California Games.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but only via emulation.

I actually like quite a few games on it and think they look pretty nice for the time.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
I got Lynx for Christmas in 1990 with California Games and Hard Drivin. The only other games I ever got were Klax, Dirty Larry, and Batman Returns.

It was my California Games machine!

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Never owned one, but got the chance borrow one for a while. It was quite a sprite scaling marvel in portable form at the time. Great work from the team behind the Amiga. Epyx was also one of the premier software developers of the time.

Pixelpusher

Mar 25, 2022
I owned an original one when it was released. Its huge and took a ton of batteries. I recently saw one in person and couldn't believe how big it was compared to the screen size.

CuriousOrang

Apr 4, 2022
Kid from primary school had one, played California Games on it for a bit, that was it. Weird my memory is generally terrible but I always remembered that quite vividly.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
An acquaintance was getting rid of stuff and gave me an Atari Lynx and a game gear. I picked up a few games over the months since:
- Klax
- Battle Wheels
- Chips challenge
- Batman Returns
- Ishido
- California games
- Bill and ted

Klax, Chips challenge and Ishido are fun puzzle games.

Battle wheels is a pseudo 3D driving game with impressive graphics for the machine but terrible gameplay.

The Lynx itself has a really bright screen and is quite capable graphically for the time . It has this weird choice of having only 2 action buttons but replicating them at the top and bottom and dedicated "flip" buttons to flip the screen if you want the buttons on the left and the dpad on the right. It's impressively inclusive but it just adds to the whole bulkiness of the whole unit, I just find that design choice baffling.

I never play it with batteries as you can't see much without the backlight and the backlight guzzles up batteries. I always just play it with the charger.

The unit I have has a lot of dead pixels but you don't really notice as you play.